• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Themes & OSTs

Level 30
There will be blood ost, nuovo cinema paradiso ost, social network ost. Good films too!
Edit: Links as requested, I highly advise you to experience all of these soundtracks while watching the film, though, it makes a big difference.

There Will Be Blood, a film by P.T. Anderson (2007): "Prospectors Arrive", OST by Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead)

Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, an absolute classic by Giuseppe Tornatore (1988), with a beautifully warm soundtrack by Ennio Morricone (of Il Brutto, Il Buono, Il Cattivo)

Social Network, another fairly recent work directed by David Fincher about Facebook (2010), with a very mood defining and interesting soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (of Nine Inch Nails)

Edit: I thought of some more.
The Painted Veil (2006), by John Curran, a decent movie starring Edward Norton (I have a huge lady boner for this guy). The soundtrack was composed by Alexandre Desplat, who composed for The curious case of Benjamin Button, The Danish Girl, Fantastic Mr. Fox and even Harry Potter "The deathly hallows pt 1 & 2".
The movie was decent, like I said, but I wouldn't go about recommending it like if it wasn't for the moment in the film when this starts to play, which worked very well: "À la claire Fontaine", a traditional French song:

And also, ofcourse the soundtracks of Whiplash and La La Land (2014 and 2016) both films written & directed by Damien Chazelle, who lays a very large focus on music in his films. Both films were scored by Justin Hurwitz;

and

Last edited:
Level 28
I remember that during the film I found this track amazingly dull/boring, no clear idea why. Maybe it is the composition or the way it was presented in the scenes... idk.

Unlike this track from Moana, which had positive vibe really got me right from the start, and got stuck in my head for the days after (in a good way):

Edit: just saw that my quote was nonsensical and corrected it haha.

Last edited:
Level 30
I remember that during the film I found this track amazingly dull boring, no clear idea why. Maybe it is the composition or the way it was presented in the scenes... idk

Well it's a very good single and it works very well in the story. Adding in those short bits of laughter, in the film? How does that work? Did they record the songs first in the studio and lip sync it afterwards? Did they do the film shoot first and recorded audio later? I don't fucking know. It's pretty meta and it seems very real at the same time.

There might have been more musical songs on the film, but I was thoroughly impressed by the amounts of storytelling this bit of audio brings to the table.
The song is simple. Why? Because Sebastian isn't trying to impress anyone, he's just having a nice time with his girlfriend. An elitist jazz musician who sings such a cheesy pop song for his girlfriend with the message of "City of Stars, are you shining just for me?" It's a song that really ties them together and establishes them as 2 people who are looking for the same things in life. They connect on a deeper level here, with the sort of lighthearted touch that comes with a newfound romance.

It's good character development and made me care more about these 2 wacky youngsters. I get that some people might find it a bit tedious as it's not really progressing the story, but I didn't find it boring at all. The whole movie is about a weird post-modern nostalgia towards the old musicals and pays homage to a lot of famous pieces. I think this part in the film serves a purpose just like that, to a time when the music industry recorded songs for the sole purpose of selling the sheetmusic, and families gathered around the piano singing these songs. I don't know, it hit me deeper than just "2 people sing a cheesy popsong behind a piano".

Level 28
Well it's a very good single and it works very well in the story. Adding in those short bits of laughter, in the film? How does that work? Did they record the songs first in the studio and lip sync it afterwards? Did they do the film shoot first and recorded audio later? I don't fucking know. It's pretty meta and it seems very real at the same time.]

There might have been more musical songs on the film, but I was thoroughly impressed by the amounts of storytelling this bit of audio brings to the table.
The song is simple. Why? Because Sebastian isn't trying to impress anyone, he's just having a nice time with his girlfriend. An elitist jazz musician who sings such a cheesy pop song for his girlfriend with the message of "City of Stars, are you shining just for me?" It's a song that really ties them together and establishes them as 2 people who are looking for the same things in life. They connect on a deeper level here, with the sort of lighthearted touch that comes with a newfound romance.

It's good character development and made me care more about these 2 wacky youngsters. I get that some people might find it a bit tedious as it's not really progressing the story, but I didn't find it boring at all. The whole movie is about a weird post-modern nostalgia towards the old musicals and pays homage to a lot of famous pieces. I think this part in the film serves a purpose just like that, to a time when the music industry recorded songs for the sole purpose of selling the sheetmusic, and families gathered around the piano singing these songs. I don't know, it hit me deeper than just "2 people sing a cheesy popsong behind a piano".

Oh, your in-depth explanation just made the song a lot better, haha. I didn't see all the storytelling aspect of it by the time I was watching the movie, perhaps because didn't get emphatic enough towards the characters yet, so I was left with a slow paced, cheesy song. Not that I found the song terrible though, I just thought it sounded bland, or that its melody was a bit too predictable, idk. A shame I couldn't get all that experience you mentioned here, would've made it much better.

Level 7
Let 4 tracks be themes to my Hamfolk race. (A silly race i made up for my maps... for wars. I want to make this race look like the Kobolds from Might and Magic Heroes VII)
Theme 1 (Dawn of War - Imperial Guard Theme)
Theme 2 (Winter Assault Battles - Vol. 3. Part 1 0:00-2:04)
Theme 3 (Winter Assault Battles - Vol. 1. Part 2 2:08-4:14)
Theme 4 (Winter Assault Main Theme)

And that's it for now.

Level 36
Neat idea.

Like everything else in the game, the music of the Last of Us is phenomenal.

The Spidey theme seems kind of ripped off.

It's not "ripped" from anywhere, it's similar to the opening theme song for the animated 1994
Spider Man TV series. Likely meant to give a nostalgic shiver to anyone who watched it when they
were kids.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Just watched Spider-Man Homecoming and I was a big fan of their opening soundtrack. [...]

The Spidey theme seems kind of ripped off. [...]

It's not "ripped" from anywhere, it's similar to the opening theme song for the animated 1994 Spider Man TV series. Likely meant to give a nostalgic shiver to anyone who watched it when they were kids.

*cough!* *cough!*

Spider-Man (theme song) - Wikipedia
Spider-Man (1967 TV series) - Wikipedia

Last edited: