• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] The Dark Below

What needs to be improved in this campaign?

• The Story

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • The Terrain

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • The Spells

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Items

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Gameplay

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Something else..

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • This campaign is bad, call it off!

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zenonoth, Quinten, Unregret Presents..

The Dark Below

MAINCamp_PREVS.jpg

"With the destruction of the Well of Eternity and the events that followed such as the great sundering, Queen Azshara has struck a bargain with the old god, N'Zoth to save her people from plunging into the depths of the sea at the cost of her people becoming the terrifying Naga, Azshara and her minions strive to find a place amidst the world now that they've forged new allies!"
Story

Mb1j70h.png

The Story of the campaign is centered around the empress of Nazjatar, Azshara and her plot to restore glory to her beloved subjects after failing the legion during the War of the Ancients, Azshara has forged new alliances with N'Zoth and the Old God's Minions and now they seek to bring forth destruction upon Azeroth.
Features

y8nxUiB.png

- Voice Acting
- Many planned missions
- 7 New Races (Forsaken, Goblin, Draenei, Burning Legion, Lost One Draenei, Corrupted Ancients, Blood Elves)
- 2 Modified Races (Fel Orc, Naga)
- Achievements
- Professions
- Legendary Items
- Unlockable Cheats
- Bonus Levels (Unlockables)

Videos

jV91Dcj.png

Screenshots

qpHIGRq.png

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

Techtree

SRN3q9E.png

TECHTREE.jpg

Changelog

gzHJ0tg.png

Coming soon..

Updates

yYR9iWa.png

Coming soon..

Credits

W7qNgoh.png

Coming soon..

Playable Characters (So Far)

um9dpW3.png

Coming soon..

Progress

udBsvNX.png

- PROLOGUE: THE PACT (70%)
Complaints / To-Do List

4fjfzQ9.png

Coming soon..

Recruitment

KXmfPOv.png

- Need nitpicking BETA Testers
- Any other contributors are welcome.

Attachments

• The Dark Below v1.0.w3n
    39.7 MB · Views: 8,314
Last edited:

ISL

ISL

Level 13
The first thing I'd like to point out is the voice acting. It got me really impressed from the very beginning! and I'm also flattered by the thought that I make the same voice as your N'zoth ;D

Another very important thing is the music. The choice of it and how it changes during the prologue really contributes to the first impressions. :)

However, there's something that screwed the whole sound part of the cinematic for me, which are the combat sounds. After the scene where dark elves fight the demons, all of those units should be either paused or removed, so the sounds of them smacking each other wouldn't continue till the end of the cinematic.

Judging by how much attention I payed to the sound effects, you can tell that the visual part didn't impress me that much. The landscape and scenery were decent, and they shouldn't necessarily be outstanding; The models and skins were all shiny and quite fancy; The night elf warriors were just spellbreakers with a different model, meaning that they shot their weird shurikens from their melee weapons.

The scene where nagas where coming out of the sea - a really minor detail, but they should really be spawned already facing their destination instead of the default 270 degrees. Also during that scene, you can see the white emptiness outside the map.

That's all for the prologue cinematic, for now.
I'd be really happy to write something about the first mission, but you didn't seem to complete it before you've started this thread, which is sad.

Anyway, continue what you do because what you do is well done :D
Wish you good luck :)

Level 20
With all due respect... You have a couple of unfinished projects and yet you continue to start/announce more.

Wouldn't it be better if you just focused your efforts on one of the already existing projects and, you know, actually finish it?

The story is still under heavy development, we're currently debating on whether it should be warcraft-lore or custom lore based to draw more players, what of your opinions @cleavinghammer ?

If you are using existing warcraft characters, then it should be warcraft-lore (including wow), if it's new characters then it can be more custom.

Which is the main playable race?

My knowledge of Warcraft lore is limited to the manual and the lore-following campaigns on Hive, so I figure you can broadly follow the lore while adding your own details (minor characters, sidequests, events...).
Sure.

With all due respect... You have a couple of unfinished projects and yet you continue to start/announce more.

