• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The High Road - AoS

-
The High Road - AoS
-

HighRoadCover_zps169f47ff.jpg

Video
Story

For centuries the people of Lordaeron and Elvenwood respected a treaty
concerning the mountain pass and trade route between the kingdoms. In a village
along the High Road, a courthouse settled disputes between the people, Elves and
Humans alike. Until recently the magistrates were able to keep the peace. No one
knows for sure how it started but a recent skirmish has erupted into all out war!​

Gameplay

The High Road combines gameplay styles from AoS, Standard Melee Wc3, WoW and
RPGs. The main halls of each faction produce 3 fighters every 30 seconds that march
directly for the enemy base, just like classic Dota. However, each player also controls
worker units who can build several standard structures. Once the building is complete,
it will produce its corresponding warrior periodically. For example, the barracks produces
Footmen and the Ancient of War produces Archers. The game is won when one player
destroys the enemy main hall.

Each hero also possesses a "hero bonus" ability, which boosts attributes and speed
temporarily and brings the camera down to a third-person view. This effect can be
reversed by activating it again, the camera returns to normal and the hero's bonus is
removed. This is not an over-drive as it can make gameplay more difficult. It should
be used as a clutch to escape deadly situations, rush back to defend your army or
chase down a fleeing hero.

The High Road - AoS gameplay is fast and addictive, it offers something for everyone!​
Game System Screenshots
Click on the Tabs to view additional screenshots:

HERO SELECTION SCREENS:
[tr][TD]

The Heroes of Lordaeron

The Heroes of Elvenwood

THR-ChooseHeroHuman_zpsd81aa820.jpg
THR-ChooseHeroWoodElf_zpsb5dc57dc.jpg

CUSTOM SHOPS:
[tr][TD]

Elf Trading Post

The Ironsmith

Magistrate's Office

Garrison Camp

Pub

Magician's Boutique

THR-ShopElvenTrader_zpse26d053a.jpg
THR-ShopIronsmith2_zpscc6d38a1.jpg
THR-ShopMagistratesOffice_zpsbc5bd361.jpg
THR-ShopGarrisonCamp_zps6afc6891.jpg
THR-ShopPub_zpsda40163c.jpg
THR-MagiciansBoutique_zps556454c2.jpg

WEAPON ATTACHMENT SYSTEM:
Only works with "hands free" Heroes.
[tr][TD]

Hands Free

Axe

Sword & Shield

Shadowsong Glaive

THR-Itemhandsfree_zpscecac1cc.jpg
THR-ItemAx_zps7abb941a.jpg
THR-ItemSwordShield_zpscd165727.jpg
THR-ItemShadowsongGlaive_zpsb78f414a.jpg

Exclusive Resources

Available Only in The High Road - AoS:
Never Before Released!
[tr][TD]

New Icons

New Models

New Skins

Original WoodElf UI

Unexpected tab 5

THRIcons_zps02ec14d9.png~original
By Legal_Ease
THRModels_zps76c619af.jpg

By Legal_Ease
THR-Skins_zps973cf4e4.jpg

By Legal_Ease
226052-albums6701-picture73263.png

By Legal_Ease
By Legal_Ease[/tab]

[TD]
Credits

Icons

Skins

Buffs, Weapons & Missiles

Unit Models

Spells and other credits

Barbarian Skills 1.1
by Marcelo Hossomi

Axe throw v3.0
by Bluebay

Raging Slam v1.10
by f0rsAk3n

*Addition credit goes to the following members:

Daffa_the_Mage: For development oversight, testing

abgm: For testing and reviews

Deathismyfriend: For being a trigger-master and answering life's most persistent questions

Maker: Again for advice in the trigger & scripts forum and helping me fix triggers

Hell_Master: for without his bbcode help this description would be much less cool.

Version 1.1

1) Added workshop to human structures - now creates Gyros (I didn't like the
mechanical units because I thought they didn't fit the map theme but now I
know they are needed for balance and to keep true to the Melee aspect of
this map)

2) Fixed Valkyrie tooltip.

