• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Theory: Moon Shipping:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Moon Shipping:

What you see in the video above is in my opinion without a doubt the saddest moment in WarCraft history, or at least it used to be. I started thinking to myself why Elune made such a huge event of the death of Ysera. Lets face it we've witnessed the death of Tyrande in the Caverns of Time whom Eluned favoured quite a lot and we've also seen the death of Cenarius and Malorne, both of them twice. So what makes Ysera so special? But Ysera is not the first that Elune has done this to, lets take a look at Malorne and in the short story "The White Stag and the Moon" we find out this:

The White Stag and the Moon said:
Seeking to escape, the great stag leapt into the sky. Yet, as his escape seemed assured, his mighty antlers tangled in the stars which held him fast.

This story is awfully specific not to mention strange at best, Blizzard lore states quite specificity that interstellar objects are just the same as in real life so how then can you get tangled in between them, that would make you far too massive to be ever consider Tauren to be a threat. What if I told you that the thing that Malorne in reality did not leap to the stars (not really surprising, I know) but instead that he died and his spirits were taken to the stars by Elune, just as the spirit of Ysera was. Do you remember what I said, that I used to think that the death of Ysera was the most tragic thing to have ever happened. The reason I say "used to" is because I no longer think it's tragic, at least not if you view it from Yseras perspective. Because what happened when Apa'ro/Malorne was taken to the stars (died)? He was able to be with Elune and the two even conceived a child, Cenarius. So what if the same was true for Ysera, she was taken, got tangled in the stars and was brought to the side of her true love, Elune.

Does it seem like a stretch? Lets go back to "War of the Ancients" and "Day of the Dragon" in "Day of the Dragon" it is said that Alexstrasza had 4 consorts, Korialstrasz, Tyranstrasz and two others who died trying to defend her against Nekros, it is also said in "War of the Ancients" that Alexstrasza was in love with Neltharion. Speaking of "War of the Ancients", that book also states that all the male aspects have several consorts each, and in the Nexus Wars we even encounter several consorts of Malygos as well as Haleh in Winterspring. So what does this mean, well quite obviously since 4/5 aspects have multiple consorts they are poly-romantic, they have several love interests at the same time. But wait I said 4/5... That's right Ysera is the only dragon Aspect we know who only has one consort... but why? Eranikus is as far as we know the only consort Ysera has ever had and she never took up any new consort after his death, why is that? Well it's my belief that she never really loved Eranikus to begin with, so if she didn't love him why make him a consort. Lets look at her personality, in "Dawn of the Aspects" we find out that she is by far the most protective and caring of all the Aspects even more so than her sister Alexstrasza, time and time again we see Ysera fight relentlessly in order to protect the helpless even when no one else does. Of all the characters she seems by far to be the most parental of all WarCraft characters we've encountered so far. This can be seen not just in "Dawn of the Aspects" but also on how she reacts in regards to her adoptive son Cenarius. Speaking of Cenarius, Elune could have entrusted him in the care of anyone so why did she pick Ysera, why not one of the other Ancients who had more in common with her son like Aviana, who was quite clearly also a very motherly character? What if Elune picked Ysera because the two were very much in love and in reality the two women acted as parents to the demigod.

But not only did Ysera pick Eranikus as a consort because of a desire to raise children but also because it was the task that was put on her. The Aspects were charged with maintaining their species, in Yseras case this meant producing offspring, whether or not this was entirely her own desire remains unknown. This would also explain why she is the only one with only one consort because she wouldn't care about ever getting more than one as she doesn't love any man but still has to have at least one to reproduce. Think about it, can you recall any interaction between Ysera and Eranikus, it seems almost as if they had the bare minimum of contact. As you may have figured out this is where the theory turns dark. If we go back to "Dawn of the Aspects" we see Ysera acting out in passive aggressive behaviour when Kalecgos asks for aid in leading his people, she's also grows aggravated by her daughter when she suggests that her mother should investigate the Emerald Dream, why? Why is Ysera so unwilling to take on responsibility, in her younger years she shouldered so many lives and strived to save everyone no matter if that gave her alone and under immense pressure. So Ysera's not lazy what then could cause her reluctance? My theory is that the reason she was so reluctant to take on responsibility was because she has spent tens if not hundreds of millennials shouldering the survival of an entire race, and having to the vast space of the Emerald Dreams fighting of the Old Gods Yogg-Saron and N'Zoth both trying to claw their way into her domain. Ysera is cracking beneath the weight of all responsibility, yes she may be a dragon-goddess the size of a mountain, but she's still only one person. She has to fight two of the most evil forces ever to have existed at the same time as caring for an entire race and every time there is the slightest bit of problem everyone turns to her, expecting a perfect solution to all their problems. Ask yourself who wouldn't be tired.

That's great and all but what does Yseras fatigue have to do with her death? Well it's simple, by dying Ysera gained what she had never had before, a life. She was brought to the side of the woman she loved finally relieved of the burden of responsibility she could for the first time ever do what she wanted. Ysera was the most caring individual ever to have lived and threw herself into a way to early adulthood simply to protect others while still struggling to protect herself. And now that she is dead Ysera is finally free to follow her heart.

So what do you think, do you believe in Ysera and Elune as a romantic duo, please comment bellow and let me know. These things take a lot of work so I'm always overjoyed when I get a lot of responses from you guys. :)

Level 24
Really interesting, @Razosh. I'm impressed.
But Ysera was a lesbian, really? I didn't know that, and especially because I never played WoW to begin with...

It's just a theory but from my point of view it makes a lot of sense and would make for an awesome story as it would give the mostly overlooked character of Ysera a rich story and give her a reason for all her actions we've seen in the past.

and would Ysera still come and protect somebody if she saw some bad things happening down the heavens?

I think she would not bother, she has spent lifetimes beyond counting saving our useless hides, I think now is the time when she can finally shed those burdens and rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.