Wouldn't it be better if you just focused your efforts on one of the already existing projects and, you know, actually finish it?
Most of my campaigns were made before patch 1.29 with it's coming, most of them have beenruined and are beyond fixing so I thought of this is to be my ultimate one.

If you are using existing warcraft characters, then it should be warcraft-lore (including wow), if it's new characters then it can be more custom.

Which is the main playable race?
The Naga are the main playable race, what of your opinions on the story?

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

So I watched the Prologue and.... yeah, I'm not impressed. Here's why.

Firstly, the story is picked up from nowhere and is told through the perspective of someone who has intimate knowledge of the books and games. Anyone who hasn't bothered to research prior to starting it will be utterly lost. A campaign should NEVER require the player to spend time on the wiki for them to understand anything. I think Destiny taught us that valuable lesson long ago.

Secondly, the audio is broken or bugged - take your pick. Once you fade away from the battle, the attack sounds just keep playing. I'm not sure if that's cause you've not removed the units or because you used sound triggers(???) for it. In any case, it breaks immersion and becomes annoying.

Thirdly, once you have the Naga transformation scene, it's extremely clunky and looks terrible - no effect, no fade-out, just remove and create unit triggers - it's lazy and looks terrible for anyone who has played any game made after 2001.

Fourth, the scene of the Naga coming out of the ocean is just bad - for one, you can see the end of the map and the sky box just cuts in from nowhere. NEVER do that or you will be laughed at by anyone who has basic game design know-how. Also, the units should be coming in from off-screen, not spawning in front of the player/viewer - that's breaking immersion (again)

Fifth, the art design is just all over the place - WoW rips and models from 2002? Choose an aesthetic or style and follow it. Mixing and matching makes everything look poor and amateurish. This is game/mod design 101 here. I haven't gotten to any advanced stuff yet....

The presence of VO is cool and all but telling the story to a player while looking at poorly scripted artistically-inconsistent set-pieces or a black screen is hardly deserving of more than a 2/10 in my book. Either go back and put effort into your work or can this and finish one of your other (I lost track how many) unfinished projects. 1.29 did not break anything beyond salvage - it just takes work and effort to fix the problems.

Firstly, the story is picked up from nowhere and is told through the perspective of someone who has intimate knowledge of the books and games. Anyone who hasn't bothered to research prior to starting it will be utterly lost. A campaign should NEVER require the player to spend time on the wiki for them to understand anything. I think Destiny taught us that valuable lesson long ago.

It is assumed that a lot of people here know warcraft lore, so it wouldn't be a problem for them. Or just write a bit more about the background

Secondly, the audio is broken or bugged - take your pick. Once you fade away from the battle, the attack sounds just keep playing. I'm not sure if that's cause you've not removed the units or because you used sound triggers(???) for it. In any case, it breaks immersion and becomes annoying.

That can be done just by pausing or removing the units after the fade.

Thirdly, once you have the Naga transformation scene, it's extremely clunky and looks terrible - no effect, no fade-out, just remove and create unit triggers - it's lazy and looks terrible for anyone who has played any game made after 2001.

Actually there is an effect and sound, but still can't figure out are they underwater and if so, how they survive as ordinary elves. And transformation was definitely not instantaneous. There are underwater effects in resource section I believe.

Fourth, the scene of the Naga coming out of the ocean is just bad - for one, you can see the end of the map and the sky box just cuts in from nowhere. NEVER do that or you will be laughed at by anyone who has basic game design know-how. Also, the units should be coming in from off-screen, not spawning in front of the player/viewer - that's breaking immersion (again)

Move the camera more to the left. Myrmidons should be spawned as submerged, use the inversed submerged ability to rise from the waters and then move to the land. Now there is a fraction of second seeing them as land unit instead of swimming.

Fifth, the art design is just all over the place - WoW rips and models from 2002? Choose an aesthetic or style and follow it. Mixing and matching makes everything look poor and amateurish. This is game/mod design 101 here. I haven't gotten to any advanced stuff yet....

Which wow rips? For some cinematic only characters can be fine, although pay attention to body proportions so they are not too different.