3) Fixed dropped player issue - added trigger to allow hero selection even
if a player leaves the game prior to selecting a hero

4) Removed Dragonhawk from aviary (it was never supposed to be there)

Version 1.2: OPTIMIZED

5) Added custom command buttons and added new icons to hero info.

6) New item Wine from the Pub adds replenish, also scroll of healing now has no start delay.

7) Rune of healing spawns every 100 at base.

8) Added color to player names in chat and attributes names in hero info.

Version 2.0: OPTIMIZED

1) Added custom Wood Elf UI

2) Took away "heal for Hell_Master" massing, only 1 rune at a time now.

3) Added Sorceress training.

4) Fixed faerie fire tooltip.

Keywords:
Melee, Hybrid, AoS, Dota, Wood Elf, Wood Elves, Elves, Lordaeron, Knock Back, Custom, Skins, Icons, Hero Selection, 3rd Person, Weapon Attachment, LoL
Contents

The High Road - AoS (Map)

Reviews
17:16, 26th Jul 2013 Orcnet: map approved
Level 6
Hello Sonofjay/Legal_Ease,

Ooookay, so I'm gonna be honest with you, this map should not be released yet.

There are a number of problems right off the bat.

1) If someone disconnects before they select a hero, the game doesn't ever start... but you can at least run around in the selection area with your hero and kill other allied heroes. And honestly, that's as good as the hero-play part gets because...
2) Troops own heroes. Okay, let me be clear. This is not an AoS/MOBA style game. In AoS/MOBA style games, each player controls heroes generally, and those heroes are what are supposed to dominate. You can make a MOBA game with troop factors, or even whatever crazy twists, but this falls short. This game is basically a manspam competition for whoever can get the most Barracks because...
3) Upgrades do not work. Period. They are probably being applied to my units, and the creeps are spawning for my computer ally. Additionally, there are units in the game that require upgrades/buildings that do not exist in the game. Also when you start the game you should be aware that...
4) There is no "fountain" from which you can heal your hero if he gets injured. The only workaround is to mass Moon Wells, which you need to do anyway because...
5) Income can be massively spammed after the first 3 minutes of gameplay. I literally had enough income to Shift build barracks constantly. It was unfortunate that I couldn't because...
6) The terrain is way too small and limited. The whole top/bottom of the map is irrelevant as you never have any units to creep with (and your hero sucks, so don't even bother trying the red creeps). The only part that is played is the single mid lane. Also you can...
7) Build towers? Apparently that's a new feature. I thought it'd be funny to spam towers and stall the game, except I can't because...
8) Towers die to level 1 creeps. Literally, my hero + 5 towers lost to my enemy's built up level 1 creep wave (Footmen with defend). But don't worry because...
9) The game has no end. I probably could have brought a wisp into the wilderness and hid it, and started a new main base. I never got to find out if this would work though, because...
10) I got a critical error 20 mins into the game. I don't know what caused it. I was just clicking on the selection heroes, and BAM. Game over.

These go over the main points that need to be fixed/addressed in some way. Also you should re-label the map as an altered melee, not an AoS.

Honestly, the best part of this map at the moment is the description on the Hive, and the custom models.

I'm sorry to say that it needs huge revamps for me to ever try this map again. I am not going to review this map, as I think it has never been beta tested, and can't really be called a public release.

-Mech

Level 10
Gonna try this one and try to give a Feedback ;o
Edit :
The High Road
Goods :
  • Weapon Attachments,yeah it's really good for heroes.
  • Epic icons for heroes.
  • Many shops to buy potions and items.
Bads :
  • Very far well,you need to travel just to get heal
  • I think Mech_Warrior is right,this one should be Altered Melee than AoS

Suggestions
1.Maybe add wells near the bases,so they don't need to travel far.
2.Add more items so it would be many items for heroes.
3.Add items that needs recipes.
Overall : 4/5

Voting For Approval

+Rep

Keep up the Good Work !

