• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Torn asunder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
This is the terrain i made for the terraining contest 9, i used models that werrent allowed in the contest and didnt have time to modify it because of some school exams...so i decided to work a little more on it after the exams and to post it here,thinking that this could be my last terrain in the world editor.
I would really love to know what people think about it.
asunder.JPG
asunderpost.jpg

To clear something...i didnt make this thread to whine that the terrain wasnt accepted in the contest,the only reason that i made the terrain for the contest was that i really wnated to know what the judges woudl've said about it,and to see where i have flwas...i didnt really care about the prize.

Update:asundernight2.jpg

Last edited:
Level 36
It's a shame it had to be rejected, for it is among the better entries.

The only two things I dislike is about your post-cataclysm terrain, and that is the fact that the sky is dark and the terrain is all light and colorful, either make the sky fit the terrain, or the terrain fit the sky :p Also, I'm not really a fan of that.. Mountain in the background, just doesnt look very natural to me.

Level 11
updated the terrain(sorta):
im having a nightmare with the fog and sky in the post one...so i decided to change to night...the sky being dark...and i think the atmosphere is much better in the nighty one...but its harder to see details of the terrain.
kept them bought up there...tell me what you think.

on the pre-cata terrain...i dont know why but it gives me the sensation that its barren/dead/desolated...?is it just me?

Level 18
wow thats a great terrain. A VERY EPIC feeling to it. it feels like there is alot of space and space in this picture which makes it real nice, real and effective.

Only thing i would change is to tint and change the fog so that everything has a matching color theme. because as you can see, the sky is black and greey, not really blue as you have.

Level 19
Your terrain really deserves to be judged. Even though I was not a judge, I'ma go ahead and review it the way I woulda done it if I was a judge. I won't judge orignality, because imo that is something that should not be judged.

---PRE CATA---

The effect of the rays of light is really good, and everything feels naturally placed. Because of the angle of your camera the lightning falls perfectly on the towers, which is details that I really apreciate seeing. However, I have spotted some minor flaws too. The ground textures right before the start of the forest look very plain. There are no shadows under the trees. The leaves on the ground textures look far too large for the small trees surrounding them. The river rushes are undetailed and stick out in a bad way compared to the other models you use. Some of the shrub does too. The trunk of the trees you placed on top of the world tree models have a different color than the world tree itself, and thus do not fit. These are, as I said, minor flaws, so if you look past them, the terrain still shows the picture of a wonderful forest!

Detail: 7/10 (shrubbery, shadowing could be more detailed)
Atmosphere: 6/10 (no fog? no tinting?)
Placement: 10/10 (thinking about the towers, path, trees, rays flawless! Everything feels natural.)
Theme: 10/10 (as long as you say this is a pre you're fine with me)

---POST CATA---

For starters, I'm in love with the moon together with the sky. Also the way those rocks are shaped is really well done. You have successfully created the best distant mountains I have yet seen in warcraft III. Details such as the cracks in the tower, the sandstorm in the background, and glows around the waterfall, are always welcome. However, I still found some small things, that could have been better. I am seeing that some shrubbery sticks out with the color green. When it's night that color is usually more yellow. Also, the water looks waay too bright for the dark night sky. It should have been darker with reflections from the moon. Nevertheless, an awesome terrain though.

Detail: 9/10 (shrubbery could be more detailed)
Atmosphere: 8/10 (some shrub has wrong night color)
Placement: 9/10 (I'm feeling everything, except the red-lightened, steep area in the right corner)
Theme: 10/10 (as long as you say this is a post you're fine with me)

---OVERALL---

I don't want to be telling you what you should do, because terrain really is just a matter of opinion. However, for the next time I think you should work on: shadowing, tinting, hiding ugly blizzard textures. Things you don't have to work on: placement, scaling, everything else, because you got the skills. :D

Detail: 8/10
Atmosphere: 7/10
Placement: 9/10
Theme: 10/10

Score: 85/100 (compare this to the results of the actual contest to see how you would have done against the others if I where a judge.)

Level 11
thx mega:grin: i really admire that u took the time to judge the terrains.just awesome:D
just one more thing...well this is gonna sound extremely noobish but i dont have any idea whatsoever how to add shadows...or make the lighting in the terrain look more...vibrant.

Level 19
thx mega:grin: i really admire that u took the time to judge the terrains.just awesome:D
just one more thing...well this is gonna sound extremely noobish but i dont have any idea whatsoever how to add shadows...or make the lighting in the terrain look more...vibrant.

Shadow doodads can be found in the pathing blocker folder in the UTM. Lightning is done by adding and shaping/tinting lightning models found in the cinematic folder. Just mess around until you get it the way you want, and that is really all there is to it. :)

Level 13
i hope someone realized those are all exported wow models

It may look like that because it is just that nice to look at. Also think before posting if possible or have some experience in the matter of terraining before you accuse someone of such or proof for that matter.

Level 11
they are. check the textures

it's not like im saying the terrain is bad

first i thought it was a joke...anyways they arent wow imports...everything in the terrains except the rock in the post-cata(which are from the xgm rock pack) are from the UTM.Still glad that u think the terrain looks so good,ill take as a compliment:xxd:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Looks great =)
In a way it reminds me of the first time I wandered into Stone Talon (the zone), on my lv13 mage back in the day. I'd say it looks most like the area between Stone Talon & Desolace where the lone tower just sits there...

Status
Not open for further replies.