• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Revolt of Nottingham

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
I would appreciate any constructive criticism regarding the map, along with any recommendations as to what should be added, removed, or edited. Thank you.

Map Description:
Six outlaws of the woods take a stand against the Lords of the City of Nottingham. The outlaws must use stealth and caution until they can raise a strong enough army to challenge the city.
Very loosely based on the story of Robin Hood.

Expanded Description:
Two players are based in the center of the map, in the city of Nottingham. The goal of these two players is to crush the rebellion of the outlaws in the woods. They are provided with trees with infinity hit points and gold mines with an amount of gold unmineable in even a long game duration. They must use their troops to find and destroy the outlaws by any means necessary. At the moment their starting heroes are two heroes from the Warcraft Campaign; this will be changed in upcoming versions.
The other six players start in a random position in the bottom left area of the map. These players start with kits that allow them to create a Shelter (basic town hall) and a Lumber Mill. Using these, they must find a gold mine and create a base. Shelters have a "pack" ability that turns them back into a Shelter Kit, for reuse elsewhere. The outlaw heroes have morph abilities that allow them to become a swordsman, archer, knight, or horse archer at will, each with different attack and armor types. This makes each form good against certain units, and makes the player pay attention to such things. Outlaws must use the four troop production buildings to build up an army of sufficient size to defeat the powerful city of Nottingham.

Credits:
-Ket for his Kodo Tower model.
-Blinkboy for his Sipahi model.
-Mc ! for his Male Elf Ranger model.
-VietHoang for telling Stefan to make this and testing it.
-Hasian, Namananaman, and DarkGuardian for testing it.
-Robin Hood for (hopefully) existing.
-Blizzard for creating Warcraft.

If you see any reference to someone named "Stefan" in the map, please have the mental power to realize that that is me.

All triggering in this map is done via the normal trigger editor triggers (except for very basic memory leak ones); I currently have no knowledge whatsoever of JASS or vJASS.

This map is not protected. Feel free to use it as you wish; just give credits to myself and all of those currently in my credits.

RevoltofNottinghamV2.2.jpg

Version 2.2: 11/30/09
-Replaced "Grass" with "Lumpy Grass"
-Made all water no longer use Blizzard cliffs
-Placed many doodads
-Fixed techtree slightly
-Fixed player bounty
-Added three new secrets (don't worry, they give no bonus to those who find them)

Version 2.1: 11/28/09
-Removed Reveal from Goblin Laboratory
-Gave King Muradin Drunken Haze instead of Attribute Bonus
-Looked through code and removed potential errors (ap0calypse)

Version 2: 11/28/09
-Gave mountain doodads
-Expanded Outlaw tech tree
-Fixed a bug involving removal of all neutral passive buildings
-Set a victory countdown for the Lords
-Added numerous anti-lag actions
-Creeps no longer respawn
-Made trees have 1500 hp instead of 1000
-Capturable mini-city now can be built in
-Hero creep exp set to default (none after level 5)
-Added description of systems in quests panel
-Trees more distanced from one another
-Countdown is seeable

Version 1: 11/11/09.
-Made river have smooth, rolling shores.
-Removed random terrace mountain in southeast
-Varied terrain heights more
-Made trees have 1000 hit points instead of 10000
-Made trees slightly smaller
-Added more buildings for Outlaws

Keywords:
Nottingham, Outlaws, Outlaw, Revolt, Woods, Lords, Lord, Robin Hood, Hood, Robin, Merry Men, City, Castle.
Contents

The Revolt of Nottingham (Map)

Reviews
00:37, 29th Nov 2009 ap0calypse: Rejected
Level 4
I'm from America. Names here get very mixed; it is easily possible to find an Asian named Pablo.
It would be very helpful if you specified at least one thing that needed to be changed or fixed, so I could change or fix it.

EDIT: Okay people, this map now has 60 downloads and only one non-me comment. If you would so kindly report your opinions, findings, and suggestions, it would be extremely helpful for my development of this map.