Can't find many bads in this map.

Last edited:
About the Genre, it's a mix, Legal, if I was right you can CTRL + [Insert Word Here, I forget] to add categories.

Altered Melee doesn't seems to fit at all, AOS fits more than Altered Melee for me to be honest.

Mech, what are you doing and in what camera mode when the crash occurred, during my test, there's only desync issue happened, no such strange crash or whatever happened beside that.

Level 28
Fountain is overrated
Genre is complicated
Not all map need to be beta tested
There are a lot of bugs that need to be fixed

You're creative, I give you that
But do they mesh, that's a question mark
You squished a lot of things for a 2 player map

Anyway... you're giving me a lot of credits for making simple melee map. Will test it when I fix my War3.

Hello Sonofjay/Legal_Ease,

O
oookay, so I'm gonna be honest with you, this map should not be released yet.

There are a number of problems right off the bat.

1) If someone disconnects before they select a hero, the game doesn't ever start... but you can at least run around in the selection area with your hero and kill other allied heroes. And honestly, that's as good as the hero-play part gets because...
2) Troops own heroes. Okay, let me be clear. This is not an AoS/MOBA style game. In AoS/MOBA style games, each player controls heroes generally, and those heroes are what are supposed to dominate. You can make a MOBA game with troop factors, or even whatever crazy twists, but this falls short. This game is basically a manspam competition for whoever can get the most Barracks because...
3) Upgrades do not work. Period. They are probably being applied to my units, and the creeps are spawning for my computer ally. Additionally, there are units in the game that require upgrades/buildings that do not exist in the game. Also when you start the game you should be aware that...
4) There is no "fountain" from which you can heal your hero if he gets injured. The only workaround is to mass Moon Wells, which you need to do anyway because...
5) Income can be massively spammed after the first 3 minutes of gameplay. I literally had enough income to Shift build barracks constantly. It was unfortunate that I couldn't because...
6) The terrain is way too small and limited. The whole top/bottom of the map is irrelevant as you never have any units to creep with (and your hero sucks, so don't even bother trying the red creeps). The only part that is played is the single mid lane. Also you can...
7) Build towers? Apparently that's a new feature. I thought it'd be funny to spam towers and stall the game, except I can't because...
8) Towers die to level 1 creeps. Literally, my hero + 5 towers lost to my enemy's built up level 1 creep wave (Footmen with defend). But don't worry because...
9) The game has no end. I probably could have brought a wisp into the wilderness and hid it, and started a new main base. I never got to find out if this would work though, because...
10) I got a critical error 20 mins into the game. I don't know what caused it. I was just clicking on the selection heroes, and BAM. Game over.

These go over the main points that need to be fixed/addressed in some way. Also you should re-label the map as an altered melee, not an AoS.

Honestly, the best part of this map at the moment is the description on the Hive, and the custom models.

I'm sorry to say that it needs huge revamps for me to ever try this map again. I am not going to review this map, as I think it has never been beta tested, and can't really be called a public release.

-Mech

Thanks for the thorough review. First let me explain SoJ just made map the melee terrain and not recently, I changed it a bit and made the systems. (click on his name - its a link to the map original) So for all of the mess-ups I am guilty - not SoJ. I am glad you check out the map so much but I think on a few points you got carried away, let's see:

