• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrible Frontpage performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
I mean, what is with all the huge, lossless png images and gifs in the news articles?
The site is totally unresponsive and takes forever to load. Also I can not login because the login box only loads after the site has loaded.
The google page scores are quite terrible.
Mobile:
YgteCkx.png

Desktop:
LnTWGxQ.png

The desktop site is 100+ MB of which 80% are off screen images?!
If you don't want to implement some async loading, how about using proper compression on the media like webp/webm?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
People should learn to first optimize any image they intend to upload, with software such as IrfanView for example.

As for animated GIFs, I am still advocating for serving APNG or lossy WebP versions of them instead, to the web browsers which support any of them. Even though they will most probably require more memory than their animated GIF equivalent, such modern file formats have a much smaller file size, and therefore they download faster. That way, the page loading would be less heavy for the end user.

APNG - Wikipedia
WebP - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Hello. To help alleviate loading time, I will do the following from now:
  • Limit the amount of GIFs to around half the level seen in the most recent spotlight
  • Compress the GIFs, saving at least 25% space
  • Start using WEBP instead of PNG, saving up to 90% space
Thank you.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.