• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texturing Contest #20 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

the%20hive%20workshop.png

texturing.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
0.png

results.png

Custom Models

[rainbow]FANCY IMAGE[/rainbow]

contest%20judging.png

Although this wasn't a very good model to work with, you really came out and pulled it together nicely. As only you would :) Shading is well done,the concept is brilliant, matches the model, and is pretty lovely put together.I kinda dislike the blue fingertips however. To me it unbalances the colour scheme a bit. But as far as i can see thats the only real flaw :p Good work as always Dio.

Shading and Highlights: 4/6
Concept and Creativity: 6/8
In-Game Detail and Functionality: 4/6

Total: 14/20

Theres not much i can say about this other than it needs a little bit more work than you have actually put in. It may have been a complicated model to work with, but the overall feel of it just feels far too cartoony, and unrealistically shaded.The clothes in game have minimal shading and im finding it hard to think of the clothing as anything but a block of solid colour (aside from the camoflauge dots). There isnt much differentiation from each of the different types of clothing. they all just seem to have the same texture, and thats the main thing you really need to fix. And those eyes... double pupil? or reflection. you might wanna work on that. All in all though, good work.

Shading and Highlights: 3/6
Concept and Creativity: 4/8

Total: 11/20

NOW THIS! THIS is what kind of skin ive been dying to see from you, youve sat just hiding your true skill from us :p Excellent shading, Awesome detail, and although the creativity might be lacking, this is still such an epic skin. VERY well done :) i have nothing to say other than to work around a bit with your chains. theyre ending up a bit blurry in-game sop try to define them out a bit more. especially on the head :p

Shading and Highlights: 5/6
Concept and Creativity: 5/8
In-Game Detail and Functionality: 5/6

Total: 15/20

Sexy as always :p no matter what it is, ill always find some sort of red and black on your skins. quit being so demonic! :) In all seriousness now, excellent shading excellent detail as always, your shading is wonderfully defined in game, and the details still shine through. Not much else to say! although i dont think that grey ass cape thing isnt all that fitting. some gold lining or symbols and things would have been more fitting to the colour scheme. But nice work! :)

Shading and Highlights: 5/6
Concept and Creativity: 6/8

Total: 15/20

Sweet! i always loved this game :p I love the creativity in this, using a pot isnt the first thing people would do and its certainly a little difficult to come up with something from that :p so its pretty awesome :p shading is fantastic, but it lacks in a bit of detail. although there isnt any place for detail, i still think some more minimal detail could have been put in. However, the detail that is there is fantastic. No doubt. isnt quite fitting to general wc3 but it could be usefull for specialty maps :p well done! :)

Shading and Highlights: 6/6
Concept and Creativity: 5/8
In-Game Detail and Functionality: 3/6

Total: 14/20

Shading: All the shading is in rather appropriate places, though the brushwork for it is a little rough, giving the skin more of an inorganic feel. The metallic and leather portions are done convincingly well to, though overall the shading and highlights could use a little more refinement throughout.
Concept: Not much is different concept wise here, It's still a scantily clad woman with feathery wings. Don't get me wrong, the wings are probably my favorite part of the texture, but concept-wise you could have gone for bat or bug wings here as well for something a little more unique. The outfit is rather similar as well, even her torso bears a striking resemblance to the original skin save for a lame of metal stretching across her ribcage. Overall this seems more like an improved or alternate version of the original than anything all that creative.
Details: Pretty good detail work here, the only way I really see improving the detail is with more work on shading. The blue claws seem a little off though, like they were intended to be some other color but were left unfinished. If you were going for some sort of crystal/psi blade effect it didn't really work (from personal experience I think model edits are really the only route for that). Something about the face (more specifically the eyes) seems a little off. Not that I couldn't image someones face looking like that, it is rather unique.
--------------------
21/30 Shading
20/40 Concept
24/30 Detail
65/100 Total

Shading: Overall their isn't much to shade on this, but for covering large surfaces the shading has been handled rather well. It would be that much more awesome if there was a bit of shading under and around the legs and arms, and under the lid.
Concept: Definitely different from the original (wish you would have at least mentioned Pyramidh@ed somewhere in the contest thread you don't need ninja-spotting skills to catch though, I mean seriously now, take some pride in using his model). Saying it has a different look and feel from the original is sort of saying something considering the overall look of the model itself.
Details: Not much detail work here, most of this is pretty smooth, solid surfaces defined more with shading than anything else. The wires on the leg-bits were handled pretty well, but the red-eye things, not so much. the shading on them sort of falls apart from further angles, and they could stand to be simpler. That aside, everything else was well done enough to get the point across, though the overall simplicity of this sort of left out a wow-factor with the details as well.
--------------------
24/30 Shading
30/40 Concept
20/30 Detail
74/100 Total

