• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The River Connection

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz and sluk
-The River Connection-
A long, long time ago, a kingdom layed in the deep woods of the land that doesn't exist. But a gigantic earthquake separated four districts of the kingdom. Now, years later, they've rediscovered each other.

Fly over the waters to reach your enemies!

Information

Screenshots

Changelog

The River Connection is a 2v2 or FFA map. It's full of doodads because this was first going to be a template, but plans changed. Creep your island fast, you don't want your enemies to take the middle before you arrive.

Buildings on this map are:
- Two Market Places
- Two Green Dragon Roosts
- A Fountain Of Health
- A Fountain Of Mana
- Four Goblin Laboratories
- Four Goblin Merchants
- Two Mercenary Camps
- Four main Gold Mines, each having 12.500 gold
- Four nearby expansions, each having 12.000 gold
- Two Gold Mines, each having 15.000 gold

Creep camps on this map are:
- Four green creep camps
- Fourteen (or was it four-teen? idk :) ) orange creep camps wich are quite hard
- Ten red creep camps
- Four very hard red creep camps

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

-V1.00: Created a template with one island and a gigantic sea with nothing in it.
-V2.00: Created a 1v1 with two islands and a river connecting them.
-V3.00: Created a 2v2 with four islands, plety of stuff in the middle and lots of creeps.

I hope that people like maps like this. I started creating these when Hurrican Isles disappeared in the 4v4 ladder maps. I think it's fun to have some island type maps. I'm currently working on something like Adrenaline with 12 players.

Anyway, have fun playing and hopefully you win :) .

Augustus_Magnus
Contents

The River Connection (Map)

Level 23
I like the overall landscape geometry.
However the tile textures, doodads and cliff-work is very rudimentary; the map as whole screams that it was made in a hurry.
With a melee map, you only have to make your terrain good; thus the margin of what is acceptable is much higher than say a large RPG.
The less content you have, the higher quality it needs to be to be acceptable.
- Moved to too simple.

Level 6
I shall try to make this look better, i guess you don't like the overal doodads on the cliffs. But of corse there is not to much i can change on that, and i do like it so...

With a melee map, you only have to make your terrain good; thus the margin of what is acceptable is much higher than say a large RPG.

I don't think this is thrue, surely I think a lot about my map. I think pathing and having enough creeps/neutral buildings on good spots is more important then terrain.

The less content you have, the higher quality it needs to be to be acceptable.

So you mean if I upload five crap maps a day you're going to approve them? I surely don't agree with that.
If I misunderstand, pls say :D

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
3/5. Seems interesting but it's not melee ready.
-Rune of Rebirth might become an exploit at times since players don't require food for it to recreate the dead unit
-human units as neutral passive are confusing
-some players are nearer to a type of fountain than others

Level 5
I expected too much on this, I though the middle was a connection or way on reaching to other player. Instead you used a Zepplin to reach others, but its a good concept in starting a melee maps.

Let me start with the bases. The bases is too small, you can't build many buildings in one base mostly on Blue's and Purple's starting point and even if you conquer a another gold mine, it is still small especially the two gold mines outside the player's starting point, you can barely build Town Hall on that island.

The Tavern was a problem too, it is too close to the player's starting point, either you will move it away a little bit or remove it. Other shops is not a problem, it is on the proper placed.

The terrain is not that bad, I can see it that you tried your best in making it, however the tiles variation need to be improve but I think the doodads is enough. On the other hand, cliffs need some work too. Like what Kino said, you kinda made it in a hurry, especially the cliffs.

Please, give more work on the symmetry, the Blue's and Purple's base need some work or shall I say balancing, because the Red's and Teal's base is big enough while Blue's and Purple's base is so small, you can only build the starting buidlings. Also, the neutrals is a problem too. Firstly, some camps is in random. For example, a camp with Wolves.. and Murlocs? You should only put one race in per camp, such as Murloc in one camp with no wolves.

Aside from that, it seems everything is good. Oh, it reminds, kindly remove the passive Footman and Knight camp, it hurts my eyes since it does nothing. Anyways, the map is very interesting. I hope you improve it. Moreover, I suggest to take a look on this.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
he Tavern was a problem too, it is too close to the player's starting point, either you will move it away a little bit or remove it. Other shops is not a problem, it is on the proper placed.
That's not really a problem. It's not like it's a Mercenary Camp. The Taverns, however, should be at the same distance from each player.
Also, the neutrals is a problem too. Firstly, some camps is in random. For example, a camp with Wolves.. and Murlocs? You should only put one race in per camp, such as Murloc in one camp with no wolves.
Why? Wolves have some abilities, Murlocs have others. For instance Critical Strike and Poison with Ensnare. I disagree that the neutral creep camps should only contain one type of race. It's totally unoriginal.

Level 6
DEEPSTRAZS' REVIEW
AETHER'S REVIEW
Well, what u said was very usefull, but i agree with deepstrasz about the creeps, Blizzard mixes races all the time. The cliffs will be changed a bit, more of the water could perhaps be used for bigger islands of purple and blue. The tavern... I thought of removing it, but i think having a frozen throne map without a tavern is not right. I agree that theyre placed wrong and will think of another place. Deepstrazs, u said that some ppl are closer to a fountain than others, wich is right and that's why FFA should not be played on this map. In a 2v2 scenario u will have one player on an island and another on a river-connected place (i hope :p). Neutral passive confusing? Perhaps, yes. What do u think about just villagers as neutral passive? How can i work more on symmetry, if i remember correctly, i copied the whole thing (prob memory problems). A last question: this map is substandard, do i re-upload it if i want to get it approved? (It'll take a while, im bussy with two other maps, testing one, creating the other.)

Level 5
That's not really a problem. It's not like it's a Mercenary Camp. The Taverns, however, should be at the same distance from each player.
To be honest, some maps I played by Blizzard, the tavern has a small distance to the base (I forgot which map it was), not really close to the base or gold mine.
Why? Wolves have some abilities, Murlocs have others. For instance Critical Strike and Poison with Ensnare. I disagree that the neutral creep camps should only contain one type of race. It's totally unoriginal.
Well, I only play melee map sometimes, and its kinda hard to notice, but you have good point.
What do u think about just villagers as neutral passive?
It would be nice instead of footmans and Knights.
How can i work more on symmetry, if i remember correctly, i copied the whole thing (prob memory problems).
What do you mean by "copied the whole thing"?
A last question: this map is substandard, do i re-upload it if i want to get it approved? (It'll take a while, im bussy with two other maps, testing one, creating the other.)
No need, you just need to update it, improve it and contact or wait for a map reviewer or map moderator to response.

Level 6
To be honest, some maps I played by Blizzard, the tavern has a small distance to the base (I forgot which map it was), not really close to the base or gold mine.

Well, I only play melee map sometimes, and its kinda hard to notice, but you have good point.

It would be nice instead of footmans and Knights.

What do you mean by "copied the whole thing"?

No need, you just need to update it, improve it and contact or wait for a map reviewer or map moderator to response.
Thank u, the map will be updated, i just dont know when :p.