• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #16: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Considering the delay between TC#14 and TC#15 and the fact that terraining has picked up [some] speed recently I guess we should get theme discussion underway right now so we don't need to wait forever between contests. Try not to suggest themes we've already had (or themes that are crazy similar to ones we've already had).

Just so that theme suggestions aren't repeated:
Previous Terrain Contests:
#1 - Gloomy
#2 - Mountains
#3 - Four Seasons
#4 - Construction
#5 - Winter Wonderland /Playable
#6 - Ancient Mythology
#7 - Small World
#8 - Steam Punk
#9 - Cataclysm
#10 - Surrealism /Playable
#11 - Battlefields
#12 - Horror/Nightmare
#13 - Fictional World Wonder
#14 - Racial Settlement
#15 - Feelings/emotion

Suggested Themes:

- Destiny
- Scifi/futuristic
- Western
- Elemental
- Happy happy (bright colors, pansy fairies, you name it)
- Re-terraining (pick a terrain here on the hive that is not yours and remake it with your own touch)
- Light and Dark (double terrain; one showing light one dark)
- Uncharted land (terrain that has no sign of having ever been touched by people, basically a nature terrain in its purest form)
- Humour (conceptual lulz)
- Fairy tale (depict a scene from a classic fable/fairytale)
- Hermit (a house, tent, shack, whatever, isolated from the rest of the world)
- City (fully playable)

post-25067-And-Here-We-Go-Joker-gif-Imgur-x71M.gif

Sidenote: Also would you like the theme to be decided by a poll or popular opinion? The thing we discussed in prior contests is that a poll is too easily accessible for people who
  • don't know what themes are appropriate for a terraining contest
  • have no intention of entering the contest
  • are completely retarded in general
Discuss.

Last edited:
Level 14
"Destiny"

Boom!

And in the event that this seems vague or lacking descriptiveness, let me give a few examples.
- Ship sailing off into the sunset. Sailors are following their destiny; what they believe to be their sole purpose in life, in short, their calling, their destiny.
- Knight slaying the dragon. He is fulfilling his duty to society. He is pursuing the destiny that has been given to him.
- The human race reaching extinction. This one is less about purpose and more about inevitability, but the principle is the same and should be pretty clear.

Sure, it's all pretty vague, but that's the point of interpretation, isn't it? And I'm interested to see how people express these kind of ambiguous themes.

Last edited:
Level 15
Just so that theme suggestions aren't repeated:
Previous Terrain Contests:
#1 - Gloomy
#2 - Mountains
#3 - Four Seasons
#4 - Construction
#5 - Winter Wonderland /Playable
#6 - Ancient Mythology
#7 - Small World
#8 - Steam Punk
#9 - Cataclysm
#10 - Surrealism /Playable
#11 - Battlefields
#12 - Horror/Nightmare
#13 - Fictional World Wonder
#14 - Racial Settlement
#15 - Feelings/emotion

A few to add to the list of suggestions:
-Another playable?
-Co-terrain
-Scifi/futuristic
-Western
-Elemental

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Inverted? Something that takes a concept and fundamentally changes it in some manor?

Level 35
"Destiny"

I really like the idea of going abstract, but the former theme was in it's own way rather
abstract too. We could go simpler, or just more-to-the-pointer this round' about.

Co-Terrain would've been amazing, though I think we're currently too few actively
contesting terrainers to pull off a decent amount of entries with such a theme.

- For future reference, though, if we're doing Co-Terrain for a contest, what about a twist in regard that we make it random?
Basically, we publish the contest and people "apply" to be part of it, then we make a list and randomly pare together terrainers.
It'd make for interesting variation, and it'd make it so that whoever wants to enter the contest doesn't have to worry about
not getting to enter if they can't find someone to pare-up with.

Looking at the list, playable does seem right if we're looking at the order of things.
Playable terrains often require a hell of a lot more work, though, and I'm again not sure
we've got enough terrainer-power to cover the grounds required for such a theme, sadly.

