• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The road to 1.2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Since so many people are asking me when it's done; here is my current to-do list, which I will hopefully be able to update daily.

- Create group bosses (3/3)
- Create quests (13/13)
- Create creeps (27/27)
- Create new mail armor attachment models (4/4)
- Create new shoulder pad attachment models (4/4)
- Import, adjust and assign attachment models and textures (100%)
- Create new recipes (30/30)
- Create new legendaries [including Patreon reward legendaries] (10/10)
- Assign drop and steal tables (100%)
- Create rarespawn and treasure hunt mechanic (1/1)
- Calculate Shadow map (0/1)
- Update Extension Pack (0/1)
- Final closed beta test (0/1)

Last edited:
Level 3
thats a nice way to thank donors. i assume you validate the stat bonuses to make sure they are balanced before releasing

Level 7
Oh man 10 legendaries! Content going to be even easier than we envisioned!

Are these planned to be drops or grind rewards? I really liked how Firelord was significantly more difficult than the other bosses of D3, along with pretty much requiring a secondary set of items along with a summoning item to even fight him. So it was justified for him to drop legendaries. Im not convinced any of the three new bosses quite live up to that billing, but setting legendaries as certain achievements for certain grind thresholds similar to the bought legendaries in Mytargas is still good.

That being said, I suppose if theres going to be 10, then some probably need to be drops. One for each boss seems fine. They should be rare enough that the one from Yeti probably wouldn't be too much more common than one from seer.

Level 8
I don't think all legendaries need to be super stat-buffed endgame powergear. It would be nice if they just had unique active effects or stats that you don't usually see on other items (like increased critical damage) but otherwise be in line with blue gear of an equal level. In that case a high number of legendaries wouldn't necessarily trivialize content, but still be cool to farm for.

I'd also like to see some items that have some sort of vice but still powerful enough to consider using. Perhaps along the lines of cursed gear, e.g. Murasame 2H, high AP but constant HP degeneration. However, stuff like this would probably be difficult to balance.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I agree with Box. It's important that legendaries live - at least somewhat - up to their name :)

Also I thought of something similar with the cursed items Kamina. I support this idea aswell. A staff that adds a large amount of spellpower but also drains the user's mana while activated for instance.

Level 7
I don't think all legendaries need to be super stat-buffed endgame powergear. It would be nice if they just had unique active effects or stats that you don't usually see on other items (like increased critical damage) but otherwise be in line with blue gear of an equal level. In that case a high number of legendaries wouldn't necessarily trivialize content, but still be cool to farm for.

Actually I suppose if they had special effects that still kept them in line with blues, and they were red only for the sake of having a special effect, then they probably shouldn't be super rare drops then. I guess this defeats the long term aspect of hunting for trophy items, but this is still intended to be transitional world boss type content so Im not sure its the best spot for trophy items to begin with.

I think ultimately the special effects are just really hard to balance. They either end up becoming what makes the item BiS, or it becomes a useless effect that is only in place to make it a special snowflake item. But still. Perhaps there should just be a seperate item color for items that are only different to blues because they do something special, and then have a seperate color for items that strictly intended to be better than blue, and have a special effect. This way we don't have to use the term legendary to talk about items with special effects, and this way it makes everything just -seem- better.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
o.0 Wow that's a lot more than I was expecting
Including the upgrade recipes that is.

@Legendary discussion: most of them have either to be crafted or must be assembled from rare parts. Legendaries will also not be stronger than regular upgraded blues stat-wise, but they will have either a special ability or some passives to spice it up a bit.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Actually common/magical/rare/legendary are rarities. So legs don't have to be better. The fact they are rare is what makes them legendary.

Zwiebs idea of legendaries in Gaias is items that have a special ability. That's why a certain item, which was legendary in old versions, was turned into a blue item to keep the coherence of the item types.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Exception: Yarr did not have a special proc or ability. But it's optics made it too cool to downgrade it to blue. There might be an upgrade in 1.2C which adds an ability to Yarr, though... :p

The current goal with the Legendary design in 1.2C is to recreate what Pheonix was in pre-1.2 content:

An item only a few people actually had, which was cool and nice to have, but not necessarily a big improvement over regular endgame gear. It's mostly about the optics and uniqueness.

Actually, for many classes Phoenix was not considered the best in slot item back then, but more of a cool sidegrade. It was only assassins who considered Phoenix an actual upgrade over endgame blues, since their Attackspeed allowed to proc it more often.

I will aim to hit this sweet spot again, but without the frustrating low percentage one-drop grind. Instead, most legendaries will be recipes, which allows to split the grind up between multiple spots or locations.

For example, a legendary recipe might require three rare drops, of which one might drop on a boss, one might be a low percentage world drop and one might be an item which can only be found in the treasure hunt boxes or from rare spawns.

With this design, getting a legendary will feel like an actual achievement, since you have to put work into it, but without mindlessly grinding the same boss over and over again.

Level 4
I'm wondering.
What will be the purpose of new quests if the max lv is 50?
Mats? Equipment? Souls?