The presence of VO is cool and all but telling the story to a player while looking at poorly scripted artistically-inconsistent set-pieces or a black screen is hardly deserving of more than a 2/10 in my book. Either go back and put effort into your work or can this and finish one of your other (I lost track how many) unfinished projects. 1.29 did not break anything beyond salvage - it just takes work and effort to fix the problems.

My take on voice overs is that heroes that speak in cinematic should have the same voice actor making a sound set for that hero unit, so it doesn't feel it's another character.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

It is assumed that a lot of people here know warcraft lore, so it wouldn't be a problem for them. Or just write a bit more about the background

That can be done just by pausing or removing the units after the fade.

Actually there is an effect and sound, but still can't figure out are they underwater and if so, how they survive as ordinary elves. And transformation was definitely not instantaneous. There are underwater effects in resource section I believe.

Move the camera more to the left. Myrmidons should be spawned as submerged, use the inversed submerged ability to rise from the waters and then move to the land. Now there is a fraction of second seeing them as land unit instead of swimming.

Which wow rips? For some cinematic only characters can be fine, although pay attention to body proportions so they are not too different.

My take on voice overs is that heroes that speak in cinematic should have the same voice actor making a sound set for that hero unit, so it doesn't feel it's another character.

Yes, the fix is easy - but the fact that it was released without any of them is telling. It means the work is lazy

Level 20
Most of my campaigns were made before patch 1.29 with it's coming, most of them have beenruined and are beyond fixing so I thought of this is to be my ultimate one.
Oh, so this means that all your other projects, bar maybe Battle for Azeroth, are cancelled?

At any rate, I've actually watched the prologue.

1) Terrain is fine, but I've seen much better in some of your other maps.

2) You should really spend some time polishing the written lines before you publish something. Things like ".." are really annoying - either use "..." or a regular dot. Also, there's quite a lot of instances where you forget to use capital letters, for instance "N'zoth the corruptor".

3) Queen Azshara sounds as if she was depressed. Now, I'm not bashing the voice actress/actor - I'm just saying that in the lore she was always this self-confident, narcisstic queen with a little bit of a playful side to her (see her encounter with Farondis is WoW:Legion) and in your version she doesn't sound like that at all.

4) As for the story...

a) Zin-Azshari was a city - so how could the battle that took place there "rage across the whole continent"?!
b) While I understood the story, I agree with @don_svetlio that you should have set up the War of the Ancients more to provide sufficient context.
c) Meanwhile, while I know my lore, I have no idea what the scene with Mannoroth was supposed to mean?
d) The general flow of the story in the prologue is all over the place. I get the impression you tried to put too many things in too little time. For instance, I think that both the Mannoroth's and Malfurion's scenes are completely unnecessary and that having more Azshara scenes instead would be more beneficial to the story.

5) And as mentioned by @don_svetlio the cinematic itself lacks polish and feels amateur-ish. Things like being able to see the edge of the map or units spawning out of nowhere on screen are definetely something that should not happen.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

@MasterBlaster actually reminds me of something I forgot to add

Always assume the player knows nothing when telling a longer story than 1-2 missions. Story-boarding rule #1 - the player/viewer/reader only knows what you tell them - not what's in your head or what's written on the box. Make it logical. Make it consistent and make the flow gradual. Never do massive information dumps and showing is always better than telling. If you can show a flyover of a massive battle scene - do that. Don't tell the player about it while they are looking at a black screen with the same 3 sounds repeating in the background.

As for character writing - that's a different story but I do agree with @MasterBlaster again - try to keep it consistent with established lore if you are following it or just make your own universe. Don't try to make "fan-made" re-imaginations of existing lore - that fails in 9/10 cases with rare exceptions.

Honestly, Pr0nogo's theory is pretty evident with your works - feature bleed-in is quite obvious. That's why you need to have a solid plan and outline for what you are going otherwise you end up with an experience/product that's all over the spectrum on every front.

EDIT: Take this advice from someone who has suffered the same problems and learned from his experience of cancelling projects due to the absurd amount of features that I've tried to cram in and failed. Keeping things realistic for your goals is important if you want to have a solid experience for the player.