1) ok true (thank you again)
2) Troops don't own heroes... They pwn heroes. Ownership is different. Anyway, that's the point, its a hybrid. Bringing Melee back into AoS.
3) Upgrades do work. I have tested this. You see them... You think oh... I'm a smart tester. You know that the barracks is "owned" by player 1 and the units are "owned" by player 4... And you conclude those units won't get my upgrades. WRONG. The units are actually owned by player 1 and then changed in a split second to player 4 = check the GUI. This way when a unit is born he will get the upgrade and he keeps it during the player "owner" split second switch. So Yes, already created units do not get upgrades, but they will get pwnd and die soon anyway, all new units will get the upgrade.
4) If you need a fountain to heal - make your own map. Standard Melee needs no fountain and that's just not how the game is played. Wood Elves can make their own but humans must rely on potions, like standard Melee.
5) Income, was an issue for me. I thought gee what should I do with all of this cash... I don't need to buy units anymore, now what? So I made expensive items. Note that spamming barracks will only increase revive time of footman and you are limited to 4 footmen at any given time. So Spam away... Buying items and building nerf'd towers will be your best bet for that disposable income.
6) Terrain was not meant for AoS. But you level up fast so those creeps are easy to kill at level 7 and up, which takes like 4 minutes.
7) Haha, ya towers are nerf'd, otherwise it would be a mass towers game. they still are useful to defend while you go run off and creep to buy an expensive dragon or Orb.
8) Id the same as 7.
9) Game ends when a base is destroyed, I've played it to that point quiet a few times. So... I'm not sure what you mean.
10) You played in the hero selection area for 20 Minutes? Wow, you must have really liked it. Sucks about the error, cut short your hero selection fun. I will fix that drop bug. Honestly I didn't think anyone would leave before selecting a hero but it could happen so I should account for it.

The map was Beta tested in Map Development for almost a month. It stopped betting attention after I made all of the suggested fixes, so I brought it here to get reviews and more testing. I can't find any bugs in it and its 90% finished so it meets the standard set in the rules. I do appreciate your suggestions and time you spent (in hero selection area and elsewhere in the map) testing it. I think you missed the point a bit but your advice is good on some points too and I'm grateful for any and all testing and review. Its wise not to sound like a smarty pants (I am guilty of it too) because when your plain wrong (like on the upgrades) you look not as smart. Anyway, thanks again. Please come back and check it again after I make some changes. +rep for testing and substantive review!
@SonofJay
- I really like the terrain, that's why you get all the credit for it and well its not mine - its yours. I think its great. Not your best, because your others are way better, but this one worked best for AoS, in my opinion. I think you made the best map on the Hive that fit what I was looking for. That's why I picked it. You call it simple but I think its really good work - much better than I could do. If I didn't give credit in the clearest way I would be happy to fix it. My apologies for any confusion.

Last edited:
Level 2
Hey, I'm the one that tested this with mech. I'll let him reply to his own and get into a few things he missed (mainly because I was the one testing humans).

1. Some of the human upgrades requires a workshop, a building you do not get access to. You also can't build cannon towers due to this.
2. Your gryphon aviary has an option to default build gryphons at the cost of a building you do not own. This one is more of a look issue, and it'd look better if that was removed.
3. I do have a comment on upgrades even though I didn't post it. When I was watching the units I was looking at the numbers representing the number of upgrades next to to the attack. If it does work then that number wasn't upgrading which is a minor change I'd suggest.
4. The hero I had (I forgot her name...I think I had valkyrie but I could be wrong) had the skill resurrect and in the tooltip it had raises 6 units for all 3 levels, which implies that it did not get upgraded when I leveled it up. If it was upgrading something else then that should be in the tooltip instead.
5. This is something I havn't tested, but I noticed each team has two player slots for a potential 2v2, but each team only has one gold mine. I didn't see the troops giving any bounty, and without a gold mine for player 3-6...how do they get income? I could be entirely wrong on this theory since I didn't test it however.
6. Another thing I didn't test is call to arms. What would happen if I massed workers and then mass called to arms them? would it make a mass of computer controlled militia, or would it be the default militia. More of a curiosity than anything, since it'd be weird to mass computer controlled militia at your enemy.

Well anyways, I do think the game needs a fair amount of work. We never got around to testing that much since mech was testing hero without the backup of troops, while I tested unit spam with no hero. It might balance it out if you do both, but if someone doesn't get troops then manspam does seem to destroy heroes. It's hard for me to classify this as an aos looking at many of the angles, but then I havn't played a real game of it either.

