• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Animating a Texture (like blinking eyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
How do you animate a texture like blinking eyes on a model?

Specifically, I have a model that I convert in Blender from an SMD to a MDL. I add the regular animations and textures and tags. It looks okay. But how do I animate something consistently looping like flickering fire or blinking eyes? I have the textures ready for the animation. (It's just 3 different 'states', if that makes sense.)

Level 21
I'm not entirely sure, but maybe you can check out how the Murloc models work. Their eyes blink occasionally, even when they're dead.
Murloc models have meshes that are textured to look like eyelids; they pop in and out of the head to simulate blinking. The movement is animated with a global sequence; that's why they blink during all animations, even when they're dead. This could have been avoided by animating the translation of the eyelids in each animation individually instead of using a global sequence, or by separating the eyelids into a different geoset and hiding it with a geoset animation when the unit is supposed to be dead.

@TastyBamboo, I don't think there are any standard models that use animated textures for blinking, but it should be possible to do it with texture animations or animated texture ID of the material layer, depending on whether the three different phases of blinking eyes are all on the same texture or on three separate textures.

Status
Not open for further replies.