Last edited:
Level 12
Make trees little smaller, players cant see units so good...,make some custom spells for heroes, dont place neutral hostile units so close to players on start (1 neutral unit was in my town and attack my ally units) with outlaws is same case hostile units are to close...,make hot keys for buildings...Continue with work on map,for now 2.5/5 :thumbs_up:

Level 10
First of all, before I test, there are a few things to underline. You should add hidden tags around changelog text, and instead of only "7 November 2009" you should add a version number.
You said twice that the map is in Betaver.
Crediting Robin Hood for existing (?)
Try not to mention the Orc Demolisher in the description, but somewhere else, just for aesthetics and accesibility.
Crediting VietHoang for telling you to make it (>.< That seems abstract and it's value void, just like the Robin Hood thing mentioned above).
"If you see any reference to someone named "Stefan" in the map, please have the mental power to realize that that is me." (Unnesesary)
Actually, in the description you have a lot of things that could fit into a different category, for example "Features", or "To be fixed"
Why do trees have infinite hit points and an unending gold mine is there for the Nottingham folks?
Maybe add a screenshot.
The aerial image tells me that you use Blizz cliffs a lot. That isn't good.
Also, the terrain (from the aerial image) looks really plain, a couple of lakes, little, if any, texture variation, a height difference with the (probably) flat terrain and a sudden mountain (WOAH WEHR DID IT KOM FROM??) that ends as suddenly as it appears.
My reccomendation is: Kid, get copy-n-pasting terraining tutorials and read 'em.
Oh, and is it just me or are the map edges dirt?

All in all, Stefan, this is my score:
General description: Unlikely to attract people, 22/50
Credits: Solid, 45/50
Map protection: Thanks for telling us, 50/50
Common sense: Preety poor, 9/50
Terrain(Ground): Avarege, 18/50 (Inaccurate!)
Terrain(Water): Above avarege, 37/50 (Highly Innacurate!)
Balancing: Above avarege, 38/50
Texture: Epic fail, 2/50

Result: 221/600, Not really pleasing, expecially with a non-ingame look

Score: 2/5, Improve it.
I go for: Rejected untill approved

Level 4
Darkgamma, I actually did the texture on the woodland terrain with copy and pasting... Its leaves, vines, and grass all mixed up together. It doesn't show up on the map because they are all "green" textures. I only used Blizz cliffs on the river, the city walls, and the mountains. I made sure to raise and lower many areas of the woodland.
The credits for telling me to make the map are pretty important; I wouldn't have made it otherwise. I decided right before posting the map to ring the map with a dirt cliff for now; to me this seemed better than having a random gaping hole of blackness on the edges. Trees do not quite have an infinite amount of hitpoints, but I will lower them. Gold mines ceased to be infinite after my first update.
What is this "common sense" rating?
I will post screenshot(s) soon.

Sorry Freeze, but player placement, creep placement, and gold mine placement are utterly random. I'll try to fix hotkey problems and try to keep spawning creeps away from buildings and such.

By the way Darkgamma, nice fractal avatar.

Level 10
Darkgamma, I actually did the texture on the woodland terrain with copy and pasting... Its leaves, vines, and grass all mixed up together. It doesn't show up on the map because they are all "green" textures. I only used Blizz cliffs on the river, the city walls, and the mountains. I made sure to raise and lower many areas of the woodland.
The credits for telling me to make the map are pretty important; I wouldn't have made it otherwise. I decided right before posting the map to ring the map with a dirt cliff for now; to me this seemed better than having a random gaping hole of blackness on the edges. Trees do not quite have an infinite amount of hitpoints, but I will lower them. Gold mines ceased to be infinite after my first update.
What is this "common sense" rating?
I will post screenshot(s) soon.

Sorry Freeze, but player placement, creep placement, and gold mine placement are utterly random. I'll try to fix hotkey problems and try to keep spawning creeps away from buildings and such.

By the way Darkgamma, nice fractal avatar.

Thanx for the avi comment :D

By common sense I mean: Trees can't get bashed by catapults seems rabid and "fail". The texturing, I gave it Epic Fail for giving it an earth band. You could have used a Lumpy Grass texture, it works better. Also, I said (Inaccurate!), (Highly Inaccurate!).

Level 4
I made the trees have 1000 health now instead of the previous 10000 and also made the river have rolling shores.
I got rid of that random square spiral mountain thing.
I am also still looking for some sort of boundary on the edges that is not a random black hole.
What do you mean by I should have used a Lumpy Grass texture on the edges? The dirt edges are cliffs.