1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[Role Playing Game] The Fountain of Youth (WIP)

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by FeelsGoodMan, Jul 23, 2019.

1. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Hello Hive

This is a map I have been working on for the past 6-7 months. While still far from completion, it is finally starting to reach a stage where I have something to showcase.

My main inspiration comes from Fable and KotoR, but also gets inspiration from many other games, movies and maps.

The story and other major details regarding the world you play in will remain undisclosed until release.

It is a single player offline RPG map where your choices impacts both the story, your own appearance and your abilities. Your choices grants you "Alignment points". Minus alignment means you are evil, positive means you are good. The more evil or good you get your appearance will change and the stronger your abilities gets.

Throughout the map you will find so called "Mystical Doors" spread around. They are initially dormant, but can be woken up in a secret way. They present you with some kind of challenge, and if completed, will open their chamber to you. Their chamber can contain traps, secrets and loot. A big thanks goes to @HerrDave for making the amazing model for the doors. This map wouldn't be the same without the work of @HerrDave.

Another big thanks goes to @Jaccouille for modifying the Sylvanas Windrunner model to have burning holy fiery eyes.

Lastly to @MadMax for making an icon for the Sylvanas with fiery eyes.

Another big thanks goes to @deepstrasz for a lot of invaluable information, ideas, quest testing and more. A keen set of eyes like his are invaluable for any map maker seeking to improve their map.

Thanks to @Mythic for altering his bow enchantment model so it fits the Banshee queen model.

Huge thanks to @ThisPOT for making the fire brute charge spell! I had a poor system in place prior to his help and this bossfight would not be the same without @ThisPOT.

• Good/evil aligment system.
      • Choices impacts the story and hero build.
      • Well thought out spells that synergizes.
      • Lots of cinematics for those who likes complex backstories for even the smallest side quests (skippable for the boring people who just wants to pew pew).
      • A full fledged murder case where you have to investigate, interrogate and find culprits.
      • A lot of puzzles, traps, secrets, varied boss fights, interesting dialogue.
      • 5 super bosses and lots of minibosses.
      • Good looking terrain.
      • Varied terrain types. You have a full fledged forest, 2 caves, 2 cities, 1 village, countryside and a volcano with a moving magma stream.
      • Upgradeable rune tablet that grants different auras.
      • Pouch system for expanded inventory.
      • Almost every single encounter is scripted.
      • 6 different travel/world music playlists and 7 boss fight music playlists.
      • Dynamically changing night/day cycles with filters and enabled/disabled rays of moon/sun light.
      • Bow upgrade system with 5 bow upgrade levels and visual enchantment.

• Quest item multiboard tracker.
      • Custom items (will be made after all quests are done).
      • At least 4 different endings, depending on your choices.

• Terrain 95% complete.
      • Hero good/evil system 100% complete.
      • Spells 90% complete (I am planning on changing out two spells).
      • Main quest 65% complete.
      • Side quests 30% complete.
      • Other systems 85% complete.

Screenshots:

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

NEW SCREENSHOTS:
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

• [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Gameplay videos:

If you would like to be a part of this project just throw me a PM.

Release will be anything from 2 - 4 months.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 8:17 AM
  2. RedneckWizard

RedneckWizard

Resources:
    Resources:
    This looks really cool. I like a lot of the environment design/layouts you've showcased. It's always nice to see a new upcoming project that someone has clearly put love, time and care into. I'd be down to give it a whirl when you release it. :) Good luck to completion!

3. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

4. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I really like the feel and look of it. The only thing I would improve upon would be the small village terrain. It looks not so good in comparison to the other screenshots, especially beacause it uses Lordaeron Summer tiles (I know the hate is overrated but they still do not look that good). The trees do not fit that much as well. Other than that, I'm looking forward to it. Been looking for a small, decent RPG :)

5. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm glad you like it. At this point I don't think I'm able to change the tile set but I do see your point.

6. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Bow upgrade system has been fully developed and implemented with the help of @Mythic who altered his bow enchantment to fit the banshee queen model.

