• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Additive Filter Mode and MDL Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Magos, Retera's Model Studio and Mdlvis all show a clear difference between the Additive and Add Alpha filter modes, but Additive looks identical to Add Alpha when models are imported into a map. This means that either this filter mode looked different and was changed/broken at some point or all of these programs display it incorrectly.

I attached two test models in case anyone wants to help by testing this on different patches. The model is a simple plane with team color; the different shades are more visible with darker colors, like purple and black.
FilterModes.png

I know this probably should've been a separate thread, but I also included an MDL version of the two test models because I'm curious whether the MDL format can be used on different game versions (both MDL and MDX work on patch 1.29.2).

Attachments

• AdditiveTest.rar
    26.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Level 21
They are the same.
Thanks for the answer, but what makes all of those programs display it incorrectly?
Whether add alpha existed at some point, or was just a guess by someone, I have no clue.
What do you mean? Both Additive and Add Alpha can be found in many standard classic models; the former is used in both material layers and particle emitters, while the latter appears to be used only in material layers.

Level 29
I assume most programs are based on Magos' specs/code, as my code was in the past, which used the wrong blending equation.

Maybe the two values were actually different in the past, I don't know, at this point in time they are the same, as you noticed, and work as additive multiplied by the alpha.

As to MDL, it works on Reforged if that's what you mean, and was updated with Reforged tokens and data.

Level 21
I assume most programs are based on Magos' specs/code, as my code was in the past, which used the wrong blending equation.

Maybe the two values were actually different in the past, I don't know, at this point in time they are the same, as you noticed, and work as additive multiplied by the alpha.
Thanks for the info! That was also my guess.
As to MDL, it works on Reforged if that's what you mean, and was updated with Reforged tokens and data.
Yes, that was my question. If I recall correctly, models in the MDL format didn't show up on some old patches.

Status
Not open for further replies.