Yes, the fix is easy - but the fact that it was released without any of them is telling. It means the work is lazy

Not exactly lazy, you may see those issues in other works too so you become used to and don't even pay attention or just being focused on some other things and you can easily miss certain things which for other people is more important. This is why I usually get more different tester so everyone can say a different things, as different eyes see different things. For example, I never thought that not pinging the objective would be an issue.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Not exactly lazy, you may see those issues in other works too so you become used to and don't even pay attention or just being focused on some other things and you can easily miss certain things which for other people is more important. This is why I usually get more different tester so everyone can say a different things, as different eyes see different things. For example, I never thought that not pinging the objective would be an issue.

Normally I'd agree but this is not some obscure bug or glitch - this is a giant oversight staring you in the face and screaming at you - watching the prologue once is enough to spot those and correct them. It's not something that should be passed up since it's easy to fix and just serves to show that the author has not really done much in the way of testing and that ruins first impressions.

Level 3

I agree in 100 %.

Thanks for the nitpicking feedback @don_svetlio I direly need it to improve.

In next update I'll feature first mission.
Also these fixes will be applied for the prologue.
- Mannoroth's explosion now has a sound.
- You will no longer hear fighting after the cinematic fades

- Fixed N'Zoth's camera angle
- The Highborne drowned in the seafloor will now appear dead
- Fixed the Naga spawn camera angle.
- They now appear submerging forward as @Mechanical Man suggested.

Will add all who help me in the campaign's credit list.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

That's good to hear - I hope you understand that a first impression is usually what makes or breaks a mod since people have limited time and hence they don't tend to play things that don't grab them so a strong opener is vital for any lengthy project.

EVERYONE, I COULD USE SOME ASSISTANCE

We currently have 3 proposed stories for the Naga Campaign each by different users, I'd like to take your opinions on which one is the best or you would feel entertained while playing it. (If you have your own story then please tell it)

@Map Critic 404 suggested that the campaign tells the story of Azshara starting from the events of Cataclysm where she makes an appearance at Darkshore later on into the Broken Shore in order to retrieve the Tidestone of Golganneth.

@sasha11 hinted that a Sargeras-influenced Medivh could come to Azshara and have her collect valuable artifacts in order to bring her back through time at the war of the ancients to ensure her victory.

I was thinking more of a campaign where Azshara breaks free from N'Zoth's will.

Which one is more fitting, also any suggestions on the story design is MUCH appreciated! which includes new story design suggestions!

Last edited:

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

My thoughts on those summaries

#1 - would make sense, I guess
#2 - time travel is very bad story telling, avoid it
#3 - don't do cliche, this one is cliche

Honestly, I'd say making your own universe is better since it gives you more creative freedom and sticking to default Blizzard designs severely limits you in a lot of ways.

Level 14
Honestly, I'd say making your own universe is better since it gives you more creative freedom and sticking to default Blizzard designs severely limits you in a lot of ways.
I agree that Making your own universe or making a non-canonical WoW story like N'zoth becomes a good guy or anything you wanna happen is diverting away from Blizzard's finite lore and following its lore has some cases of collision with lore.
For example, if you kill Thrall, it's like you kill his immortality which is clearly the fact in Blizzard, Thrall cannot die. :)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I was thinking more of a campaign where Azshara breaks free from N'Zoth's will.
This sounds most interesting from the three.

"With the destruction of the Well of Eternity and the events that followed such as the great sundering, Queen Azshara has struck a bargain with the old god, N'Zoth to save her people from plunging into the depths of the sea at the cost of her people becoming the terrifying Naga, Azshara and her minions strive to find a place amidst the world now that they've forged new allies!"
I don't see how Azshara could have made a deal with N'zoth when they were already in the sea going towards the Maelstrom. Did N'zoth contact Azshara telepathically? Anyways, probably the character was unconscious after what happened anyway. I don't know...

Too many deviations and contradictions from official lore can make players upset, since many on this site are mostly in warcraft lore. The final outcome shouldn't visibly alter the world and main characters.

#3 - don't do cliche, this one is cliche

Cliche is fine if story is secondary and you want more to showcase awesome gameplay and assets.

