• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tinting geosets using mdl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey i want to try out different rgb codes for in-game textures, but i am not using magos so i will have to do it with the notepad and an mdl file.

after a little lookin around i found out that i need to "create a geosetanim for the parts i want coloured differently, then look for that in the mdl, change the interger of static alpha to 1 and play around with the static colors."

But i'm a bit lost, could anyone shed any light? I'm not sure on what "create a geosetanim for the parts..." means, do i replicate those parts and make them have an alpha mesh? The lines Static alpha and static color are not present in my pad, do i also add them there?

Basically i want to recolor the white parts of the sorceress texture in the mdx attached to the post without editing the blp and making it a different asset.

Attachments

• fuwzardz.mdl
    434.4 KB · Views: 25
Level 20
What you're asking generally isn't possible because of how the skin is laid out on the model, which is why people would edit the blp instead.

In this case, changing the white parts of the dress would also change the color of her skin and hair.

Level 4
What you're asking generally isn't possible because of how the skin is laid out on the model, which is why people would edit the blp instead.

In this case, changing the white parts of the dress would also change the color of her skin and hair.
I am aware, but i got no issues with that since the file is not using those parts of the texture anyway

Would splitting geosets work if another texture is added on them afterwards?
I don't think i need to split any geos considering what's being used and where, unless the tint fucks up the shadows of the team colored parts too hard

Level 29
You will have to either modify the texture, or modify the geosets.

Sure, you can apply a geoset animation which as you say tints, however it does it uniformly to all pixels when rendering geosets, as the name may suggest.
If you make a separate geoset for the parts you want to color, as deepstrasz said, then it will work fine.

Unless you make a graphics "mod" and hijack the shaders, I hear it's possible now :xxd:

What did you convert this mdl with though? It has differences to my parser.

Last edited:
Level 4
You will have to either modify the texture, or modify the geosets.

Sure, you can apply a geoset animation which as you say tints, however it does it uniformly to all pixels when rendering geosets, as the name may suggest.
If you make a separate geoset for the parts you want to color, as deepstrasz said, then it will work fine.

Unless you make a graphics "mod" and hijack the shaders, I hear it's possible now :xxd:

What did you convert this mdl with though? It has differences to my parser.
Hey, any guides on what you guys mean?
What do i need to apply to the geoanim to do that? Do i have to duplicate each part and the drag the mesh towards any alpha part of the texture?

Level 29
Separate the parts of the mesh that you want colored to another mesh (or duplicate and delete the originals, whatever a program you are using offers).
This isn't something you are going to do in a text editor, unless you are crazy.

Then you add a geoset animation with a static or animated color, and point it to the new geoset.
This you can do in a text editor, albeit I don't understand why you'd do so.
The whole point of using programs is that there's no reason for you to learn the exact MDL syntax or whatnot.

As far as what texture the new geoset uses, it can be e.g. any white texture in the game, or you can use the same texture assuming the UV unwrap of the new geoset only touches white parts.
White is 1.
The geoset animation color is some color RGB in the range of 0 to 1.
The end result is therefore 1*RGB=RGB.

Status
Not open for further replies.