• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Total war series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
So far I have the first Rome:Total war and its awsome! Though its different it really requires strategy with how you use your armies wisely. There realistic aspect of the game is just awsome and can make things challeneging. These kinds of games all pro RTS fans should get this. I havent played midieval 1 or 2 or the expansions but im getting the first 1 so I'll test that out.

Thoughts?

Level 19
I loved roman total war though I once played with 10.000 fully upgraded horsemen agenst 800.000 farmers. It was hillariously fun and did I forget to mention the sweet sweet "lag"? lol... I would have won if it wasn't for the lag...

Level 9
Rome:Total War is the best i loved it i played Medieval 1 and 2 but theire not as good as Rome

Level 9
I have like 10 savegames all diffrent countries i play with this a bit then with the other one etc.

Level 2
Yea I play it. Rome: Total War is really fun. It's nice that it isn't just a game that you get a bunch of people and destroy something (though it does have some of that and yes that is very fun), but there's a lot of strategy involved and you have to listen to the Roman Senate for a long time and all that.

Medieval Total War II is good as well, better graphics but a different kind of story/objective. Instead of listening to the Senate you obey the Pope and conquering Jerusalem is one of your major tasks.

They're both pretty fun though personally I only own Rome: Total War.

Level 14
I really did like every Total War game I played , But Medieval Total War 2 takes the price , I really liked that Religion had a huge role in the game etc But Empire Total war will be the best of them all In my oppinion because it will be really realistic and you will be able to be almost everywhere in the world!And cant wait until it gets released.

Level 2
Medieval II and the expansion were rather fun for me. I did like Rome: Total War, though the lack of unit diversity was a tad bland for me.

I've had many epic battles on Medieval II, some that lasted for a long time. It's a habit for me to wait for fully stacked armies, but I've been getting off of that habit. The expansion campaigns are rather difficult, most notably the Teutonic xampaign. Americas campaign was really easy, Crusaders are just plain and boring, Britannia was okay.

Siege battles were always the same for me. I'd bring infantry out, one or two units and use them to fight outside the gates. If I have cavalry, I'll use them too. Attack and hound the ladders, towers, rams, etc.

Level 14
I feel that total wars brought out the worst in me. I would be a ruthless dictator. I had the bad habit of calling for crusades and then once achieved I would bargain with my allies to trade some of their easily controlled christian territories for the hard to controll muslim territories. Before I traded I would destroy all the buildings for money. I destroyed my enemies and weakened my allies until they attacked me. Then within the next turn I would have all my forces besieging all of their cities and castles. And I would keep my crusade armies over near the places I had traded. My allies quickly lost controll of the castle/city and I would crush it all over again with my well trained and experienced crusaders.

In fact I once displaced all of the Portugese to a ruined Egypt. They surprised me by surviving. So I assasinated all of their leaders. The prince gave me money to kill his father. Did that then I killed the prince.

Level 14
I agree with Andreja :).
I really loved the Britannia campaign , It was really fun being Wales that has 3 towns against England with 22 ''In Hard'' , It was hard and fun to do it , Because a lot of strategy was needed.Anyways I succeeded to win.

But what I didn't like with the campaign is that it isn't that historical , Like when I was Scotland , Wales invaded whole England and won.I found that rather lame.

Level 14
I agree with Andreja :).
I really loved the Britannia campaign , It was really fun being Wales that has 3 towns against England with 22 ''In Hard'' , It was hard and fun to do it , Because a lot of strategy was needed.Anyways I succeeded to win.

But what I didn't like with the campaign is that it isn't that historical , Like when I was Scotland , Wales invaded whole England and won.I found that rather lame.

By Chaos theory, historically accurate would require that you couldn't do anything. Your actions against the English in the north would affect their capability to fight the Welsh.

Level 13
Capt.Griffen's rule still applies, your actions would thus change the "historical countries" actions, probably enough to influence major changes in the timeline.

So basicly: What you have now is the closest thing you will get.

Besides, what fun would that be ? You already know who's going to win !

Level 13
Okay so, your saying that every AI in the game will follow the histories of theyre nation exactly, even though you would be making some clearly large changes in the timeline, and that your actions would in no way affect theyres. So, even though you could own half of england, they would still fight the hundred years war. Or the crusades all end up complete failiures (except the first one) even though the muslim nations could all be near ruin after your war against them.

Soory, but the game would suck alot more if it followed history in this way. (imho)

In your example, you said you were dissapointed that wales was able to successfully invade england. Did it occur to you that perhaps they were able to do this because they had more troops, better tactics, and a more agressive style of play than the english, whom were embattled with you I presume, and since human brains beat out the combat AI any day, its no wonder they were unable to send a proper response to Wales' incursion. Now, If you were not fighting england, it stands to reason that they would have a larger standing army to respond to the attack. This is a good example of Captain griffen's chaos theory at work, because you threw in something different into the mix (your, or another AI's war against england) England stands a good chance of being in a weakened state, as we see with Wales' attack.

PS: I too want historical accuracy as much as you, however I believe that making the AI historical is a bad move. Sure add historical events here and there (and the game already has alot of that) but making the AI's act in a historical manner really would probably not have the best impact on gameplay. It would also tie the AI's down and make life even harder for them, and frankly from what Ive seen of the total war AI, they need as much help as they can get.

Level 6
That sounds like a good rts, i like realistic gameplay so i'll look into that game, but right here, right now i can say it will most likly not be as good as Sudden Strike 2 RWM (real warfare mod) that is the alltime best rts, pitty so few people know about it, it was made in Europe you see. Best rts in the world, nice WW 2 fighting, not as realistic as close combat but it works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.