• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The most annoying bs I always hear. Or not?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
At leats once a week, I play wc3 online (Garena) and anytime I join a server, a bunch of kids are like "hey, dude, go alt-tab to download faster".

Ofc, when I hear this, I just want to slap that/those kid(s) for making such an idiot affirmation and arguing with me over it.

However, one day I decided to test if it's actually true, but the results were exectly the way I expected: pressing Alt + Tab while you're downloading a map just doesn't allow you to download with a higher speed.

I may be wrong, so I ask YOU: what do you think about this? Is it true that if you press Alt + Tab while downloading, the download speed will be greatly increased? And if yes, how? What's the logic behind this?

Level 13
No. Absolutly no. Switching wc3 to the background cannot increase your download in any way.

But I think those kids are talking about another thing.

I don't think they mean press alt+tab so wc3 downloads faster but pressing alt+tab to download it in a browser.

Because that would be faster as the bnets download is really slow..

Level 9
No. Absolutly no. Switching wc3 to the background cannot increase your download in any way.

But I think those kids are talking about another thing.

I don't think they mean press alt+tab so wc3 downloads faster but pressing alt+tab to download it in a browser.

Because that would be faster as the bnets download is really slow..

No, no! People think that if you press Alt + Tab u will download faster the map. I am absolutely sure they think this. Come with me on garena to see it's exactly like I say.

I know...it makes absolutely no sense.

Level 9
Somewhere along the line when hosts were telling people to alt tab and download the map off a site to go faster slowly became just alt+tab to download faster, it happens.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It will improve your download performance if your processor is so slow that even in the main menu you are hitting 100% usage and so the download rate is being restricted due to lack or processor time. However you would be looking at computers unable to run WC3 for this to happen and all modern OS have threads set that it would not mater.

Its just like the retarded nonsense of slow DL means you will lag. People just are plane ignorant.

Level 19
I don't know if this for the ALT+TAB is true, but it seems (only to me) it works, because I've made few tests and it turns out that I actually do download faster than when im in the Warcraft 3 window, but that doesn't mean I'm absolutely right.

Anyway, most stupid things I've heard in chat-lobby are when people's (mostly the kids) start to lie about themselfs..
You know, um, pretending being drunk/high .. or the stupid sex jokes and of course the mommy jokers.

Level 34
Internet speed is hardly influenced by the speed of the computer.

You alt+tab and therefore do not know how fast you download. A result of that is that you lose the track of time and when you alt+tab back, you believed you downloaded faster.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Actually come to think of it, they may not be so wrong...

If you are playing WC3 with music enabled, it might be constantly streaming the music from your hard disk. If you are downloading a map it will need to write data to the hard disk at a different place. Alternating between these 2 might cause hard disks to slow down and so write speed will drop, as such you will get a slower DL rate as I do believe that it does not buffer much.

Alt tabing will turn the music streaming off, as such you will only have to write and as such DL will be optimum.

However, you would be looking at many megabytes per second for this to be an issue (not the case) and you can also turn music off via ctrl + m.

This I still believe it is a total lie.

Maps however probably will load faster when alt tabbed due to the processor being the limiting factor. When alt tabbed there is less processing time going to rendering the load screen and as such I have noticed increases of like 1-5% when alt tabbing based on bot host load time indicators.

However if you are alt tabbed while the game starts there is a high chance you will not even start to load at all, and alt tabbing while lowing will slow you down so not recommended.

Level 19
Internet speed is hardly influenced by the speed of the computer.

You alt+tab and therefore do not know how fast you download. A result of that is that you lose the track of time and when you alt+tab back, you believed you downloaded faster.

Well, I tested with both things on a same maps, and it downloaded faster in alt+tab.

Maps however probably will load faster when alt tabbed due to the processor being the limiting factor. When alt tabbed there is less processing time going to rendering the load screen and as such I have noticed increases of like 1-5% when alt tabbing based on bot host load time indicators.

However if you are alt tabbed while the game starts there is a high chance you will not even start to load at all, and alt tabbing while lowing will slow you down so not recommended.

So how about explaining the second part?
I never had this problem, not even in HoN or LoL, neither do in Warcraft. I'm mostly 95% alt+tab before the game starts, so when my mouse goes in the top-left-corner I notice that the game is started so I go back in the Warcraft 3 window and wait to load.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sometimes it hangs on the close animation of the loby to the load screen. Maximizing finishes the animation and so the game starts loading. Does not always happen but I have had this happen a few times that despite my brother with a slower PC having finished loading, it has not even started loading yet due to this hanging bug.

Level 9
Depends on the computer, people say that they have massive lag whenever they alt tab, but I've never had that experience happen to me, it likely depends on the amount of things running in the background and how much is on your desk top when you do alt tab.

I personally hate window mode, because I like to scroll around the map with my mouse, and it goes off the screen. Besides, I have 2 monitors anyway, so I can see what's going on with MSN and shit.

I don't see how it would speed it up either. In full screen mode, all the system has to worry about rendering is the game, but in window mode it has to render your desktop etc too.

Status
Not open for further replies.