• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Test Map and W3 path bugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Hello all,

Today I wanted to try some stuff in World Editor but when I pressed test map button a window popped.

Somehow it stop working. At first it said:

"Can't find the C:\Program Files(x86)\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe".
Open the Preferences tab and change it.
"

I went to Archives > Preferences but on those tabs I couldn't find something path-related. So I went to the folder and rename the "war3.exe" to "Warcraft III.exe".

Now another window pops (when I press test map)

"An error has ocurred executing the file C:\Program Files(x86)\Warcraft III\Warcraft III.exe"

... and the editor won't open Warcraft 3. After I clicked "OK" nothing happens. Just won't launch.

Anyone had this issue before?

Worth mentioning I had no issues before with the current patch version (1.30). The last thing I downloaded W3-related was the UTM v4.0. Was that the cause of the bug here?

Notes:
*I have the W3 in spanish so the 'message' may not be 100% accurate.
*I read another thread saying the screen went black when they test map but this isnt the case, this won't launch w3 at all.

Update:
Reinstaling the game does not fix the issue.
Solved. Scroll down to read how I did it.

Last edited:
Level 16
Since 1.29, I can no longer launch war3.exe neither. However, since, there is "Warcraft III.exe" available.
They are two differents files, so renaming is not necessary.
Moreover, since patchs, my files are located somewhere else, in Documents instead of Program Files in C:
Try to find if you have a folder there.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I suggest repairing your installation using the online installer. It is possible that one or more files are missing or corrupt for some reason or another.

There should be a Warcraft III.exe in your install folder and it should be around 20MB.
There should not be a war3.exe in your install folder. This file no longer exists.

It is possible there is a bug with the Spanish localization. To rule this out try installing the English version and seeing if it is fixed. If this is the case please report it to Blizzard so they can get it fixed in coming patches.

Level 10
Thank you both for taking your time and help me out. My World Edit problem had been solved.

After reading @Tuwnew post I realized I had two separate folders for Warcraft III, one in C:\ and other on My Documents. For some reason everything was working fine untill today.

The solution was to move the C:\ folder onto the My Documents folder and now it seems it's working again, somehow the Warcraft III folder was split in two but still worked. I mean, I knew I had two but it was working fine so I didn't bother at that time, but oh well.

Even tho, I'm still missing the "Movies" folder (can't seem to find it in either of them). Which I had it for previous patches since I was playing "Curse of the Forsaken" and now the CGI cinematics won't show, but I guess that's another bug (already adressed on Blizzard forums btw).

Again, thank you both.

Hope this helps anyone in the future.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You should not be installing Warcraft III into your documents folder. Windows program installation system does not really support that...

Your documents folder should contain Warcraft III user data such as caches, saves, screenshots and downloaded maps. The program files folder should contain immutable data such as the CASC archive and executables.

Level 10
You should not be installing Warcraft III into your documents folder. Windows program installation system does not really support that...

Your documents folder should contain Warcraft III user data such as caches, saves, screenshots and downloaded maps. The program files folder should contain immutable data such as the CASC archive and executables.

The game itself is installed on "C:\Program Files(x86)\Warcraft III". I only copied+pasted the things from C:\ to My Doc, so I understand the game is still installed on C:\

Should I put the My Documents stuff onto C:\?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The game itself is installed on "C:\Program Files(x86)\Warcraft III". I only copied+pasted the things from C:\ to My Doc, so I understand the game is still installed on C:\

Should I put the My Documents stuff onto C:\?
They should both be separate. Try moving both to a temporary folder (so you can restore them and no data loss) and then installing the game cleanly with the downloader.

In the end the documents folder should not contain any program files or the casc archive. The program files folder should only contain the casc archive, program files and the standard Blizzard maps. There should be no war3.exe and there should be a Warcraft III.exe

It is entirely possible something is broken with the Spanish localization. Apparently each locale is/was its own build which is why this sort of thing is possible. Only the English build is heavily tested (due to developers being English) which is why these issues occasionally leak out.

Level 10
They should both be separate. Try moving both to a temporary folder (so you can restore them and no data loss) and then installing the game cleanly with the downloader.

In the end the documents folder should not contain any program files or the casc archive. The program files folder should only contain the casc archive, program files and the standard Blizzard maps. There should be no war3.exe and there should be a Warcraft III.exe

It is entirely possible something is broken with the Spanish localization. Apparently each locale is/was its own build which is why this sort of thing is possible.

This is getting too much complicated lol.

Ok, I understand. I will do that. The war3.exe was the first thing I reverted to Warcraft III, so there's that. If I have any inconvinience in the future I guess I'll just install the english one.

Thanks Dr, you are Super Good.

Only the English build is heavily tested (due to developers being English) which is why these issues occasionally leak out.

I see, thanks. Btw, what would the "casc archives" be?

I have several exe. I haven't seen before, like "SistemSurvey" "ClientSdkMDNSHost" "ClientSdkFirewallHelper" ".build" "JassHelper"(FOlder). Those are 'casc'?

Isnt it unnecesary having two seprate folders instead of one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.