• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Altered Melee] Total Conversion (Northshire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE 4: Mod now has it's own thread. Development on this map has been discontinued and I will only focus my efforts on the mod instead.

-----------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE 3: MAP HAS BEEN TURNED INTO A MOD. I RENAMED IT TO FOUR EMPIRES. VERY ORIGINAL, I KNOW. NOT THAT I NEED THEM, BUT YOU CAN LEAVE NAME SUGGESTIONS.

A GAZILLION OF THANKS, AND MY FIRSTBORN, TO THE WONDERFUL RETERA WHO HELPED ME MAKE THIS POSSIBLE.

DOWNLOAD MOD (This is an old version. Get the newest version on the mod's own thread)

Now, a few things you need to know:

• When you start a game, you need to pick a hero from your townhall (you only have 1 hero), and also build a Blessed/Entangled/Possessed/Corrupted Wellspring on your nearby Arcane Wellspring, which has replaced gold mines. All mining and construction is done a la Undead, so all summoning.

• There is a secondary resource called Krin (replaces lumber) that you can get by clicking the icon UNDER YOUR HERO'S ICON, which will begin to exchange gold for krin. Clicking the icon again will stop the drain, just like activating/deactivating immolation. The hotkey for that is F2. It's kinda clunky and inelegant, so my bad.

• this mod will lag at map start because I suppose I overdid it with the triggers. A lot of the buildings are also made with dummy units, so that could tax older systems, so sorry about that. I don't know how to do any of the nifty 3D things so I did it the only way I knew how.

• Divine Conduit (Human faction building - Altar of Kings model) doesn't do anything yet.

• Have fun with it! Hopefully it doesn't have too many bugs. Report any you find here, and also any feedback you have is greatly appreciated.

THIS MOD IS NOT MEANT TO BE PLAYED ON CAMPAIGN, ONLY MELEE MAPS. TEST AT YOUR OWN RISKS.

UPDATE 2: Broker of Souls now functional. Map is more or less finished. Get it here.

Unprotected version (too large for LAN, so get this if you want to look at the triggers or something of the like).

UPDATE 1: Added an optimised version that just under the limit. It's at 8.1Mb, so hopefully you should be able to play it on LAN (still no AI tho. Coming soon). Click here to download it.

Thanks to u9shasure for the optimizer, which you can get here

Man I need to stop doing this.

Alright, here goes for round 3 of picking up my project from where I left off last year. Let's hope I don't drop it again... here's the old thread in case you're interested.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description

The map is an altered melee on the Blizzard map Northshire. This is a beta so there's still stuff to come, but it's playable. I haven't actually tested it online to see if it works fine but it shouldn't have any game-breaking problems. If it does, please let me know and I'll fix it to the best of my capabilities.

The map also isn't balanced. I've tried to balance the races out but my guess is I did a terrible job so, be gentle lol.

Finally, I've designed this map with a very strong emphasis on aesthetics and it's possible I might have overdone the visual aspect.

This said, onto the mechanics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mechanics

Champions​
The Champion is what I call the Hero. In this map you only have access to 1 Champion and must pick him/her/it at the very start of the game. All Champions begin with 2 passives that level up as they themselves level up (one is personal and the other is aura), and can learn 4 other hero skills. They are stronger than the taditional wc3 heroes which makes up for the fact that you can only have 1.

Once you pick your hero, you will notice that under you hero's icon is a deactivated mana-shield icon. This is where you access your secondary resource, Krin.

Krin​
Initially, the game only use gold for anything, but this proved to be quite boring and over simplistic, which is why I brought back the second resource, but changed it to fit with the theme of the map. Krin is my answer to replace lumber. You use it just like lumber, but you gathe it differently. Krin is obtained by converting gold to krin at a rate of 10 gold for 10 krin per second. You can do this by clicking on the icon under your hero at the top-left corner of your screen, which will change the icon to an activated state (currently it's mana shield), indicating that Krin is actively being generated at the cost of gold. Click on it again to deactivate the gradual resource swap. The system works, but is quite inelegant so if you have any alternate solutions for it, I'm all ears :)

Builders​
Your builders all summon buildings a la Undead style, and can switch between General Buildings and Defense Infrastructure modes. All the defense-oriented buildings are in this second mode, like walls and towers.

