• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Too intelligent to enjoy games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hello Happy Hivers

for the last 5 years or so I haven't been able to enjoy gaming as much as I used to. I thought it was just my age but I've heard about so many older gamers still enjoying the sport.

my question to you is. could it be possible to be too intelligent to enjoy games?

it could in part be because I'm a programmer and while playing I can practically see how the game is coded, which ruins it a little for me since I can then outsmart the game.

what do you think, have any experiences to share?

Level 14
To be fair, you have to have a very low IQ to enjoy games. This entertainment is extremely unsubtle, and with a solid grasp of theoretical programming no fun will be felt. There's also games' misogynistic and transphobic outlook, which is deftly woven into their characterization - most games' philosophy draws heavily from Heidegger literature, for instance. Gamers don't understand this stuff; they have no intellectual capacity to be aware of the depths of these issues, to realize that they're not just problematic - they are DISCRIMINATORY. As a consequence people who like games truly ARE bigots - of course they could appreciate, for instance, games such as Warcraft III - Reign of Chaos and its extension Warcraft III - The Frozen Throne™, which titles itself are a cryptic reference to Turgenev's bigoted Der kalte Thron des Rassismus. I'm getting triggered right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons playing with their fingers in pleasure as alt-right propaganda unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools... how I pity them. And yes by the way, I DO have an anti gamer tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably higher) beforehand.

Level 7
I am not really that intelligent since I believe I am still naive and inexperienced to be called one.

But as a programmer, I see all the games I play are a bunch of moving pictures with numbers assigned to them. I take out every bit of art and story from a game in my mind and this is where I base if a game is good or not. I do not even bother if I am good or bad at playing it. This is the part where I start not to enjoy all games.

I still like games where the game mechanics are complex yet battle strategies are simple. It should involved around with a lot of numbers and formulas. Usually JRPGs. Things like the Materia system in Final Fantasy 7, the title and battle system of Tales of Graces, job system in Final Fantasy Tactics, and some custom games in Warcraft 3. I would like to try some western RPG but I fear most of it involves with immersion which I do not enjoy.

The story and art for me are just bonus points, it does not really matter that much for me.

But if I am forced to play freenium mobile games? A game that involved heavy grinding but low reward? A game where everyone just follows the same meta all over and over? I might go for it for the pretty pictures, but I won't last long playing it.

I would rather spend my time more on learning new things.

Level 19
Make more till people realize how you are a misunderstood genius.
I made eleven educational games for mentally handicapped kids. that was fun but there was no pay off as I expected. still 30 kids got the opportunity to play and enjoy them because I had to give up the project because of lack of funding and inspiration

Level 19
Have you created games for blind people where players use sounds and buttons to interact with a game?
yeah I have, but nothing too advanced. I made a math game for the blind but anyone could really play it. all my games used every medium possible to help people play. sight, sounds and in a small way touch.

the math game read out the sum and the possible 3 answers. if you couldn't see the sum you could still answer by either clicking the up right or down button.

I also had games to help kids identify the right emotional response to certain events considering some mentally handicapped kids don't have that ability or struggle with it

letters had key notes (sounds) attached to them and colours because certain mental handicaps like autism mean that they can not spell words because of the emotional attachment to words confuses them. with people naturally saying words differently according to meaning. in this way autistic people remembered how to spell words according to the notes and colours they remember the letters having.

there were memory games, math, language and mentally challenging games like logic and puzzles

Reactions: pyf
Level 7
yeah I have, but nothing too advanced. I made a math game for the blind but anyone could really play it. all my games used every medium possible to help people play. sight, sounds and in a small way touch.

the math game read out the sum and the possible 3 answers. if you couldn't see the sum you could still answer by either clicking the up right or down button.

I also had games to help kids identify the right emotional response to certain events considering some mentally handicapped kids don't have that ability or struggle with it

letters had key notes (sounds) attached to them and colours because certain mental handicaps like autism mean that they can not spell words because of the emotional attachment to words confuses them. with people naturally saying words differently according to meaning. in this way autistic people remembered how to spell words according to the notes and colours they remember the letters having.

there were memory games, math, language and mentally challenging games like logic and puzzles

Interesting. Well, I haven't made any games for the mentally handicapped but it caught my attention when I was browsing Youtube and watched videos how those games actually work. I was thinking they could not enjoy the video games we all usually play yet I watched some videos where blind people rely their remaining vision, sounds, and memorization where the buttons are located. They still enjoy playing it.

