• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

.tga to .blp Everything not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey guys , im trying to get to convert my .tga pictures to .blp

I normally use infranview to do it , but i downloaded gimp and added an alpha channel to my picture but wc3 image extractor and wc3 viewer both arnt working. Subscript out of range and with wc3 viewer , i just get a 0kb .blp

I used to make maps and do all this but somehow its not working now when i just decided to make a map for fun.

I hope you guys can help.

Btw im on windows 7, if thats any issue with the programs

On a side note , i have attached the picture i want to convert. I think i saw somewhere that said infran view did not support 32bit tga ...but now i rmb i did icons and stuff with infran view.

Would be nice to help me convert it , but id prefer to have a solution so i can do all my work

Also , is the only way for a loading screen to be done is by using .blp files?

Thx :D

Attachments

• oilwell.tga
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
Hm. It converts fine for me. it may be that you could be possibly saving it wrong, or something else happened with the program you are using to make it. but if you continually have that problem without those logical causes try blp Lab. Just open the tga up on blp lab and save it as blp. it should work just fine.

and i belive a loading screen can be done with tga. but i think its best to use blp. as tga can cause a few problems.
Hope this helps

~Dentothor

Level 3
Hm. It converts fine for me. it may be that you could be possibly saving it wrong, or something else happened with the program you are using to make it. but if you continually have that problem without those logical causes try blp Lab. Just open the tga up on blp lab and save it as blp. it should work just fine.

and i belive a loading screen can be done with tga. but i think its best to use blp. as tga can cause a few problems.
Hope this helps

~Dentothor

Ahhh thx i tried it out , it works ! Thanks alot dude !!

Errr for alpha channel , which option should I choose? add opaque layer?
What do you normally use when u save?

Ok , its converting the file , but now my loading screen crashes the map lol
Im uing 800 by 600 but the blp lab said it cannot be used as a loading screen.
I think this can be ignored though... i think its more of the format.
So yeah how do you save it. BLP1 or BLP2 and what options.

thx

Level 3
You know what??? It was actually the size of the picture ... has to be 512 x 512 , i read the instructions wrongly..... long time since i made a map , so much for the loading screen.

Anyway yeah , infranview doesnt add/handle alpha channels

BLP lab works fine. I assume wc3 image converter would work fine too.

Thanks anyways guys !!

------SOLVED--------

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
.blps need to be powers of 2 or was it multiples of 64.

Remember that they support 3 general compressions sorts.
Uncompressed
Palleted compression
Jpeg compression

Also they contain mipmap information which has to be generated. A mipmap is a reduced scale image within the image used by the bilinear filtering process to improve image quality of far away textures. Mipmaps increase the file size by 33% approximatly over normal iamges.

Status
Not open for further replies.