7. ThisPOT

ThisPOT

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    After getting a sneak peak while making the brute charges, I must say that this map looks very fun and promising, and the cinematics really help immerse you into the well designed world. The only problem I noticed (but it isn't a big deal), is that there are a few typos ^^... But that's something that can be dealt with at the very end while polishing.

PS: You should also ask for someone to update the UI (will take some designing skills) so that the side borders aren't the standard human borders (all UI's have that problem now with new resolution).

8. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks, you have been a great help this far. Please do let me know of the typos so I can fix them. It might just be my English as well, seeing as it isn't my native language.

Also about the UI thing yeah I know, sadly I think it will be hard to find a graphic designer to make it compatible with the widescreen resolution. I see some UI's has been made to fit the new res, but they don't really fit the theme well. Maybe I can look around on Fiverr or something if I get permission to alter the UI from the designer who made it.

9. ThisPOT

ThisPOT

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Yes, I highly suggest that, a lot of people can help with a quick fix I'm sure (if you have the right).

---

Once the game is closer to finish I'll do a full run through and let you know of all that I find!

10. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Map just reached 1000+ triggers :eek:

Development is slow but steady.

A lot of bugs has been fixed, including some really pesky ones that I have been debugging for days to find.

Major parts of one of the main quest lines has been finished, and some boss fights has been finalized.

Still need help with this: [Model Request] Bad Chicken

11. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm really liking to the look of this one. It looks like you got some inspiration from Fable which brings back some nostalgia for me. I'm a big fan of RPGs so I'm keeping an eye on this one for sure.

12. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The forest has gotten a huge overhaul. I think it looked kinda boring and not as good as the terrain in other parts of the map, so I spent most of yesterday and today on improving it. The doodad limit is still my worst enemy :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The tileset in the Village/countriside has been reworked. As pointed out by @PROXY the Lordareon summer tileset doesn't look as good, so with some tips from @Strydhaizer I found out how to extract tiles from the CASC files, and imported them into my map instead of the default lordareon summer tiles.

I also added three variations of pine trees to make the flora more diverse.

Screenshots in main post and below:

(The tile placements still needs some work as the old ones has just been overwritten).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next step will be to replace the standard bushes and flowers with animated versions from the Stone and Sword pack!

14. PROXY

PROXY

3D Modeling Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    YES! So much better cant wait to see more progress.

15. Veritas 117

Veritas 117

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded to the new patches. I have used JNGP and UMSWE (or whatever it's called) to have unlimited doodads, and custom pathability for tiles. Along with a few custom trigger functions. I will try to get it figured out eventually, but my maps have well over 30k doodads with a lot I still want to add!

Good luck and hopefully the limit will just be removed in the future. This project is looking better and better all the time!

16. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks a lot! Yeah I hope the limit will be removed too... Now I am deleting redundant doodads wherever I can to make room for as many environmental doodads as possible. A limit of 30k when the officially supported max size is 480x480 is beyond my ability to comprehend to be honest. But oh well, I try to make do with what I have.

17. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The evil alignment spell Styx is complete. See a showcase of the evil abilities (and some neutral ones) below:

(The ultimate spell will be replaced. While absolutely awesome visually, it still messes up some things to have the hero invulnerable, elevated and paused)

Ignore the rain and bird ambient sounds, I forgot to turn them off before the video. Also ignore the lag, it's caused by terrain deformation from shockwaves and warstomps and will be fixed.

18. maddeem

maddeem

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Looks sick! Love the idea of collecting souls to heal yourself

19. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Glad you like it :)

20. FeelsGoodMan

FeelsGoodMan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Custom minimap is finally done. I am quite happy with the result.

It is made with Inkarnate.com, by printing out a paper version of the in game minimap, then tracing it through the computer screen. Everything is in their right places with just SLIGHT inconsistencies but that's invisible due to the size of the map.

Full size map:
    [​IMG]

In game fully revealed:
    [​IMG]