Level 3
still be grinding the same bosses

For example said:
. We will still grind the same bosses until we get that special drop because it would be still rare + where do u store those special red soul parts? Ik would be lesser but we can go back to .13b to farm our red souls from protector.

Ira

Ira

Level 4
. We will still grind the same bosses until we get that special drop because it would be still rare + where do u store those special red soul parts? Ik would be lesser but we can go back to .13b to farm our red souls from protector.

you cant craft souls. the part with the recipes is about legendary(red) items not souls.

Level 3
You can farm red souls from prot if you want to get shitty bonus combination.
. Again it kinda depends , its either u want to waste a tonne of time farming rock hard polished made of diamond with plated enhanced rock armor boss with a good soul drop compared to farming a boss with fish gear and be sliced thru easily but has a chance of a bad soul.

I would take the boss with fish gear in a heartbeat since the drop rate is the same for both bosses

Level 3
100% good stats?

The chance to get a good (as in all 3 stats compliment each other) red soul pre-change was pretty much around 1:100.
The chance to get a good red soul now is basicly 1:1. Choose wisely.

Do u mean that every time i get a red soul i would get good stats or atleast they compliment with each other?

Level 3
so why do we need both a double int and single sp & double sp and single int soul? seems redundant to me as int/sp pretty much dont make a difference with the exception of crusaders. remove one and make way for a double evasion soul for example.

Level 3
its still unnecessary. the amount of sp or int doesnt really differ that much on gear. maybe this has more impact on necros and druids but making an extra soul to accommodate 2 classes just doesnt feel right.

Level 9
Int is must have for psion if you want to go pet build :/ mb druids also, I am not sure. Also I am not so sure about int-sp gear stats distribution for crus. Other sp based classes (cloth + staff) have more sp from gear, so they need sp based soul.
Anyway why ever u ll want to remove ANY soul? And what will you do to ppl who already have it?

Level 3
What about double Movespeed red? 25 MS soul could help with kiting some bosses.

Also, *Create rarespawn and treasure hunt mechanic*
What is this even? Was it mentioned/discussed before or is it TOP SECRET kinda thing?

Level 3
So...Let me farm a double Eva Soul on my Backhand Crusader and Ill show you how OP it is :D

no one cares for the foothills content at the moment and you dont even need a crusader to tank any of the bosses. just take a look at the 3 new bosses. allres is way better than evasion on zharoken and seer atm. thing is, crusader isnt even the best tank for these fights as monk/zerk is better. only boss which crusader could arguably be best for is probably yeti but then again a monk can easily fulfill the role.

Level 5
no one cares for the foothills content at the moment and you dont even need a crusader to tank any of the bosses. just take a look at the 3 new bosses. allres is way better than evasion on zharoken and seer atm. thing is, crusader isnt even the best tank for these fights as monk/zerk is better. only boss which crusader could arguably be best for is probably yeti but then again a monk can easily fulfill the role.

I wasnt talking about tanking...A Crusader with 40-50% evasion can easily outdps hunter or druid or maybe asasin in the long term fight vs a fast attacking boss since you can permanently spam Backhand and deal tons of dmg for free.It can easily out threat monk.Now Imagine it on a zerker...Infinitely spamming backhand.Do you now start to see how strong double EVA is ?

Level 3
Spamming backhand IS tanking. I seriously doubt your claim of out dpsing hunters or assassins and i want to see video proof of that. You are literally assuming you evade every single hit and that every boss attacks as fast as alchemist during chemical rage. I have a double evasion soul myself and 50% evasion with hunter and bishop auras so i know how strong it is. But its definitely nowhere near as op as you claimed it to be.

Level 3
Double Evasion is really good combo with backhand, but far from anything OP. Still, one shouldn't understate both defensive and offensive capabilities it gives you with backhand. What it does provide you with is capability to deal enough damage and protect you from hits enough times for zerker to be able to solo alch and brood with only HG and foothill items and healing merc. Those evaded hits and backhand extra damage dealt really adds over long fight just to barely beat two of those without lvl 50 talent and without any MP help from other players. Basically, zerker can go 1-50 on current content solo due to little extra you get out of those procs. It's probably possible without evasion for more talented people, but I consider it somewhat of a success to have completely solo lvl 50 char.

Double Evasion is probably one of better soul combos overall imo.

Level 3
exactly as froz said. which is why having a red soul with such a stat is important. the 3rd stat can literally be anything else.

Level 3
Imo one feature 1.2c could have is where you pay a large sum to exchange only one of your soul stats for any other desired stat. This of course does not apply to reds.

Level 3
Reds are... quite good atm. Although if you want to change a stat for red it will probably require the max amount of gold or something.

Level 3
Nah, changing stats on red seems like horrible idea in my book. They have fixed stats for reason. I could see randomizing one stat on blue soul to be a thing (some ugly quest + gold sink to make it hard to abuse - stuff like old hammer where you need to do tons of stuff in same play session) and I could see same thing being applied to auras of red souls. But stats on reds? Nah.

Level 3
Its so abusable which is why i suggested only being able to change one stat to any other off/def stat you desire and adding a steep cost to it. Personally id say 80k is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.