Factions

[SIZE="+1"]Humans are the HOLY EMPIRE[/SIZE]​

The Holy Empire formed relatively recently after the Emperor clawed his way out of the Hell to reclaim his throne after his assassination before he was crowned ruling monarch of what was only a Kingdom. No one knows how he escaped the Netherworld but after he returned to the land of the living he began conquering the neighbouring kingdoms and eventually conquered the entire central continent, creating the Holy Empire. The Emperor governs atop a throne of gold that rises like a pillar from a pit of boiling lava, damned arms reaching up the edifice trying, vainly, to pull the Emperor down back to Hell. He radiates light that is said to render people speechless with awe, and his powers can be witnessed throughout the entire Empire through the Imperial Channelers that form the backbone of his civilisation.
97153d1296501063-warcraft-iii-total-conversion-holy_empire.jpg

[SIZE="+1"]Orcs are the DOOM MARCH[/SIZE]​

Demons have always been able of travel to the land of the living, but always with heavy mystical restrictions that make the task extremely difficult. With the escape of the Emperor, however, the natural wards that protected the world have weakened considerably. Not fond of having such a powerful soul escape from their realm, the Demons have massed into a colossal army and opened portals to the lands of the Emperor, marching to reclaim their prize like an ominous wave of chaos and destruction.
97154d1296501063-warcraft-iii-total-conversion-doom_march.jpg

[SIZE="+1"]Undead are the BLACK LEGION[/SIZE]​

Off to the west of the Holy Empire lies a group of large islands that are inhabited by vampires. Decades ago, when the vampires took over and ate the last of the humans, they began to starve, and while some journeyed east to the larger continent, most stayed behind trying to master their Bloodthirst... and the answer came to them from another world. In a parallel dimension, a race of enigmatic demigods called the Eidolons were contacted by some vampires who were seeking liberation from their vampirism. The Black Cult had been formed, and eventually, as more and more vampires fell into the worship of the Eidolons, it grew into the Black Legion. Now, most vampires of the world are part of the Legion, and those that defect or resist are branded Apostates and condemned to live out their Bloodthrist until their last breath.
97155d1296501063-warcraft-iii-total-conversion-black_legion.jpg

[SIZE="+1"]Night Elves are the SYLVAN GUARDIANS[/SIZE]​

With the arrival of the Doom March the fey kind that inhabit the continent reeled from the sheer corruption that the Demon brought with them, and promptly reacted by calling to them the denizens of the wild. Their army is whimsical, mystical, and deadly, summoning forth ancient powers of the world to cast back the demonic influence back into the Netherworld.
97156d1296501063-warcraft-iii-total-conversion-sylvan_alliance.jpg

Future Plans

Finish the map, of course (wrong/missing icons, missing portraits, etc), but if you have any ideas that can help me fill in the blanks (like spells for the Conduits and the Broker of Souls), or just new unit ideas or infrastructure ideas, feel free to leave em here. I'll be sure to credit you for it.

Help

If you have some free time and can do 3D modeling, and are interested in helping, I could certainly use your talents. It's nothing monumental, don't worry. If you feel that the map could use some polish on other areas and you can help with that, drop me a PM or just reply here.

Credits

HOLY EMPIRE​
In-Game / Resource Name / Author

HEROES
Blessed Vessel / Templar / Callahan
Inquisitor Prime / HumanCrossbowWithAwesomeHat / Radagast

BUILDINGS
Krin Mirror / Window / Tranquil
Krin Mirror Brazier / Magic Brazier / Argus
Holy Tribunal Arcane Sanctum Mr.Bob

UNITS
Imperial Channeler (SKIN + ICON) / Cleric / 67chrome
Crusader / Royal Captain / Tranquil
Champion / Mounted Royal Captain / Tranquil
Alchemist / Monk / Tranquil
Flying Bastion / GilneasGunship / Mephistrial
Inquisitor / Assassin / Miseracord
Valkyrie (SKIN + ICON) / Lieutenant / 67chrome
Saintess (SKIN) / Blood Elf Sorceress (Modified) / 67chrome
Chaerub / High Elf Kid / Epsilon
Holy Sentinel / Runic Object / Kirym
Magister (Tower) / Bandit Mage on Foot / Dan van Ohllus

SPECIAL EFFECTS
Halo / Nimbus / RetroSexual
Chaerub Wings / Holy Shield Buff and Wing Attachment / Lord_T
Holy Sentinel Light / NagaBirth [Holy Aurora] / JetFangInferno
Blessed Wellspring Light / Ceiling Rays / Tranquil
Saintess Missile Art / GoldDragonMissile / KYTON
Human Building Animation Art / JudgementCaster / WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Hallowed Presence / DivineRing / JetFangInferno
Aegis / BlueOrb / ?

