• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Terraining Help [Ideas]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I'm currently working on a little project for myself. There's no planned release or end goal.

The map is heavily inspired by the first undead mission in Reign of Chaos where Arthas has to infiltrate a human settlement/village and avoid the guards. But instead of a death knight fighting his way through with minions, the main character is a Hero banshee with invisibility.

It's a massive map and it'll be her job to find a way inside the capital city and bring it down from the inside with the help of the Undead Scourge minions already in the area.

After a few missions for the Scourge, she'll gain access to an ability that'll let her possess a specific human Hero (and eventually others), effectively replacing the playable character until the plot demands otherwise. The possessed heroes are basically just shells to let you inside certain areas posing as allies.

I've borrowed the idea of resurrection stones from the Orc Campaign in the Frozen Throne but modified it a bit for it to fit the theme of the Scourge. Instead it's a undead-ish well that'll bring her back to undeath should she die along her journey.
igpE82r.png

While I'm able to think up a lot of different missions and scenarios to put the main hero through, you can never have enough ideas. As I said, the map is HUGE so if you have a suggestions with a specific area in mind don't hesitate to share.

Below are some images of the areas I've created so far, but not yet finished. Suggestions on how I can fill them up to look more interesting are welcome.

Teleportation hub: here you'll be able to fast travel to certain areas of the map once you've unlocked them. Looks very bare at the moment.
GJNiluB.png

Main area of the city where the'll be a market. The gate at the bottom will be one of 2-3 entrances to the capital city.
bvAjwgC.png

A section of the city where citizens have gathered to marvel at a boisterous adventurer.
2XJcXFd.png

A small island within the capital city where a group of mages are trying to gather up enough energy to wipe out the rising threat of the Undead Scourge in the surrounding area. Possessing as his apprentice, you'll gain access to the area and trap the leader of the group in a soul gem. Haven't thought farther ahead than that with this idea.
c40puxR.png

A deranged aeromancer has managed to trap one of the elemental lords within herself. This will be a boss battle of some sort. I tried my hand at texturing to fit the floating rocks of Outland to the Village Fall setting I have in my map.
KQBwYPB.png

TL;DR: Any and all ideas for my map are welcome!

Level 13
Personally, I think the city would look less - square? - if you use more dirt or grassy dirt tiles, and perhaps mix up the white brick with something like cobble path. It'd look more rustic than an entirely paved over brick city.
Maybe add some plant life and a park.
I also recommend looking at some of the assets in The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (v3.0, NOT v4.0. Too big, too much to look through) for things like furniture, clothes lines, fishing racks, etc. to add more flavor to the city layout.

It could definitely use some piers and docks on the waters' edge. There are some variations for that in the base WC3 doodads (not sure if it's under water or structures, I reorganized my doodad pallets for map making to more logical categories and without limits)

Level 9
Holy hell, how have I never seen that before? That'll definitely help make the city look more busy and lived in. Thanks a lot for showing me that.

I'll definitely try and mix up the tileset some more and see if I can get some good results. Adding a park and city harbor is a great idea. I'll post some more screenshots as I've made some progress.

Level 9
I've managed to make some progress with the capital city, in big part thanks to @Wark.

I'm still looking for ideas regarding terraining/areas, quests, puzzles. Only thing to keep in mind is that this will be a single hero map. Otherwise anything goes.

Level 13
Well, we can't tell your story for you. You gotta do that yourself. Make a world, m8! Make the lore, plot out the characters, make a villain - or anti-hero? Oppressive government? Take the side of evil?
We can help you with puzzles and quests once that all gets in place.
If anything, you could do the standard Mario World theme: grasslands, desert, jungle, ice world, lava world, boss

Status
Not open for further replies.