• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Theme Tune

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
A little too... "epic" sounding for anything but a cutscene at first, and then it just turns kinda crappy after the first 30 seconds. I think you're thinking a little too much about song form which is, first of all, irrelevant to this type of music and second never really a good thing to think about until you have a set of good melodies that fit together.

I like the one melody you have in the beginning, but you need more than just one :p

Had a little play-around with the olde music software the other day, and came up with this! :) Figured it would make some good Menu music or soemthing :p

Actually, for the right game this could be quite good for menu music - the right game would a bit difficult to find though, as you blend orchestral music with punk and techno, thus this seems more themed for something related to anime or something.

This song could be quite good on it's own to, it doesn't exactly sound like you just intended for it to be background music - add some lyrics at a few parts (or just leave it instrumental) and it could just be a good stand alone song.

The only complaint I really have is that for the more techno parts, the nature of the way strings sort of "fade in" makes them seem as if they are either slightly early or slightly late, which isn't the best when you have a techno drum beat in the background with the beat locked in very strong.

Level 10
Really nice thing! :thumbs_up:
I like this mix of styles, I think it is not too unusual for soundtrack music of any kind. I agree with ~void~ though that the formal structure is worth discussion... this is a question where it should be used in the end, too. As menu music, this form might be quite nice, I think, because it does not need too much attention and can interrupt at many points without sounding too incomplete. As moviescore it probably won't fit the scene (when do we have scenes in a movie that are structured like a rondo?). And when I'm listening to it stand-alone, it has many repetitions and the developing middle part is too short (and again just repeated more or less).
So if you don't want to use this as a kind of menu or e.g. minigame music in a map, I'd suggest to either add vocals with text to it or try to get rid of the ABABAB'A-Form and just make it ABA with B including a bigger development.

Just my thoughts for the moment... looking forward to listen to more from you! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.