Despite my opinions though, you should keep working at it. I could just be biased due to the 1 lane, and the fact items are too widespread and there's no recipes/no direction on what you should be buying. I wish ya both luck on the project.

Level 29
1/5 and voting for rejection.......... XD
joke joke, already played the map many times before submiting (wow i figure in credits, thanks mate, is an honor)

well as i somehow played the map before the submition,and wow i figure in credits, a review of mine can be subjetive and partial. but my comments are:

game play: very original, is the type of game you want to play many times to taste the diferents heroes. Also nice to play with friends :), also AI can be attended for play alone.

terrain: Sonofjay terrain, it will be a sin from my part to judge his terraining skills (joke, i mean the terrain and enviroment wont be something to be judge as the map is approved with 4.88 with 8 votes, really HQ)

Imported material: skins, icons attachments very well selected.

triggering work: triggers are not my camp of knowledge, but it has a lot of work as far i can see.

Overall: i want to see this approve

All of the females (except the one with leather) are half-naked. What.

well the Gods or the Nature has made female body with the meaning of incentivate the males to reproduce and continue with the existance of the specie (that can be aplied to all living creatures, even a bacteria can feel atraction to another by quimical sustances. Well in this case, the atraction is not by sustances, is by the sense of sight, and well, now the human kind has developed the reason to judge and now we can surpass our instincts with thoughts, now we have culture and art, but still many artist need to splash their work making some sort of honor or contemplation to the female body such an atractive icon, but that can be a double sharp sword were women can feel their bodies degradated to mere objets, but also exist the culture of the man body, the captain of the football team, the actors, the men with the chest naked that for them is allowed by laws and culture aceptance...
... sorry what was the question?
a yes... well all resources are approved... and the defence conclude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I'm the one that tested this with mech. I'll let him reply to his own and get into a few things he missed (mainly because I was the one testing humans).

1. Some of the human upgrades requires a workshop, a building you do not get access to. You also can't build cannon towers due to this.
2. Your gryphon aviary has an option to default build gryphons at the cost of a building you do not own. This one is more of a look issue, and it'd look better if that was removed.
3. I do have a comment on upgrades even though I didn't post it. When I was watching the units I was looking at the numbers representing the number of upgrades next to to the attack. If it does work then that number wasn't upgrading which is a minor change I'd suggest.
4. The hero I had (I forgot her name...I think I had valkyrie but I could be wrong) had the skill resurrect and in the tooltip it had raises 6 units for all 3 levels, which implies that it did not get upgraded when I leveled it up. If it was upgrading something else then that should be in the tooltip instead.
5. This is something I havn't tested, but I noticed each team has two player slots for a potential 2v2, but each team only has one gold mine. I didn't see the troops giving any bounty, and without a gold mine for player 3-6...how do they get income? I could be entirely wrong on this theory since I didn't test it however.
6. Another thing I didn't test is call to arms. What would happen if I massed workers and then mass called to arms them? would it make a mass of computer controlled militia, or would it be the default militia. More of a curiosity than anything, since it'd be weird to mass computer controlled militia at your enemy.

Well anyways, I do think the game needs a fair amount of work. We never got around to testing that much since mech was testing hero without the backup of troops, while I tested unit spam with no hero. It might balance it out if you do both, but if someone doesn't get troops then manspam does seem to destroy heroes. It's hard for me to classify this as an aos looking at many of the angles, but then I havn't played a real game of it either.

Despite my opinions though, you should keep working at it. I could just be biased due to the 1 lane, and the fact items are too widespread and there's no recipes/no direction on what you should be buying. I wish ya both luck on the project.

Reply:
Thanks for commenting. I think each of your points are great and I will make the improvements. To be clear, this is not a joint project, SoJ made the terrain for his own purposes quite a while ago, I asked permission to use it and built the game on top of it and made some smaller changes to the terrain, mostly doodads and buildings.

You are right about the income not being shared, you would have the option to share but its not automatic. I think I might be able to write a GUI income splitting trigger. I'll look into it.

