• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Time Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
It's very simple:

1) board a spaceship that can achieve speeds close to the speed of light.

2) Travel far out into space for what'll seem to you to be about five years.

3) return to Earth to discover that, due to the theory of relativity, 100 years have passed there. Congratz! You're in the future!

If you wanted to go back in time, that would be a completely different matter.

Level 13
IMO travelling through time will always be impossible. The closest we can get to time travel would be some sort of computer simulations which people enter.

Besides travelling to the past just presents itself with way too many problems. First of all, let's say that someone close to you died, and you wish to go back in time to save them. So you do it and they are alive in the future, however since they are alive you have no reason to go back into the past and because you didn't go back into the past they are dead in the future.

A few years back I came with a thought though that there are many many many universeses all running in different periods time and also with different events. Travelling to the past would mean travelling to the universe which is kind of a copy of ours and is currently at that peroid. Doing something that changes the future there would not change our world at all.

Level 11
Yes, Cobra B's explanation would be plausible but at the moment the only thing restraining us from doing such a thing is that absolutely nothing can go faster than the speed of light. I think that if there was a Time Machine right now the world would fall a part one step further.

Level 24
I think it is possible but in few 100 years or so but right now we don't have enough energy to make that happen.

Everything is possible, it just needs time... :)

I doubt that even in a couple of hundred years we could be capable of creating a time machine. Even if it is possible to create one, which I doubt, we defiantly wouldn't have the technology to build it for a very, very long time.

Level 27
Backwards travel in time requires an additional dimension of time in which our entire universe, including the time we perceive in this universe, be embedded. In this way, when you go back in time to kill yourself, you are still moving forward in the greater secondary time dimension. Depending on how our time is embedded in the greater time dimension, the version of you that traversed time and killed yourself you may or may not end up dead, as a result of the alternate time line.

Level 34
Backwards travel in time requires an additional dimension of time in which our entire universe, including the time we perceive in this universe, be embedded. In this way, when you go back in time to kill yourself, you are still moving forward in the greater secondary time dimension. Depending on how our time is embedded in the greater time dimension, the version of you that traversed time and killed yourself you may or may not end up dead, as a result of the altered time line.

Something is telling me that you watched Back to the Future again.

Level 2
By itself Time Machine may be possible, but is it going to be effective?
Let me explain. The time, as it's known, is the 4th dimension. Wait... you can't imagine 4 dimensions, am I right?

Now, let's see. The zero dimension is the point. Now we go into the 1st, which is the line. The second is the plain and the third is the space. What's the fourth? Imagine the world is like a movie, with each frame being a static 3D space. Now the cine-film would be the fourth dimension.

From that point of view, the time is a line. Hence that, you know that the line doesn't have a beginning, neither an end. That simply means that all "frames" in our past or future are already drawn. So we can't make a time trip if it's not already expected in the "film".

What I mean here is:

*You can't return in the past, unless it is foreseen. But even that way, you can still be able to intentionally skip the moment where you're going back to the past and fail to fulfill the expected, which is impossible. So you can't return to the past.
*You can still go to the future, but you won't be able to go back to the past after you've been in the future. Time travelling may be only one-way.

There is also another theory. The future can never be clear, it's a projection of possibilities for each moment. You can choose either to go home or to go to the cafe, so you're entering different projections. This supposes the existence of alternative times, and that way you will be able to travel in all directions, but each travel will bring you into a separate timeline. That's why you can't kill your father before you're born and to have an effect on yourself.

Level 6
I read the wikipedia article, seemed less farfetched then. By the end of 2015 I'd say, at least for a basic prototype.

Level 10
By itself Time Machine may be possible, but is it going to be effective?
Let me explain. The time, as it's known, is the 4th dimension. Wait... you can't imagine 4 dimensions, am I right?

Now, let's see. The zero dimension is the point. Now we go into the 1st, which is the line. The second is the plain and the third is the space. What's the fourth? Imagine the world is like a movie, with each frame being a static 3D space. Now the cine-film would be the fourth dimension.

From that point of view, the time is a line. Hence that, you know that the line doesn't have a beginning, neither an end. That simply means that all "frames" in our past or future are already drawn. So we can't make a time trip if it's not already expected in the "film".

What I mean here is:

*You can't return in the past, unless it is foreseen. But even that way, you can still be able to intentionally skip the moment where you're going back to the past and fail to fulfill the expected, which is impossible. So you can't return to the past.
*You can still go to the future, but you won't be able to go back to the past after you've been in the future. Time travelling may be only one-way.

There is also another theory. The future can never be clear, it's a projection of possibilities for each moment. You can choose either to go home or to go to the cafe, so you're entering different projections. This supposes the existence of alternative times, and that way you will be able to travel in all directions, but each travel will bring you into a separate timeline. That's why you can't kill your father before you're born and to have an effect on yourself.

False. Wrong.

But, there is one thing that scientists didn`t expected....
We simple can`t travel into past of future.... Or we can?
We can only travel in the SPACE-TIME!
So, I shall go into another side of Universe, but maybe I will come into past or into future. It`s simple when you take human as space time. Leg can`t live alone, and so time or space can`t live alone they are together, as there is one human with his parts...........

Level 2
Believe me, there are soooo many theories and hypothesises that you will just want to think what you feel most comfortable :p

Level 16
There's several theories of time travel out there, and frankly most of them aren't accepted by the scientific community as a whole. Most likely there won't be any forms of time travel in our life time, at the very least. And as to the multi-verse theory, most scientists think of that as the crackpot theory. And if you want a good fictional novel on the subject, I would suggest timeline. Crichton did a good amount of research when writing that book. And as said previously about the grandfather paradox, if it was in the "actual" past, then you would be restricted of free will. Now, if you were able to go back in time, technically speaking, it could be possible that if you were to kill your grandfather, you would be killed or prevented from doing so, in some way.

~Snap

Level 14
If we could travel at the speed off light we'd travel forward in time quicker but we wouldn't be able to get back again.

Status
Not open for further replies.