~ * 1ST SPOILERS * ~
- After much debate, the story will try to follow the Warcraft Lore as much as possible with very few custom lore elements.
- The first mission will feature Azshara going to Darkshore to bring forth Soggoth the Slitherer, an ancient servant of the old gods while the main purpose is to delay Malfurion from Mount Hyjal until Deathwing's Rise

SCREEN1.jpg

SCREEN2.jpg

- Also like in other Strategy games like Red Alert 3 you'll get the choice to choose between two partners who'll Co-OP build near your base, defend or attack your enemies. They will be either Harjatan the Bludgeoner or Mistress Sassz'ine

CURRENTLY IN DIRE NEED OF:
- AI Editor expert
- Designer for Techtree + Hero Skills + Items

From what I understand it's not just him, but some sort of clan which develop more projects independently.

To Zenothoth, if the campaign file contains just the cinematic which is shown on youtube, posting in the thread is not needed.

Level 15
Oh, look. Zenonoth's 10th started campaign that he is never going to finish and abandon it half way through. Mods should start deleting your threads, and even punish you in some way for spamming forums without intention to finish any of your started projects. You remind me on another guy for Hive, can't remember his name (he made Tides of War campaign), he was also doing something similar like you, but thankfully stopped...

Oh, look. Zenonoth's 10th started campaign that he is never going to finish and abandon it half way through. Mods should start deleting your threads, and even punish you in some way for spamming forums without intention to finish any of your started projects. You remind me on another guy for Hive, can't remember his name (he made Tides of War campaign), he was also doing something similar like you, but thankfully stopped...

These campaigns have all been handled to different people, I finished 2 so far but one of them didn't satisfy me enough, all the others were handled appropriately. (I also already deleted their threads)

Plus, please understand that it's difficult to create a good campaign, it's very hard work when you're doing almost all the progress by yourself.

Level 5

These campaigns have all been handled to different people, I finished 2 so far but one of them didn't satisfy me enough, all the others were handled appropriately. (I also already deleted their threads)
Plus, please understand that it's difficult to create a good campaign, it's very hard work when you're doing almost all the progress by yourself.

Tbh, MogulKahn is kinda right. You do the same like me. Just stick to the campaign you like and then do it. However, Zenonoth is also kinda right, you can't expect something big to be made by one guy.

Actually he started 6 campaign threads since 2012, so numbering 10 is a bit far fetched. Also many people start by trying multiple project to finally settle on a one they like.

~ * 2ND SPOILERS * ~
- After even further debates we've decided to add a minor custom lore element to the campaign so as to start a unique work.
- The Story is set in the Blasted Lands as Azshara works to conquer it before striking another deal that could reshape her history

The Map Features:
1-2 Main Quests 6 Optional Quests
2-Voice acting and unique music
3-Co-OP allies who will help/build/support your efforts in the map
4-Achievements
5-Secret Areas
6-Legendary Items
7-Custom race (Worgen/Modified Naga Techtree)

The map will be released for testing in 1-2 days maximum after the AI is fixed.

Special thanks to the outstanding @Unregret and @Quinten

SS1.jpg

SS2.jpg

SS3.jpg

NOTE: @xISLx 's spells will be added in the finalized map version.

Last edited:
terrain could be improved, it's the same tile over all the base with no vegetation or whatever comes in that biome
I'm the terrainer for this project and what you are implying is true, but I have done that on purpose...

You see, I terrained it more after the actual landscape featured in WoW, instead of the traditional WC3 style terrain.

However there is not enough texture variation to justify, so you have to do it manually by adding more tiles, even if that means to import one from other tileset or maybe use some from this site. Also if you look closely to a random image of Blasted Lands, you will notice there are small stones all over the place. This does not mean you should use original rocks from editor, but something that would replace what would be flowers or mushrooms in other tilesets. Also you want to change a tile which is benneath the rocks and trees, but most importantly water should be different too.