Call to arms works and you could spam militia to gain a temporary advantage, I haven't tested this strat but it might be unbalanced, but it might be a waste of money too. Call to Arms does not transform the militia into comp-controlled units. I was thinking its a unique defense counter to moonwells but you're right it adds an offensive possibility too.

Everything else you said were simple oversights and can be fixed shortly. Thank you for testing, I hope to have them cleaned up soon.

Unit spam is intentional and its like standard Melee massing, its part of the hybrid. Heroes level up to 20 and level up faster because of all the spawnling deaths. I hope it balances out.

Sorry no cannon towers they are OP and not balanced because there is less air units in this map

EDIT: See changelog for new fixes.

Unsolved Issues = Gold sharing (maybe its just too bad for secondary players, they must beg for money) I can't find a GUI fix. I think Jass is needed.

@abgm - Right! never thought anyone would complain about scantily clad female heroes. :)

Last edited:
Level 30
The High Road AoS

Introduction

The map is certainly eye candy when it comes to the awesome hero models and simple yet reliable items but still if judging from an aspect of an AoS. Its good to see a mix of AoS and such melee but still needs a lot of work.

Unexpected tab 1

[tab][tabheader]Good Points:[/tabheader]
  • Terrain is great, of course its SoJ's terrain. What do we expect and modified by you which made it alot better but I dont like the style you spammed the house like a disaster.
  • The heroes looks good. They have fitting custom models which goes well with them but most of the hero's skills are quite simple and some modified in descriptions or triggered but not fully that actually will make it better.
  • Few items yet simple and reliable when it comes to battle mostly the items in the middle shop. What I suggest is add more items and better if there will be a presence of recipes.
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Bad Points:[/tabheader]
  • There are quite no heals here. I wonder where to go and I really do suggest is put the Heals in base because if you will base it in an melee where it is scattered. It will greatly affect gameplay and made it bad to be honest.
  • Towers were quite weak and can easily be crushed by creeps and possible if heroes spammed attack the base then boom. Also please do remember some players doesnt have the time to mix battling with building towers and such. These 2 jobs conflict with others to be honest.
[/tab]

[tab][tabheader]Suggestions:[/tabheader]
  • Terrain imrpovements. It looks great in its state though fix some issues such as the spam you made on the house which made it a disaster.
  • The hero could use some more unique skills that fits well with their role of course.
  • You should also add items mostly Recipes to make it quite better.
  • There are no healers such as Fountains in bases if incase they are scattered all through the map. Its a bad idea because it will really consume much time and while you are busy, other player might attack the main base. I suggest also put a Fountain at Base.
  • Towers are really weak and can be crushed just by stocking up armies of low leveled creeps or even a single hero can crush it just by spam attacking it. I suggest make it more fitting to its title as tower. Strong and high defense. And so you will have to higher the cost of the building.
[/tab]

Comment

Overall, looks decent though I do think not yet fitting for an Approval because of some problems as what I stated above.

Rating: 3/5
Vote: Pending (until further improvements)

The High Road AoS

Introduction

The map is certainly eye candy when it comes to the awesome hero models and simple yet reliable items but still if judging from an aspect of an AoS. Its good to see a mix of AoS and such melee but still needs a lot of work.

Unexpected tab 1

[tab=[COLOR=Lime]Good Points:[/COLOR]]
  • Terrain is great, of course its SoJ's terrain. What do we expect and modified by you which made it alot better but I dont like the style you spammed the house like a disaster.
  • The heroes looks good. They have fitting custom models which goes well with them but most of the hero's skills are quite simple and some modified in descriptions or triggered but not fully that actually will make it better.
  • Few items yet simple and reliable when it comes to battle mostly the items in the middle shop. What I suggest is add more items and better if there will be a presence of recipes.
[/tab]

