• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] The Heralds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Chiller Presents

The Heralds
Created by Chiller, Devilz05

Map Info

This campaign is an SPRPG about a young man and the terrors he faces in the world that is about
to take a change for the worse.

You are a squire for a retired grandmaster of an order of knights. You can choose your own
past(how you became to be the squire) at character creation, aswell as your alignment,
basic training and traits.

A fairly big part of the campaign is that you can have conversations with NPCs and
what you say has a fairly big impact on how you will end up proceeding, instead of just
picking up quests as you go and doing them. You also swift your alignment little by little
when you do something and you gain magic abilities based on that alignment.

Because of that replayability value will be quite high as the main story and most of the
side quests can proceed in many different ways.

Features

The campaign focuses heavily on character progression, but that doesn't mean grinding for
XP or loot. Rather, you must make choices and quick decisions in cases which demand them
in order to succeed and stay alive(which I assure you, will prove suprisingly hard with
the combat system).
  1. Unique NPCs with their own lines of dialogue and tons of player choices
    that add diversity to questing and make the world feel more alive.
    Through your actions and dialogue choices you also choose the way
    the main story will proceed.
  2. 3rd person camera and movement using arrow keys
  3. Actions that require stamina and its management
  4. Unique combat

Instead of normal W3 combat where u select a unit and send him to attack, you instead
    cast an ability.

Basic attack abilities are Right attack,Left attack, Stab, Upper attack.
    By combining the basic attack abilities in attack sequences,you create combo moves.
    Depending on what moves you commit, you will get different cooldowns for the basic attacks.
    Example: Using Left attack will make the Left attack cooldown slower and using it 2 times
    in a row will cause you to do a whirlwind attack around you which costs more stamina than
    a normal attack and takes a longer time to recover from(longer cooldowns).

You can also use special attacks which you obtain from trainers and which have success rates
    based on your weapon,its weight,your strenght,agility and the stats of the enemy.

Example: You can commit an Aimed attack at any part of the enemies body
    So if you use a Club and want to hit the hand of your enemy, your club will probably be heavy,
    lowering the chance for you to hit the enemy, however, since it is a heavy and blunt weapon,
    when you do hit, you are likely to either disarm your enemy or break his arm bone, making him
    unable to use his that arm.

Even though you have a lot to mind in combat, it is actually smooth and interesting once you
    get used to it as you have to take into account both your enemies and your own strenghts and
    weaknesses.
  5. Unique NPC AI
    The NPCs use the same fighting style as described in Unique Combat section.
    They dont always blindly charge at you but instead have their own tactics, such as trying to
    surround you when they are in a group.
    The AI also depends on NPC type. A group of soldiers are more likely to try and surround
    you first and attack carefully but with a powerful group charge, while a band of bandits
    is likely to just attack you after you look at them in a funny way.

They can also dodge attacks(as can the player) by jumping backwards or using sidesteps
    and stronger enemies don't always have higher HP, just better sword fighting skills.
  6. Day and night cycle
  7. NPC work routines ( work turning the day, sleep turning night, gossip about currently
    ongoing events,visiting the tavern and so on)
  8. An open world
    As soon as the player leaves the starting area he can explore the entire chapter as he pleases.
    Some areas will without doubt cause trouble but almost nothing should be impossible to
    overcome with patience and skill.
  9. Dark caves and ruins to explore that require you to use light sources
  10. LoS(Line of Sight) on NPCs. You can sneak and evade enemies by staying out of sight
    and hearing range or run away from them by hiding(they search for a while if they lose u though)
  11. All custom models for NPCs. Because of the unique fighting system I want to have alot of custom animations.

Lore

The world was once a single all powerful living being - The First Being.
That being grew tired of loneliness and created another being to accompany him - The Second Being.
The Second Being soon became jealous of The First Being, because he was all powerful while the
Second Being was merely a creation. He rose up against the First Being and attempted to
destroy him. The First Being was unable to react. He had never known hatered,jealousy and
never wanted to hurt anyone or anything. The First Being simply stood, as the weak Second
Being clawed away at his flesh and so he began to bleed. The First Being, saddened,
began to weep. His tears burned away the skin of the Second Being and he too began to bleed.
The First Being would not raise a hand against his creation, even though his pain was great.
The Second Being would not relent, even though he began to regret ever laying hands on his
creator, so great was his hatered of that which was mightier than him.

And so the two finally fell dead in pools of their own blood and the world was without life.
But from the blood of The First Being and The Second Being began to rise new life. The beings
that arose have now become known among men as Gods, beings of supreme power that can create
and destroy, bless and curse, heal and harm.