2gzXu21.jpg

However there is not enough texture variation to justify, so you have to do it manually by adding more tiles, even if that means to import one from other tileset or maybe use some from this site. Also if you look closely to a random image of Blasted Lands, you will notice there are small stones all over the place. This does not mean you should use original rocks from editor, but something that would replace what would be flowers or mushrooms in other tilesets. Also you want to change a tile which is benneath the rocks and trees, but most importantly water should be different too.

undefined
This version of blasted lands is based of earlier versions of WoW, in only the recent expansions have they suddenly started on adding more texture to their landscapes, we'd prefer the older style.

And for "However there is not enough texture variation to justify, so you have to do it manually by adding more tiles, even if that means to import one from other tileset." didnt you notice theres almost the entire felwood tileset added to the mix as well as some barrens tiles? Theres liturally 0 tileslots left.

This version of blasted lands is based of earlier versions of WoW, in only the recent expansions have they suddenly started on adding more texture to their landscapes, we'd prefer the older style.

And for "However there is not enough texture variation to justify, so you have to do it manually by adding more tiles, even if that means to import one from other tileset." didnt you notice theres almost the entire felwood tileset added to the mix as well as some barrens tiles? Theres liturally 0 tileslots left.

I didnt notice because I have no map file. And I am not quarreling, just stating my opinions :/

~ * 1ST UPDATE * ~
CHAPTER#1: THE BLASTED LANDS
"On her road to conquering the shores of Azeroth, Azshara sets her sights upon the Blasted Lands, aiming to destroy the mortal bastions within it..She will definitely find more than what she bargained for.."
The Map Features:
1-2 Main Quests 6 Optional Quests
2-Voice acting and unique music
3-Co-OP allies who will help/build/support your efforts in the map
4-Achievements
5-Secret Areas
6-Legendary Items
7-Custom race (Worgen/Modified Naga Techtree)

DOWNLOAD LINK ON FIRST POST.

SS3.jpg

SS2.jpg

NEED NITPICKING REVIEWS ABOUT EVERY MINOR DETAIL, But take into consideration that this is VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY EARLY BETA TESTING STAGE, I wouldn't deem the map even 30% completed yet.

Level 29
My review

Prologue
"Old God" "Kalimdor" "Well of Eternity"
-Azshara didn't sought ultimate power. Well, she kind of sought more power, but her goal was to purify Azeroth from the races she deemed lower (in other words, all that weren't her subjects)

I suggest you see the Warbringers Azshara video. It makes Azshara both more villainous and badass

Chapter One
-My suggestion: Tips shouldn't be on the Loading Screen
-Azshara's class should be Empress of Nazjatar
-I can only hear Environment Sounds
-The custom naga buildings you made don't have birth animations
-Azshara should be both larger and stronger. Unless you give an explanation to why she is weaker
-I like the fact that you made so many optional quests. However I didn't had time to play all
-Increase the gold amount of the gold mines like 10 times, because they were depleted before I could destroy both bases
-I suggest creating more units/upgrades/abilities for this naga race, otherwise it won't be very different from playing with the old naga race
-Azshara has no problem helping/attacking orcs, night elves and demons apparently

My review

Prologue
"Old God" "Kalimdor" "Well of Eternity"
-Azshara didn't sought ultimate power. Well, she kind of sought more power, but her goal was to purify Azeroth from the races she deemed lower (in other words, all that weren't her subjects)

I suggest you see the Warbringers Azshara video. It makes Azshara both more villainous and badass

Chapter One
-My suggestion: Tips shouldn't be on the Loading Screen
-Azshara's class should be Empress of Nazjatar
-I can only hear Environment Sounds
-The custom naga buildings you made don't have birth animations
-Azshara should be both larger and stronger. Unless you give an explanation to why she is weaker
-I like the fact that you made so many optional quests. However I didn't had time to play all
-Increase the gold amount of the gold mines like 10 times, because they were depleted before I could destroy both bases
-I suggest creating more units/upgrades/abilities for this naga race, otherwise it won't be very different from playing with the old naga race
-Azshara has no problem helping/attacking orcs, night elves and demons apparently

Where there any bugs in the second map?

Level 29
Where there any bugs in the second map?

No. I didn't find any at least.

-The plot seems interesting
-I like large maps, however it becomes annoying having to spend so much time walking around to complete optional quests

Status
Not open for further replies.