[tab=[COLOR=Red]Bad Points:[/COLOR]]
  • There are quite no heals here. I wonder where to go and I really do suggest is put the Heals in base because if you will base it in an melee where it is scattered. It will greatly affect gameplay and made it bad to be honest.
  • Towers were quite weak and can easily be crushed by creeps and possible if heroes spammed attack the base then boom. Also please do remember some players doesnt have the time to mix battling with building towers and such. These 2 jobs conflict with others to be honest.
[/tab]

[tab=[COLOR=White]Suggestions:[/COLOR]]
  • Terrain imrpovements. It looks great in its state though fix some issues such as the spam you made on the house which made it a disaster.
  • The hero could use some more unique skills that fits well with their role of course.
  • You should also add items mostly Recipes to make it quite better.
  • There are no healers such as Fountains in bases if incase they are scattered all through the map. Its a bad idea because it will really consume much time and while you are busy, other player might attack the main base. I suggest also put a Fountain at Base.
  • Towers are really weak and can be crushed just by stocking up armies of low leveled creeps or even a single hero can crush it just by spam attacking it. I suggest make it more fitting to its title as tower. Strong and high defense. And so you will have to higher the cost of the building.
[/tab]

Comment

Overall, looks decent though I do think not yet fitting for an Approval because of some problems as what I stated above.

Rating: 3/5
Vote: Pending (until further improvements)

Hmmm, I agree with your diagnosis but I wonder what the cure is.

First, Doodads I added were in keeping with the maps original style, so its a difference of artistic opinion, which is fine, I personally like the clustered buildings. But, you other points raise real issues that concern me.

1) No heals. I want this map to be like Melee in many aspects. I want people to prepare for battle, avoid injury, heal with potions and scrolls. There is a fountain of health along the north lane (which needs to be cleared of creeps). This lane can be controlled by building along it, placing barracks, towers etc. around the fountain. The Pub sells a pint - which is a PogH and a roast which contains 6 heal charges. There is a fountain of power hidden in the secret south lane guarded by Murlocs. Goblin merchant sells healing scrolls - would it help to reduce the restock time and increase inventory? I left it standard in the interest of keeping true to Melee theme. Also, suicide has an advantage in that it restores health, however it gives up major exp points to the enemy. Elves have wells, and humans have scrolls from their shop... are fountains really necessary?

Also Note: you can cut off the main lane and force the game to take new directions! By blocking it with buildings. this would send you passed the fountain.

3) I have never really played many recipe maps. I like this idea but its foreign to me. I think it would be cool too if the Ironsmith could upgrade the old weapons rather than sell new ones. Have you ever scene this? I would like to make it.

4) Towers - Well, there was a good reason for this. I have played with enough melee pros to know that you can keep a hero in combat and do major damage with it, while tower rushing on the side. Maybe Dota players don't get it but Melee is about multi-tasking and its the skill that made WarCraft what it is. I know it didn't explode until WoW when that aspect of Macro-Management was taken out, but I'm old-school and really enjoy it. I like the chess aspect of multiple pieces on a board. In order to win THR - AoS a player will need to be able to keep a hero in combat and build simultaneously. This practice will build a players skills for both Wc3 and Dota. Tower must be nerf'd or else, the good melee player will easily rush and defeat the woodelves or build massive defenses and make the game boring by sitting behind a wall of towers.
Hell_Master said:
Also please do remember some players doesnt have the time to mix battling with building towers and such. These 2 jobs conflict with others to be honest.
Players will need to learn how to do this is they ever want to become pro. Mixing Battle with Building is the essence of ROC and TFT. I bring it to AoS for those who enjoy both.
Towers - part 2.
So here's the balance issue. If towers are normal, we will lose the benefit of units who will now perish to mass structures. (note: massing units is impossible all units limited to 4 or less. so 22 units max not including starting AoS spawn) There is no limit on towers, and humans can mass like silly. I think the current balance is correct but if people really think it needs to be shifted, I can make adjustments. Would it help to limit towers to 4 for each side and make the full strenght? Higher cost... hmmm... I like that... I think I might adjust cost since there is a surplus of money. I still would worry full powered towers will be OP.

