• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Texture Animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey,

Just finishing up a model and I wanted to animate the skin to enhance the eyes blinking on her. All I thought I had to do was move the points over the image in the Unwrap UVW editor to animate. The texture animates fine in the 3dS MAX viewport but does not animate in the Warcraft Previewer. Is there some trick to this?

Thanks for your help.

Level 5
To animate your model you must use bones and skin option in the object menu, if you've added the bones you need only to make a small flat eyelid and add a bone to make them blink.

Level 2
Hi Pike.
So, in other words, I can't animate using the UVW editor, I have to add more geometry. I was hoping to avoid that. I was considering that the best way to animate with geometry, if I absolutely had to, is to use an on/off visibility controller on duplicates of the faces I want to animate...I think that would work pretty smooth. Thanks for replying though, dude. That at least got me thinking along the right track. I appreciate that.

Cheers.

Level 5
Warcraft counts only mesh polygons. Bones, paritcles, ribbons and such are giving a better look to the model.

Also the Warcraft models have bigger size cause of the animations not number of polys and verticles.

Level 2
I didn't know that.
But see the eye I have to blink is bigger than the average warcraft unit eye. It covers many polygons so I had to create a mesh and a visibility toggle to blink it.
No worries though, works great.
Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.