OTHERS
Valkyrie Weapon / Spiders Fang / Hamsta
Valkyrie Shield / Lion Shield Left Handed / perfjert
Puzzle-Wagon Glow / WagonTCGlow / Epsilon

------------------------------------------------------------------

DOOM MARCH​

HEROES
Baron of Carnage / HeroMoltenOverlord / Nirvendor
Fallen Angel / Cloaked Warrior / HappyTauren
Infernal Avatar (SKIN) / HeroAvatarOfFlame / CloudWolf

BUILDINGS
Corrupted Wellspring / Chaos Fountain of Blood / MasterHaosis
Corruptor / LegionTeleporter / Mephistrial
Summoning Rift / Void / WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Summoning Rift Obelisks / Obelisk of Fire / Yayoi
Pain Cloister / Cruel Cloister / Gottfrei
Desecrated Shrine (SKIN) / HellDoor / Pins
Infernal Conduit / Altar of Terror / General Frank
Molten Orb / Molten Orb / Blizzard Entertainment (WoW Model)
Oculus / Beholder / SuPa-
Oculus Pedestal / Demonic Sanctuary / Gottfrei

UNITS
Salamander / Hydralisk Revised (Modified) / Kimberly
Omen Beast / Corruptor / SuPa-
Hell Bull / ChaosTauren / Kuhneghetz
Magmar / Magma Elemental / SuPa-
Watcher / Ocula / -Grendel

SPECIAL EFFECTS
Oculus Missile Art / Beholder Missile / SuPa-
Pain Ward / Chaos Banner / Pyramidhe@d
Demon Building Animation Art / Orange Pentagram Vampiric / Skizzik
Fervor Aura / Orange Pentagram Brilliance / Skizzik
Corruption Aura Flameshot Aura / Pyritie
Destroyer Aura / Flower Aura / Misha
Armageddon / Meteor / ?
Flame Pool / Srunning Flame Aura / sPy
Black Wings / Black Wings / Hanza-Ru
CurseBolt / CurseBolt / WILL THE ALMIGHTY

BLACK LEGION​

HEROES
Obelisk / Avelgoth / Sheyd

BUILDINGS
Apostate Dungeon / Armory / PrMosquito
Execution / Elemental_Crossbow (Modified) / Suselishe
Oppression / Frost_Fury (Modified) / Suselishe

UNITS
n/a

SPECIAL EFFECTS
Soul Bleed / Locust Swarm / shamanyouranus
Darkness Ripple / CrushingWaveMissile [DeathWave] / JetFangInferno
Crippling Obscurity / Punishment Missile / PeeKay
Vampire Building Animation / Cloud of Fog [Mind Fog] / JetFangInferno
Bleeding Ward / Orb of Blood / General_Frank
Bleeding Ward Missile Art / Missile / Devine
RedVampiricAuraTarget / RedVampiricAuraTarget / JetFangInferno
Soul Armor / Soul Armor / JetFangInferno

SYLVAN GUARDIANS​

HEROES
Alpha Wolverine / Werewolf / Mc !

BUILDINGS
Moon Glade / Force Gem / RightField
Owl Council Bowl / Moon Bowl / Hexus
Owl Council Owl / Owl / Hexus
Owl Council Lantern / Lantern / Hexus
Barrier Lode / Mineral / Abriko
Venom Bloom / Venolia / Callahan
Sanguine Bloom / Pyrolia / Callahan
Faerie Grove Trees / Acathla Mission Pack / Abriko
Crystal Garden / Crystal Team Colored / ?
Venom & Sanguine Bloom Base / Fungovor / Callahan
Venerable Tree / HTTree [Wind Blown Tree] / HappyTauren

UNITS
Pixie Snail / Purple Snail / Gottfrei
Sea Drake / Sea Drake / Tarrasque
Old World Behemoth / Ancient Turtle / WILL THE ALMIGHTY
Lycantrauma / Ancient of Life (+ Corrupted) / Suselishe
Shard Saurus / Bronze Dragon / Pinachet
Crystal Walker / Crystal Golem / Mc !