5) Hero ability - So I should import more GUI spells, eh? I guess I can do this, but which ones? I will take suggestions and add anything fitting. Currently all Heroes have 1 default unit ability and 1 standard hero spell. All spells level up to 4 or 5. Most ultimates have 2 teirs. Many of the custom spells are based on other standard spells, like resurrection. It now raises 1 fallen soldier. This comes from Nordic Mythology and is in keeping with the historical lore of the Valkyrie.
So, 1 standard ability (for comfort) and 3 custom abilities (for fun). There are 2 heroes on each team with imported GUI knock-back spells and the Rogue has a knock-back net (my poorly written GUI addition), but other than that most spells are a combo OE and GUI. I welcome all ideas, my creative juices are drained. Warden's prison spell involved creating a new model, and I put a lot into the spells, but I would be happy to add anything people want to see, so long as I feel it fits somewhat with the theme.

@Hell_Master and everyone - Please suggest any custom GUI Spell you would like to see featured in this game. Also suggestions for tower costs / defense base / attack base will be welcome but there are a lot of factors in the balance here. My goal is not to let the game become focused on towers but not to let them be totally useless either.

Valkyrie were female spirit/goddesses who move across a battlefield
when the fighting subsided and decided which of the injured to heal or kill
and which of the dead to raise and damned those who were not noble to
the depths of hell.

I love all the feedback so "pending" sounds great to me. Approval brings the downloads but the feedback eeks to a halt.

Last edited:
I understand the points you raised. :)

I am torn between the balance of AoS gamestyle and Melee. As SoJ aptly noted, it mashes a lot into one map. Maybe the concept on its own creates this dilemma.

I definetly agree that more custom spells would make it more badass and other people suggested more custom items with attachments.

Do you have a favorite spell? I would be happy to add it.

Also, anyone who wants a new weapon in this game, needs only ask.
I would be happy to add more weapons too.

I need to think about the towers more. I will test it some more and try different strategies to see if towers are OP against real players.

Well, Orcnet approved, despite my vote and yours for "pending." I will continue to check this thread and hope to see more comments and suggestions and I will try to incorporate them in to future versions.

Last edited:
Level 1
Summon steed remove all other skill of the hero.
Pillaging skill give me so much gold, clear a small camp at level 3 and i get 1000+ gold @@
The human wizard seem too strong, maybe adding a level 3 requirement for meteor ?
No upgrade for sorceress ?
Weapon and armor upgrade don't work, only skill and bonus hp work.
An expensive upgrade on barrack to train knight could be good.

Summon steed remove all other skill of the hero.
Pillaging skill give me so much gold, clear a small camp at level 3 and i get 1000+ gold @@
The human wizard seem too strong, maybe adding a level 3 requirement for meteor ?
No upgrade for sorceress ?
Weapon and armor upgrade don't work, only skill and bonus hp work.
An expensive upgrade on barrack to train knight could be good.

Great suggestions.
I'll add the sorceress upgrade to the next update.
Summon Steed would be better if it kept abilities but unfortunately this is a decision I had to make because "gameplay constants" is the only way I know to change it. And, it was necessary to keep Druid's Crow Form from being OP. I guess, I should make Crow Form a temporary spell, like metamorphosis and then it would be ok to keep abilities. Well, Bow Form for the Night Ranger uses it too. I didn't want her to use Dark Arrow in glaive form.

What do you mean by "weapon and armor upgrade don't work" ? Do you mean like the blacksmith upgrades?

I like the knight upgrade idea. Maybe I'll put this in the next update. +rep!

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
-Sharpshooter has a spell with the hotkey A and the Astromancer with S
-the brown player's kills are bugged; the real number is ten times or so higher than normal
-only one player can control the base if shared units is not on
-the AI does not protect its base, it's not even present there; it also stand until the heroes die

The overall concept is interesting though.