1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Lich King has a new champion. The results for the 19th Icon Contest are here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

The road to 1.2C

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Zwiebelchen, May 8, 2016.

1. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Since so many people are asking me when it's done; here is my current to-do list, which I will hopefully be able to update daily.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  2. Ethical

Ethical

Resources:
    Resources:
    what exactly does this mean?

3. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Legendaries designed by Patreon donators.

They will be available to everyone; no restrictive content. But these people are allowed to design these items and/or put a personal message into the tooltips.

4. Ethical

Ethical

Resources:
    Resources:
    thats a nice way to thank donors. i assume you validate the stat bonuses to make sure they are balanced before releasing

5. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Of course.

6. BoxOfFaith

BoxOfFaith

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh man 10 legendaries! Content going to be even easier than we envisioned!

Are these planned to be drops or grind rewards? I really liked how Firelord was significantly more difficult than the other bosses of D3, along with pretty much requiring a secondary set of items along with a summoning item to even fight him. So it was justified for him to drop legendaries. Im not convinced any of the three new bosses quite live up to that billing, but setting legendaries as certain achievements for certain grind thresholds similar to the bought legendaries in Mytargas is still good.

That being said, I suppose if theres going to be 10, then some probably need to be drops. One for each boss seems fine. They should be rare enough that the one from Yeti probably wouldn't be too much more common than one from seer.

7. SaikoDeMoN

SaikoDeMoN

Resources:
    Resources:
    I don't think all legendaries need to be super stat-buffed endgame powergear. It would be nice if they just had unique active effects or stats that you don't usually see on other items (like increased critical damage) but otherwise be in line with blue gear of an equal level. In that case a high number of legendaries wouldn't necessarily trivialize content, but still be cool to farm for.

I'd also like to see some items that have some sort of vice but still powerful enough to consider using. Perhaps along the lines of cursed gear, e.g. Murasame 2H, high AP but constant HP degeneration. However, stuff like this would probably be difficult to balance.

8. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with Box. It's important that legendaries live - at least somewhat - up to their name :)

Also I thought of something similar with the cursed items Kamina. I support this idea aswell. A staff that adds a large amount of spellpower but also drains the user's mana while activated for instance.

9. Ihazdialup

Ihazdialup

Resources:
    Resources:
    o.0 Wow that's a lot more than I was expecting

10. BoxOfFaith

BoxOfFaith

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually I suppose if they had special effects that still kept them in line with blues, and they were red only for the sake of having a special effect, then they probably shouldn't be super rare drops then. I guess this defeats the long term aspect of hunting for trophy items, but this is still intended to be transitional world boss type content so Im not sure its the best spot for trophy items to begin with.

I think ultimately the special effects are just really hard to balance. They either end up becoming what makes the item BiS, or it becomes a useless effect that is only in place to make it a special snowflake item. But still. Perhaps there should just be a seperate item color for items that are only different to blues because they do something special, and then have a seperate color for items that strictly intended to be better than blue, and have a special effect. This way we don't have to use the term legendary to talk about items with special effects, and this way it makes everything just -seem- better.

11. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Including the upgrade recipes that is.

@Legendary discussion: most of them have either to be crafted or must be assembled from rare parts. Legendaries will also not be stronger than regular upgraded blues stat-wise, but they will have either a special ability or some passives to spice it up a bit.

12. DrizztDoUrden

DrizztDoUrden

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually common/magical/rare/legendary are rarities. So legs don't have to be better. The fact they are rare is what makes them legendary.

13. Decent

Decent

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just thought 1.2C comes with new bosses and few items but thats a lot of wow

14. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Zwiebs idea of legendaries in Gaias is items that have a special ability. That's why a certain item, which was legendary in old versions, was turned into a blue item to keep the coherence of the item types.

15. DrizztDoUrden

DrizztDoUrden

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, it comes with new area.

16. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Exception: Yarr did not have a special proc or ability. But it's optics made it too cool to downgrade it to blue. There might be an upgrade in 1.2C which adds an ability to Yarr, though... :p

The current goal with the Legendary design in 1.2C is to recreate what Pheonix was in pre-1.2 content:

An item only a few people actually had, which was cool and nice to have, but not necessarily a big improvement over regular endgame gear. It's mostly about the optics and uniqueness.

Actually, for many classes Phoenix was not considered the best in slot item back then, but more of a cool sidegrade. It was only assassins who considered Phoenix an actual upgrade over endgame blues, since their Attackspeed allowed to proc it more often.

I will aim to hit this sweet spot again, but without the frustrating low percentage one-drop grind. Instead, most legendaries will be recipes, which allows to split the grind up between multiple spots or locations.

For example, a legendary recipe might require three rare drops, of which one might drop on a boss, one might be a low percentage world drop and one might be an item which can only be found in the treasure hunt boxes or from rare spawns.

With this design, getting a legendary will feel like an actual achievement, since you have to put work into it, but without mindlessly grinding the same boss over and over again.

17. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great idea ! Sounds solid.

18. Devlain

Devlain

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm wondering.
    What will be the purpose of new quests if the max lv is 50?
    Mats? Equipment? Souls?

19. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes pretty much and progressing the story! Lvling is for nabs, ├╝ber items are for pros :-D

20. Noe1

Noe1

Resources:
    Resources:
    Actually, not only assasins. Im bard with pho=)