• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

thief question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I feel that I don't contribute enough for my team. priest can heal, mage hits hard, ranger comes with her wolf, and squire can tank. and i don't think i hit any harder than rangers..

I also found that some spells are not usable in combat mode, such as stealth and traps, so I don't know if those skills are actually usefull in anything?

and also, how usefull is assassin or bard in later game? what does those class could do better than other classes?

right now I put points into agi and constitution. should i put some to str or other stats too?

sry for the nooby quiestion :(

Level 14
Agi + Const is fine.

Thief has actually decent damage (dont forget the Poison debuff, its really strong). When you become an assassin your damage will be really high and as a bard you get valuable buffs for the whole team. And about the lack of skills - i agree that thief has less "pure combat skills" than most of the other classes, but his autoattack is strong due to high attackspeed (daggers and offhands give +aspd) and as an assassin you get additional combat skills (and even the possibility to enter stealth in combat). If you play a lot solo or in a smaller team you should probably chose assassin over bard, since bard needs a large team to maximize his supporting effectivity.

Dont worry, at least in the endgame content thief-derivatives are not underpowered ;)

Level 3
Man assasin is the uber dmg dealer in late game...with good items atm i am doing 330 crit dmg with 50% chance for crit you do the math.Mage need time to cast his spells most of witch are channeling.Assasin hits very fast for a lot of dmg.And bard is anything kind of useless....average dmg, almost no support and believe me dont regret you are playing thief just go for assa class change :)

Level 14
Man assasin is the uber dmg dealer in late game...with good items atm i am doing 330 crit dmg with 50% chance for crit you do the math.Mage need time to cast his spells most of witch are channeling.Assasin hits very fast for a lot of dmg.And bard is anything kind of useless....average dmg, almost no support and believe me dont regret you are playing thief just go for assa class change :)

Blah bard useless, i guess u havent seen mine yet ^_° The only problem with bard is that you should only have one of them in the team.

Level 3
Muzzel there is no better support classes than druid and bishop ... heals buffs summons... i think that this is what support means.2-3 skills that gives you 5-10 stats is kind of useless...the rest of your game is trying to do some dmg and bard isnt exactly pure dmg type..

Level 14
I dont consider aoe healing as support (as every team needs a healer while the supporting role is optional).

Bard offers:
Songs:
+19 Str (= 9 ArP)
+15% Magic Dmg (For Necro/Sorc that is pretty much +15% total dps output)
-20% Threat

Poison:
-18 Armor

Auras:
+7% Aspd
+5 Int

Others:
+ Steal
+ 35% for second drop
+ Inspire (150 Mana every 160s)

And he still has like 250 dps ST. How could anyone not see bard as the best supporting hero?

(About bladedancer: i tried it and it is funny, epic dps output :D But the first talent tree is just too nice)

€: small example with crusader and a target with high armor:
vigor = +28 dmg
poison = +18 dmg
int aura = 1 dmg (i think) and a heal boost
total: +47 dmg, +25 heal

Last edited:
Level 2
Ah ok thx for the input, i think i will go for assa because i dont have that many people to get play together.

So pure agi and con is just fine ehh, i'm wondering if assa can have take some beating. Isnt wis increases ressistance too? So maybe some points to it coukd be more benefical.

Also, i dont really get the evasion formula... So the higher base agi the worse my dodge will? (which i thunk thief has a high base agi)

This is just as a balancing factor. It doesn't mean that agi is less powerful for thieves, but as it's much easier to accumulate agi as a thief, there has to be a difference in the reward-per-point formula.
Base agi means the agi of a naked thief of your level with unspent skill points. So now, spending skillpoints into agi does not mean your evasion goes down.

Level 3

After farming for 4 hours on garg and you finally get the drop you want, you'll be uber grateful that there's such thing as a Lorekeeper Bard.

Level 2
so, from my gameplay i finally get to lv 30 and find that i can choose a talent from now on!

how is the talent system here? in total, how many talent points could be spent?

also for thief, which talent is the best? Imo, Perfidious Tricks is the most unappealing for me right now, I don't quite understand the "2: 'Backstab' also interrupts the target." isn't backstab always interupts?

Level 10
You receive a new talent point every 4 levels (I.e. lvl 30, 34, 38, 42, 46, and 50) so six talent points in all. Zwiebel hinted we might see 1 quest or so in 1.2b/c which would have a reward of a talent point allowing us to get 7 but thst may or may not happen and I would not count on it. As for which talent tree to go that ultimately depends on you and how you want to play. I honestly think all the talent trees are good in there own way for each class

Level 2
hmm ok thx, i think i'm going to try 4/2/0 for the talent :D

so about the lvl, i noticed that we can only get exp from the mob that is 4 lvl below, so it's lv47 for me (from the black bear). so how can i train so i can get to lv50?

Level 10
You'll have to get level 50 from the brood mother boss or the garg boss. There are no creeps above lvl 46 in 1.2a so you just have to grind it out with boss battles. You can always restat your talent system too if you disapprove of the build so definitely try out a few builds if you need to to find one you enjoy :]

Level 2
You'll have to get level 50 from the brood mother boss or the garg boss. There are no creeps above lvl 46 in 1.2a so you just have to grind it out with boss battles. You can always restat your talent system too if you disapprove of the build so definitely try out a few builds if you need to to find one you enjoy :]

thx for the quick reply soulseeker. also, I heard that there's some equipments that is quest drop only and can't be purchased nor dropped from any monster. I'm afraid of missing those equipments, which quest or which item is it?

also, if youcould help, i don't quite understand the effect of thief's third talent perfedious trick which is "2: 'Backstab' also interrupts the target." do you know what's the use of it?

Level 4
There are some targets that are unstunnable, like Lord Andrazzar from d3. So in order to interrupt his spells you need that talent.

Level 13
Righto. Sorry for the late reply chiya. To answer your question about pvp; yes, it is fun but its not appropriately balanced so I don't enjoy it as much as, say, a game of dota. However pvp in gaias can be fun with the right people, just be careful with who you attack!

In regards to your discussion here, glad to see you're making such good progress with an assassin! Definitely a reliable class. I'm pretty sure all of your questions have been answered and as Titan stated above, Interrupt and Stun are two different things in gaias. Stuns usually have a duration of say, 1-2 seconds. They break the channel of opponents and work in a similar way to how stun works in regular WC3. However, some enemies cannot be stunned and some channelled spells cannot be interrupted with a stun.

An interrupt is an instantaneous effect, lasting all of .1 seconds or so, that breaks the channelling on a targets spellcasting. Certain spells, not all but very specific spells, can be interrupted, but not stunned.

A good example of this is indeed Lord Andrazzar's Shadowbolt spell.

Shield Slam, Meteor and Coup de Grace are the only spells that can currently interrupt targets, excluding talents.

On the whole Sin / Bard thing, both are viable options. Sins in 1.2A put out crazy bloody dps however a support, and yes, a bard is a magnificent support, can be a much more viable option in certain situations. Especially with inspire.

However, bards do need a bit of a buff skill and somewhat talent wise.

Anyway, back to assassins, you should find yourself dealing quite reliable single target damage now. With the skill Sweeping Blades you'll be a strong support for any D3 runs you may wish to do along with any Gargoyle fights you attempt. Assassins are an extremely simple class to play. I'd highly suggest trying out the bard as well as having both can be quite beneficial to teams.

If you have any other questions I'll try help as best I can :D

Status
Not open for further replies.