Born from both Good and Evil, they choose their own sides. Some choose to follow the ways
of the First Being - Creating and perserving life.
Others prefer the Second Being - Devouring and conquering.
Most however follow neither, instead living as they see fit, creating and destroying as they
see fit.

Throughout history, there have been quarrels between the Gods, many have fallen and through
unknown means, new ones have risen. Their battles are not only between themselves but also
their creations - the mortal races.

The Dwarves
The Dwarves suffered greatly under the human expansion, as their golden cities soon became
the target of local warlords seeking to gain riches and fame. Being strongly outnumbered and
without divine favour, as their God-King did not belive in bloodshed and urged his
followers to abbandon their cities and join him in his great halls, the dwarves were soon
forced to do just that. Since then, they have alienated themselves from the other races,
choosing instead to devote themselves to their craftsmanship and leaving their Holds and cities
for those who might dare to face what lurks within their walls, because one must always
remember that dwarves never Truly die.

The Elves
The elves are godlike creatures, created after a godess gave away her own life to manifest
the children she never had with her beloved who fell in battle. They live in small camps,
usually in deep forests or in water. Humans regard them with suspicion, as there are tales
about how little children get drawn to their songs and never return. This strange and
stealthy race is in most part unknown to others and those who know more about them are said
to be unable to reveal the secrets they hold.

The Orcs
The Orcs are a people divided in castes - Workers, Warrior, Priesthood and Chieftains.
For as long as anyone can remember(or at least as long as any Orc can remember) that has
always been the way. They prepare their whole lives for The Great Journey across the
western desert, for their priests have taught them that their Creator,Divine Protector
and Guide awaits them on the other side - wether that is really true or not is up to
debate, as none have ever returned from the journey.
Their customs are about to change however, as a strange warrior, calling himself
an Avatar has began to rally the warriors to his cause, offering services to neighboring lands
for pay. These warriors are now preparing for a rebellion, to overthrow the current orcish
leaders and conquer the lands in the name of their mighty clan.

The Humans
The humans were created as slaves to serve in an army to wipe out all the other races
and their creator gods. They were however too stuborn, too self-centered and filled with
will to live and so they broke free from their masters.
In time, the small human tribes united against outside threats, such as the once warlike
dwarves and numerous lesser races that inhabited the lands. Under this union, the humans
were able to defeat all their foes and were finally able to create a single standing empire
with the help of the Holy Order - a priesthood of humans who worshiped gods who offered
humanity protection.
Although they triumphed over the other races thanks to eachother, the different bands soon
disperssed and the empire was no more. Numerous kingdoms arose from the conquered lands,
the golden cities of the dwarves became centers of trade and culture.
The lords of the realms would constantly be at eachothers throats to capture small
bits of land, all at the cost of the common people that serve under them.

Lesser Races
All inteligent creatures that were not created or protected by a powerful god are considered
Lesser races. Beings like fishmen or lava beasts are usually considered to be part of the
lesser races, even though they both practice divine magic. There are numerous lesser races
in the world and even some which exsistence is a secret to all.

Screenshots and Videos

Image Description:
Farmlands

199088-albums6171-picture66459.png

Image Description:
Bandit camp(ignore the swordsmen,they are there only for comparing sizes)

199088-albums6171-picture66460.png

Image Description:

Graveyard

199088-albums6171-picture66461.png

Image Description:

Small island

199088-albums6171-picture66462.png

Image Description:

Farm

199088-albums6171-picture66458.png

Image Description:

Forest

199088-albums6171-picture66457.png

Image Description:

Waterfall

199088-albums6171-picture66456.png

No videos yet

Change Log

Coming soon-ish!

Author's notes

All in all, it's a pretty damn big project, but I'm having fun working on it and I have also learned alot of new things(when i started i didn't know anything about modeling, but now im quite good at it :)..still strugling with skinning) ).

Progress
Terrain: I I I I I I I I I I
Systems: I I I I I I I I I I
Models: I I I I I I I I I I
Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Level 14
This sounds interesting. I'm a big fan of SPRPGs as that is what I am currently working on. I can't see any of your screenshots though, I wonder if they are in a private album or something.

Level 4
Yeah, you were right, my bad, i put them in the private album by accident, thanks for the notice

Level 14
That's better! The terrain is looking very nice. I'm a big fan of high quality textures. The systems you want to implement also sound pretty good, I hope things work out well, I'll be checking back from time to time. Good luck!

Level 4
Thanks for the support :)
And yes, I know about the grass (learned about it the hard way as i tested the map) but i replaced most of it with non-animated and with the little that's left the fps is fine.
Edit: The screenshots show the most beautiful places and the animated grass looks really good so there's lots of it in the screenies >.< Other areas have less.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.