SPECIAL EFFECTS
Crystal Impale / Crystal Impale + Crystal Impale Hit / Marcelo Hossomi
Sprites / Navi / Elenai
Moonbeam / Starfall (Caster) / Pyritie
Feral Aura / Guardian Aura / EnetheruAnuon
Stonemight Aura / Feast Aura / eXciTe
Sylph Missile Art / Prismatic Missile / The Swamp Warrior

GUI-Friendly Damage Detection -- v1.2.1 -- by Weep

Attachments

• (8)Northshire_NewRaces - Betav01.w3x
    9.8 MB · Views: 241
  • U9_(8)Northshire_NewRaces - Betav01.w3x
    8.1 MB · Views: 420
  • (8)Northshire_NewRaces - Betav02.w3x
    9.8 MB · Views: 612
  • FourEmpires.rar
    9 MB · Views: 362
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Hum.

Usually I peruse these "total conversion" // "look at my cool racez" threads with a bit of a *sigh* and a smug satisfaction... Here, as with Retera, I'm impressed. While building "outside the lore" as it were while creatively re-utilizing Blizzard assets is something I never considered myself, I can really dig it, and believe you've done a great job (although, at least thematically, the "Black Clan" and "Doom March" seems similar on the outset).

I should really download this & check it out, but I'll be honest here; I haven't had the time to do much more than think about my own quasi-ambitious project(s), so there's not much promise for yours, unfortunately. But I am really excited to see someone else that thinks things through for their mods, and look forward to seeing the results.

Good luck.

Level 6
Hey Spellbound........WHAT HELL KIND OF JOKE IS THIS?....

An RTS that can't be played on LAN!!!!..........Can be played on single player but NO AI?..

Dude......you have to options before i kill you...

Reduce the MAP FILE SIZE....to 8,300 KB or make it a SINGLE PLAYER RTS with GOOD WORKING AI...

Hhahahaha......i just joking..

Really....for your information...an MULTIPLAYER GAMES has a limit of 8,300 KB.....so reduce or remake this game...that's it..and this will be perfect...anyway NICE GAME..love the MODELS!!!..Good Choice there...

Hum.

Usually I peruse these "total conversion" // "look at my cool racez" threads with a bit of a *sigh* and a smug satisfaction... Here, as with Retera, I'm impressed. While building "outside the lore" as it were while creatively re-utilizing Blizzard assets is something I never considered myself, I can really dig it, and believe you've done a great job (although, at least thematically, the "Black Clan" and "Doom March" seems similar on the outset).

I should really download this & check it out, but I'll be honest here; I haven't had the time to do much more than think about my own quasi-ambitious project(s), so there's not much promise for yours, unfortunately. But I am really excited to see someone else that thinks things through for their mods, and look forward to seeing the results.

Good luck.
The idea behind the Black Legion is that they are Vampires who've renounced their Bloodthirst by worshiping extra-dimensional demigods, and utilising the Night Elf models was just a way for me to differentiate them from the human faction and keep them aesthetically consitent with the faction. As you can see from the screenshots, visual consistency is something I try *very* hard to achieve :D (They're, I daresay, my most original creation to date, even if the execution doesn't quite do them justice. I actually wanted to make another TC, and if I ever do, you can bet the Black Legion is getting integrated in it)

The Doom March... well, demons look cool, and they were kinda fun to make. I mean, you can't go wrong with fire and brimstone :p

Anyway, even if you didn't try the map, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. Good luck on your project, may the Force be with you and all that jazz because let's face it, no TC is quasi-ambitious... they're downright imposing in scale lol

Hey Spellbound........WHAT HELL KIND OF JOKE IS THIS?....

An RTS that can't be played on LAN!!!!..........Can be played on single player but NO AI?..

Dude......you have to options before i kill you...

Reduce the MAP FILE SIZE....to 8,300 KB or make it a SINGLE PLAYER RTS with GOOD WORKING AI...

Hhahahaha......i just joking..

Really....for your information...an MULTIPLAYER GAMES has a limit of 8,300 KB.....so reduce or remake this game...that's it..and this will be perfect...anyway NICE GAME..love the MODELS!!!..Good Choice there...
Oh god you gave me a massive scare when I started reading your response @_@. Sorry about the filesize, I went a lil bit overboard with the imports and was unaware of the size limit. But thanks for letting me know :). I'll see what I can do about reducing it's size. Also no AI yet since I wanted to have everything done before I tackled this, which won't take long since there isn't much left to finish.

I'll see what I can do but I don't promise any AI for next update.

Thnx for commenting! :)

EDIT: Added 8.1MB optimised version to OP. Look at very top for a download link.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.