• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Assassin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
@TWIF, I cannot agree at all. There is not a single unit in either of the four Warcraft tech trees that are either hired or permanently invisible. What is your definition of a "generic" unit?

@Whisper, they will be smaller, rest assured.

Level 48
@Linaze, I believe what TWIF was trying to say is that it's similar to other 'assassins' in other games, e.g. the Dark Templar in SC2. I agree, to some extent, but then again, the point here is not to make a unique unit but rather to make a useful unit with a relatively broad purpose and many strategical possibilities.

In use and application it is generic.
1) There are MANY stealthed melee high dps units out there for harass.
2) The idea of an assasin that operates in this way is again, unoriginal.
3) My suggestion is you rethink some mechanics, try to breathe new life into the concept.
4) I have a unit in LotD, a tauren Shaman, who has an ethereal form, with a catch, the unit is invisible on the radar, and only has a faint 'distortion' effect to the visible eye. these units do not auto aquire, and will not be attacked back unless the opposing player SPECIFICALLY targets them (they are targetable, but produce no selection circle) or has a detector which nullifies this field.
A kind of new way to approach the same end would produce a much more interesting inter-tech relationship in the game, producing new ideas to counter and utilize these units, And a more fun game experience with the all new mechanics.

Level 1
The Assassin unit's priority is, as I see it, to show the ambush and stealth side of warfare and to incorporate it in the setting of SoC. The implementation doesn't have to be unnecessarily complicated or imaginative to be fun and, more importantly, to blend in well with the game as a whole.

I am also a fan of the KISS principle.

Level 17
TWIF, granted, the assassin being a high damaging melee unit is over-used, but it is a concept that works, and seems to work well (judging from the screenshots).

However, I have to say - your unit textures really don't blend well with the standard WC3 buildings. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.