I have fears I might go blind, and not enjoy the games I played that relies on vision.

Level 22
I made eleven educational games for mentally handicapped kids. that was fun but there was no pay off as I expected. still 30 kids got the opportunity to play and enjoy them because I had to give up the project because of lack of funding and inspiration
Make more; setup a patreon account, release a demo build for your project. You need to make us realize how you are a misunderstood genius. Actions speak louder that words. Prove us wrong in thinking that you aren't a genius. Good luck.

Reactions: pyf
Level 8
That is called boredom i guess. Of course you're gonna get bored if your lifestyle revolves around programming and learning about games (playing and making them) only, but i'm just presuming this since you didn't gave more information about what you do.
You may or may not be intelligent or the modern Da Vinci.

Knowing or grasping the concepts or inherent principles of just one parcel of reality (games is one, technical side of games is a part of the part in fact) doesn't make you intelligent per se. Intelligent people can grasp the entire reality (social, economic, freaking everything, etc) easily and adapt to it. The ponderation of the different components (analysis) is automatic for them, they don't have to even think of it. In my opinion side, for intelligent people, everything is correlated (synthesis), they can't help but inter "ligare (link)" everything with everything. As result of this, their actions are the most "prudent", "fair", "human/ethical", "effective", "opportune". But maybe i'm just artificially identifying intelligence with virtue (very sad news for every human beign).

Judging by your comment, if you can't help but see a game only from it's technical side or angle, and if you are truly intelligent, then you may be an "intelligent but obsessed" person (an intelligent person under stress or messed up, because we are all humans i guess). Otherwise you are just one-dimensional (just like "basic b**ches" and all the like), and to be fair i would not identify such person as remotely intelligent (in the virtous aception). So my call is that you are either extremely bored with your life style (do *other* things), or you are under heavy stress (watch your health, cortisol is no joke my friend), or both (kill yourself; also not a joke).

Level 19
That is called boredom i guess. Of course you're gonna get bored if your lifestyle revolves around programming and learning about games (playing and making them) only, but i'm just presuming this since you didn't gave more information about what you do.
You may or may not be intelligent or the modern Da Vinci.

Knowing or grasping the concepts or inherent principles of just one parcel of reality (games is one, technical side of games is a part of the part in fact) doesn't make you intelligent per se. Intelligent people can grasp the entire reality (social, economic, freaking everything, etc) easily and adapt to it. The ponderation of the different components (analysis) is automatic for them, they don't have to even think of it. In my opinion side, for intelligent people, everything is correlated (synthesis), they can't help but inter "ligare (link)" everything with everything. As result of this, their actions are the most "prudent", "fair", "human/ethical", "effective", "opportune". But maybe i'm just artificially identifying intelligence with virtue (very sad news for every human beign).

Judging by your comment, if you can't help but see a game only from it's technical side or angle, and if you are truly intelligent, then you may be an "intelligent but obsessed" person (an intelligent person under stress or messed up, because we are all humans i guess). Otherwise you are just one-dimensional (just like "basic b**ches" and all the like), and to be fair i would not identify such person as remotely intelligent (in the virtous aception). So my call is that you are either extremely bored with your life style (do *other* things), or you are under heavy stress (watch your health, cortisol is no joke my friend), or both (kill yourself; also not a joke).
I've tried killing myself. I've tried every poison I could find. I've even shot myself a few times but the bullets always bounce off...

I've had an ever changing life style. working my own sales business, then working as a machanic, then construction and now I'm a farmer

hobbies. I've tried kick boxing, writing, poetry, programming, combative sword fighting, mountain biking, climbing, murder, investigation, black mail, genocide.

experiments. I've created various potions, artifacts, spells and tools

I think its time I simply release my contingent and destroy the fabric of reality... but I want to be sure what my reasons are

Level 8
So it's safe to say, as i utter decree you with all by bestowed powers, that you are indeed: too intelligent to enjoy games.
Take this diploma, and exhibit it with proud.

Level 19
So it's safe to say, as i utter decree you with all by bestowed powers, that you are indeed: too intelligent to enjoy games.
Take this diploma, and exhibit it with proud.
with proud?

I don't think you should be handing out diplomas

still maybe I should release my warcraft map... again... nah that sounds like torture

Level 8
Most intelligent people, like me, create their own words and language, because not even language, the first and most important social institution can tie us down with their rules and such. Geniousness is indomitable. We are just above everything. Except ourselves.
I'm starting to really doubt your worth as an intelligent man or lord or else.

Status
Not open for further replies.