• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, well I convert a texture .blp into .bmp. I changed the skin then converts into .blp. When I use WC3 model editor and that I apply the texture to the model, all that is black on the picture .bmp appears on the model. While it should not appear. Does anyone has an explanation and a solution to the problem ?
PS. Sorry for the English. I'm French.

Last edited:
It is most likely an alpha channel issue (normally the black portions are alpha'd out). When you converted it to a BMP or back to a BLP, it probably lost its alpha channel. You should post the model and the BLP file so that someone can fix it.

For future reference, I usually use BLP Lab to handle conversions since it preserves alpha channels or will add one if it is missing. I normally convert BLP to TGA and then back to BLP after I've made my edits. BMP is a little sketchy when it comes to alpha channels. It supports it, but I haven't seen many converters that actually preserve/add it. 32-bit TGA files have 24 bits RBG and 8 bit alpha channel, and most image editing software should be able to maintain it.

Level 5
Thank you very much PurgeandFire.
Indeed, it is a problem of alpha channel. When I open the original texture.bmp (extracted from WC3 Viewer) in BLP Lab, the alpha channel is here. While when I open my changed texture.bmp, there is no alpha channel. I think this is my image editor (PAINT :(, because I haven't got an other image editor and because I don't know what use this one) that removes the channel. Should we change the image software to make it work ?

Last edited:
Yes, you should use a different image software. Use .TGA format and then open it in GIMP:
http://www.gimp.org/
It is a great free image-editing software. If you save it as TGA, choose 32-bit (if it gives you an option, if it doesn't then it doesn't matter).

The nice thing about GIMP is that it also has quick color manipulation features--editing hue & saturation/brightness & contrast, similar to Photoshop. Of course, you wouldn't use that for skin submissions, but it is pretty useful for mapping or if you want to change the color of an icon to fit your spell, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.