• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Tides of Blood: Version O Beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
I guess the team at Tides of Blood really doesn't give a rat's ass about the other members of the community (perhaps elitist attitudes) it's been over a week and you haven't shared any information on what was causing OS X to fail. Whatever though I've given up on this game not only are certain heroes still enormously overpowered but you have bugs and lag spikes all throughout the game.

I'll be as about as specific as you were.

Last edited:
Level 8
Yo, be cool, be cool.

Its probably just that most of them are hanging on tob forums. I too had almost forgotten this thread, before I check that user CP thingy of mine.

edit. I have no knowledge about what you are asking, btw. Wc3 modding is in me no more. I only hang here because of tob.

Level 24
I finally got the time to play this, and to be honest, I did not know just what to expect at first, I had heard about ToB being awesome for a long time, but could it really live up to these expectations? It could, and it did.

The terrain was great and looked even better when thinking of the terrain of the average AoS.
The custom resources looked really good as well. Take the pirate, he's nothing less than an example of an awesome model.

Anyway, fancy terrain and models apart, what really matters is gameplay, and more specifically, is this map entertaining?
Not unexpected, yes, this is a very entertaining map. Unlike, say, DotA, ToB has a much simpler shop system. You just buy an item, a gemstone and socket it. It is as simple as that. The heroes were good, I played the Phantom Queen, tons of fun, (although the model was a bit boring, oh well), upgrading creeps was another neat feature that I liked. Finally, the blood meter, oh yes the blood meter, I loved it.

There isn't much more to say, I suppose, except that this map is more than worth playing.
Kudos to the developers.

Level 18
Sure but that has come over several years of development. Any game that has lasted as long as DotA has is going to have a lot of content; otherwise nobody would still be playing it.

Level 18
Sounds like you believe this map is new?

Many would argue that Tides of Blood O is a completely new game compared to Tides of Blood N, but that is besides the point.

This has been under development for years. Just look at the first post.

The amount of players who play Tides of Blood are less than 1% of the players that play DotA Allstars. Tides of Blood is a fan-based game, where DotA Allstars has been a major BNet hit even since Tides of Blood N was out. The point being that there is far more traffic for a game like DotA Allstars and as such it requires a lot more to maintain it and keep its players happy.

I'm sure if you were to look at the statistics of how many games of Tides of Blood have been played as to how many games of DotA Allstars has been played the ratio would be astronomical, you can't even compare the mechanics of a game like DotA Allstars to a game like Tides of Blood, doing so just proves that DotA Allstars has had such a great impact on your life that you feel the need to lesser its accomplishments so that Tides of Blood shines more.

The items in DotA Allstars are like the unit upgrades in Tides of Blood, if you don't know them well then you're going to lose. As it is caster upgrades in Tides of Blood are completely over-powered and if you're not investing in unit upgrades then you will most definitely lose, at least in DotA Allstars you don't have to know exactly how to play in order to not get completely obliterated in the game. It's not like Tides of Blood is balanced either, but neither is DotA Allstars.

In my experience, playing with average public BNet players, every single Tides of Blood O game I have played has been a prolonged waste of my time. It always seems to end up with one team winning by a landslide over the other, with absolutely no possibility of returning for victory. The entire game is dictated by how well you know the game mechanics, and how many things you can abuse in the time it takes to play the game.

Last edited:
Level 12
It's just too bad dota has an absolutely shit, rag-tag game design behind it with absolutely no real thought behind it. It just kind of... Evolved, piling feature onto feature and promoting exploits onto gameplay features.

It also looks absolutely horrid. And i don't mean just because it lacks custom resources (real ones, not wow icons and UT sounds) but the characters and generally designed with no aesthetic grace, using models not suited to be hero characters and combining spells that have no connection to the model or its animations, like skeletons shooting spears out of their bellies.

Our goal has been to create something genuinely good, not to cater to fans, not to cater to the average player. Just because we can, and it is awesome.

Level 18
Our goal has been to create something genuinely good, not to cater to fans, not to cater to the average player. Just because we can, and it is awesome.

Development quality and playback quality are two different things; perhaps you have achieved a quality in design but the playback is worse than your previous work - I would say DotA Allstars is a pretty poorly balanced game, but when it is compared to Tides of Blood O it is one of the most balanced custom games on BNet.

Once the game progresses past 20-30 minutes the balance wavers incredibly, not to mention it always seems to pile lag on towards the end of the average game - perhaps you think you did a good job (and design-wise you probably did) but when it comes to making a balanced playable game I give Tides of Blood O a 1/10; the game isn't even decided by how well anybody plays, it is decided by what your money is invested into (such as creep upgrades).

Status
Not open for further replies.