• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thank you, Hive Workshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello all, Brandon Lacasse (Xsilver07/Sayaer) here, its been a long time since I've been back to the hive, i used to be a very active member submitting the best i had in maps at the time. Some of you may remember me from the Paired Mapping Contest submission (and 3rd place winner) Cardiators.

The reason i'm posting here today is to just thank The Hive Workshop for being one of the most valuable resources in learning the in's and outs of mapping, which have subsequently lead into my career as CEO/COO/Creative Director of Digitalized Gamer Studios.

While i'm no longer working on Warcraft III or Starcraft II mods, as much as i miss doing it, my first title (a Tower Defense!) WorldBreaker Tower Defense will see it's beta launch on PC at the end of this month. We're targeting PC/Android platforms right now, with IPhone/Mac/Xbox360 in the pipes later this year.

It's great being an Indie developer right now, and i can't wait to share the work me and my team have put together to inspire others, as we're not only making games, but in the near future will be teaching people how to make games.

So thanks again Hive Workshop, you've given me alot over the years, now we will soon be offering resources to the world as well, but in the forms of Game Development, Game Business, Programming, and more.

You can follow us via:
twitter: twitter.com/digitalizedgmr
facebook: facebook.com/pages/digitalized-gamer/116252321785607
and most important: www.DigitalizedGamer.com

Happy modding, we hope to see many of you in the future!

Update!:
Our studio has launched funding for the project through the popular website Kickstarter, you can pledge any amount and earn rewards (such as a free copy of the game) from us!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/363715691/worldbreaker-tower-defense

Last edited:
Level 22
That's older than me... So it seems people grow up and no longer want to do anything war3/sc2 related. That makes me feel bad for even experimenting with the SC2 editor. Cause such thing is seriously discouraging when you see someone saying he no longer does smth cause too old for it, which seems to be the case. My reasons are that I play more melee but still, acts demotivational for me.

Level 5
That's older than me... So it seems people grow up and no longer want to do anything war3/sc2 related. That makes me feel bad for even experimenting with the SC2 editor. Cause such thing is seriously discouraging when you see someone saying he no longer does smth cause too old for it, which seems to be the case. My reasons are that I play more melee but still, acts demotivational for me.

I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post, i'm not saying i no longer mod war3/star2 cause i'm old, simply because i've learned so much from them i've moved on to making my own games from scratch, code and all.

HiveWorkshop was an integral role in that process and thus was the purpose of my post, i fully encourage anyone to continue modding warcraft 3 and starcraft 2, Blizzard was very smart with their editors and it can teach you a ton about how a game is actually made, keep on modding and dont stop, great things await!

I think you misunderstood the purpose of my post, i'm not saying i no longer mod war3/star2 cause i'm old, simply because i've learned so much from them i've moved on to making my own games from scratch, code and all.

HiveWorkshop was an integral role in that process and thus was the purpose of my post, i fully encourage anyone to continue modding warcraft 3 and starcraft 2, Blizzard was very smart with their editors and it can teach you a ton about how a game is actually made, keep on modding and dont stop, great things await!

It really does help you ^^
I learned C++ and vbscript very easily because I know vJass ;D

Level 5
Did you study as well? Or everything through modding and learning by yourself?

I took up a tech degree in Graphics communications, learned the ins and outs of advertising, product development, printing and print design, etc.

But as far as game development goes, I'm self taught, through wc3/sc2 modding, visual basic, then c# and the xna/.net frameworks. Now learning javscript, actionscript3, and I currently use the Unity game engine for development. My cousin in law is a full sail graduate, where I'll also be furthering my education this year, he's been helping me with advanced codng for the past year and handles all of our studios flash development.

I'm happy to answer any more questions, :)

Level 34
Thanks for the post, its great to hear that this site isn't just wasting peoples time, and it actually birthed a career for someone! I'll be sure to follow the development of the TD.

Level 5
So nice to see someone who had been here just as long as me. >_<

Wow, nice to see that you're starting on a career. I hope the best for you. Ooooh, I see. You need pledges. Hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.