Shading: Shading was relatively well done as far as defining details, but there seems to be a lack of a global light source hitting this . The face under the helmet could use some shading at least. All the places with solid shading seem to be unchanged portions of the original skin as well, and since it's not really your work in that case...
Concept: Changing the uniform to a more camouflage feel seems cool, but beyond that this seems to be almost an identical skin - the face and boots actually look completely unchanged, and the pockets, creases, and overall vast majority of the detail work seem to be there on the original as well, which isn't really original in that sense. One of the few changes that is, the face-mask, doesn't seem to work terribly well with the model, what with the mouth opening and closing in the portrait.
Details: Probably the part were you were most creative with, the detail work seems to be the only major modifications. The camouflage looks relatively convincing, the star on the belt is kind of cool, the rougher detail on the grenades in sort of spiffy to. You should have extended the mask all the way around the back of the neck to though, and considering a lot of other cool details were carry-overs from the original skin.
--------------------
9/30 Shading
8/40 Concept
15/30 Detail
32/100 Total

Shading: Overall the shading seems pretty well done, at least to convey the detail work. The metal was shaded to look convincingly metallic, the skin, hair, and leather look pretty great to. Some of the green bits on the shoulders and chest look androgynous cloth or metallic, so that's somewhat of an issue. The shading seems a little inconsistent in places to, with the edges of the shoulder-pads being about as dark as the armor hidden under the. The coif gets progressively darker the further in the back of the head it gets to, which is a little odd.
Concept: It doesn't deviate to much in the overall texture (I mean, i could see both the original and new skin filling exactly the same roll), but all the unique armor bits were handled really well, and even with having to fallow the shape of the model the armor looks completely different. Adding a coif were there was hair is handled phenomenally well in this.
Details: Overall, the detail work in this is incredibly well done. It gets a little pixilated here and there but even with that the work is rather high-quality. The face is pretty amazing from far away (though his lips seem a little out of place). The only thing that seems a little lackluster in detail work is the hammer, which has a pretty monochromatic head with the details sort of fuzzing together.
--------------------
23/30 Shading
33/40 Concept
28/30 Detail
84/100 Total

Shading: Overall shading is done rather well throughout this skin. Under the jaw line on the side of the head could use a little bit of shading though, and I'd personally go for a lot more contract with the golden trim, but it still works as is. The shading on the weapons is a bit of a different story, as they seem largely unshaded.
Concept: The new look and alterations were done rather well, just about everything looks different from the original skin. The chains add for a cool feel, the face markings work rather well, and the red color scheme is done rather well (as well as playing into the red/blue demon thing wc3 has going on). Overall a solid amount of originality here considering the base texture to work with.
Details: Overall the detail work is pretty solid, what with the chains and even scratches on the armor. Most of the detail work that looks a little lacking is below the waist (at least without animations). The folds on the red skirt could use a little more work, and the weapons seem a little off in general, they just don't seem to be sharp were it counts (which has a bit to do with shading as well).
--------------------
22/30 Shading
32/40 Concept
22/30 Detail
76/100 Total

(Votes / Total Votes) * .25) + ((Dentothor + 67chrome)/2) * .75 = Final Score (cut to two decimals)

Dionesiist (12 / 117) * .25) + ((70 + 65)/2) * .75 = 50.650641
Kazzo (2 / 117) * .25) + ((55 + 32)/2) * .75 = 32.6292735
M0rbid (53 / 117) * .25) + ((75 + 84)/2) * .75 = 59.7382479
shiiK (39 / 117) * .25) + ((75 + 76)/2) * .75 = 56.7083333
ike_ike (11 / 117) * .25) + ((70 + 74)/2) * .75 = 54.0235043

1st - M0rbid
2nd - shiiK
3rd - ike_ike
4th - Dionesiist
5th - Kazzo

107671d1319999278-texturing-contest-20-custom-models-results-arenawinners.png

Contest | Poll

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Congratulations, M0rbid! You deserved this one.

Oh, and what a surprise that ike_ike managed to achieve exactly what he set out to do: claim third. I admittedly feel really sorry for Dionesiist.

Level 23
I am really really happy to actually win this. There were very good entries in this contest and therefor it's not only an honour, but also I think it's necessary to congratulate you all for this outcome! Even though we had few entries, those entries looked very well to me.
Good job everyone. Also heads off for shiiK for hosting and chrome and Dent for judging.
Thank you, I am off.

Status
Not open for further replies.