1. Join other hivers in a friendly concept-art contest. The contestants have to create a genie coming out of its container. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Themes & OSTs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Jul 13, 2017.

1. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just watched Spider-Man Homecoming and I was a big fan of their opening soundtrack. Feel free to share other original soundtracks from movies, games, series, etc.

2. San

San

Icon Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Dark Souls III Epilogue.

3. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  4. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  5. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Anything Shadow of the Colossus/Ico. Haven't played The Last Guardian yet though.

6. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
  7. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:

a nuuuu cheeeki breeki i v damke!

8. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  9. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    There will be blood ost, nuovo cinema paradiso ost, social network ost. Good films too!
    Edit: Links as requested, I highly advise you to experience all of these soundtracks while watching the film, though, it makes a big difference.

There Will Be Blood, a film by P.T. Anderson (2007): "Prospectors Arrive", OST by Jonny Greenwood (of Radiohead)

Nuovo Cinema Paradiso, an absolute classic by Giuseppe Tornatore (1988), with a beautifully warm soundtrack by Ennio Morricone (of Il Brutto, Il Buono, Il Cattivo)

Social Network, another fairly recent work directed by David Fincher about Facebook (2010), with a very mood defining and interesting soundtrack by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (of Nine Inch Nails)

Edit: I thought of some more.
    The Painted Veil (2006), by John Curran, a decent movie starring Edward Norton (I have a huge lady boner for this guy). The soundtrack was composed by Alexandre Desplat, who composed for The curious case of Benjamin Button, The Danish Girl, Fantastic Mr. Fox and even Harry Potter "The deathly hallows pt 1 & 2".
    The movie was decent, like I said, but I wouldn't go about recommending it like if it wasn't for the moment in the film when this starts to play, which worked very well: "À la claire Fontaine", a traditional French song:

And also, ofcourse the soundtracks of Whiplash and La La Land (2014 and 2016) both films written & directed by Damien Chazelle, who lays a very large focus on music in his films. Both films were scored by Justin Hurwitz;

and

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  10. Cuore

Cuore

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
  11. bear_369

bear_369

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Something 'Heroic' I say.

12. Zombie

Zombie

Resources:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Resources:
  13. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I remember that during the film I found this track amazingly dull/boring, no clear idea why. Maybe it is the composition or the way it was presented in the scenes... idk.

Unlike this track from Moana, which had positive vibe really got me right from the start, and got stuck in my head for the days after (in a good way):

Edit: just saw that my quote was nonsensical and corrected it haha.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  14. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  15. Devine

Devine

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well it's a very good single and it works very well in the story. Adding in those short bits of laughter, in the film? How does that work? Did they record the songs first in the studio and lip sync it afterwards? Did they do the film shoot first and recorded audio later? I don't fucking know. It's pretty meta and it seems very real at the same time.

There might have been more musical songs on the film, but I was thoroughly impressed by the amounts of storytelling this bit of audio brings to the table.
    The song is simple. Why? Because Sebastian isn't trying to impress anyone, he's just having a nice time with his girlfriend. An elitist jazz musician who sings such a cheesy pop song for his girlfriend with the message of "City of Stars, are you shining just for me?" It's a song that really ties them together and establishes them as 2 people who are looking for the same things in life. They connect on a deeper level here, with the sort of lighthearted touch that comes with a newfound romance.

It's good character development and made me care more about these 2 wacky youngsters. I get that some people might find it a bit tedious as it's not really progressing the story, but I didn't find it boring at all. The whole movie is about a weird post-modern nostalgia towards the old musicals and pays homage to a lot of famous pieces. I think this part in the film serves a purpose just like that, to a time when the music industry recorded songs for the sole purpose of selling the sheetmusic, and families gathered around the piano singing these songs. I don't know, it hit me deeper than just "2 people sing a cheesy popsong behind a piano".

16. Lord Aiden

Lord Aiden

Resources:
    Resources:
  17. Naze

Naze

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh, your in-depth explanation just made the song a lot better, haha. I didn't see all the storytelling aspect of it by the time I was watching the movie, perhaps because didn't get emphatic enough towards the characters yet, so I was left with a slow paced, cheesy song. Not that I found the song terrible though, I just thought it sounded bland, or that its melody was a bit too predictable, idk. A shame I couldn't get all that experience you mentioned here, would've made it much better.

18. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  19. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  20. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:

Most awesome adaption of a song I've ever heard. But all of the BI soundtrack is amazing.