What about... Cheerful, or Bright, or Vivacious, whichever word is most fitting as a contest title. Basically to
contrast the first theme ever for a terraining contest (Gloomy) and to counter the general darkness
that seems to occupy terrainers of late, rather to force us to make something bright, pink and gay.
- Happy time!

2-P

2-P

Level 8
The problem I see with abstract themes is that you can do pretty much whatever becuase you can interpret it in a way so that it fits to the theme. Even though they were legitimate, half of the entries from the last contest had like a 1/10 on a cleverness scale in relation to the theme.

Level 14
if we're doing Co-Terrain for a contest, what about a twist in regard that we make it random?
Basically, we publish the contest and people "apply" to be part of it, then we make a list and randomly pare together terrainers.
It'd make for interesting variation, and it'd make it so that whoever wants to enter the contest doesn't have to worry about
Yes.
What about... Cheerful, or Bright, or Vivacious, whichever word is most fitting as a contest title. Basically to
contrast the first theme ever for a terraining contest (Gloomy) and to counter the general darkness
that seems to occupy terrainers of late, rather to force us to make something bright, pink and gay.
- Happy time!
And yes.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
The problem I see with abstract themes is that you can do pretty much whatever becuase you can interpret it in a way so that it fits to the theme. Even though they were legitimate, half of the entries from the last contest had like a 1/10 on a cleverness scale in relation to the theme.
Actually, this. With well defined themes we provide oldfags with a challenge and newbies with new horizons to explore. And it's not like it cramps your style to no end (not more than a contest is supposed to anyways).

Also it is nice to be able to have some basis for judging criteria e.g. an orc and his pet goldfish swimming in the ocean is clearly not steampunk. Unless it's an orc gizmologist with his copper-coated buzzsaw fish with brass goggles and a khacki vest being attacked by robot snakes etc, yadda yadda you get the drift.

- Happy time!
Could work.

Level 15
Not saying that these are all good ideas. Just trying to get the creative juices flowing.

Re-terraining - Pick a terrain here on the hive that is not yours, take the essence of that terrain, and remake it with your own touch
Light and Dark - Double terrain, one showing light one dark...obviously
Uncharted land - A terrain that has no sign of having ever been touched by people, basically a nature terrain in its purist form
Humour - Haha...you know...humour. It's late so everything is funny to me at the moment
Fairy tale - Pick a fairytale, give it a unique take on the landscape
Hermit - Show a house, tent, shack, whatever, isolated from the rest of the world.

City - Playable

Level 34
As a huge fan of LotR, and being that Wc3 fits in so well, what about Middle Earth?

I've also been thinking that having a small contest on recreating an actual landscape could be fun. What if
A) There is one chosen photo that everyone has to recreate? Possibility of adding one element (what that means idk, I don't like the idea anyways)
B) There are multiple photos to choose from
C) People pick their own photo.
D) Participants must sign up by _ and will receive a photo. Photo from a hat if you will.

Level 21
hello there
thought i might drop in

first off seeing as i am gilles's largest fan i support his excellent ideas because a. LotR is the shit b. landscapes are cool. i'll even upload a few of my photos to show the excellence that this could be/just get the imagination running for other shit
also + to playable city, that'd be pretty cool too.

other than that:
[Epic] Landscape - surprisingly hasn't been a theme, i guess it might be shaving it a bit close to other themes and lacking in imagination. but really, feelings/emotions? dropped the ball there a bit
Cathedrals/Castles - quite specific, somewhat similar to construction, but also noone did either of these I think. it's a kinda cool thing, cathedrals are badass let's be honest
Historic Events - recreate something cool from history e.g. battle of waterloo or one of those Napoleonic paintings, this would be somewhat crappy since wc3 units just stand around and shit though
The Human Mind - show us how you think the human mind "works" in a graphic representation. i'll be honest, it's a mildly retarded theme and abstract as shit

well this has been fun!

Attachments

• DSC08133.jpg
    DSC08133.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC07679.jpg
    DSC07679.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 8x12.jpg
    8x12.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 126
Level 34
I like the historical events. We could include fiction as well. It simply has to be a recreation of an event in history or fiction.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I second Historical Events. <3

Although I would also really like to see Confined Environment as a theme. I think Azurot suggested it at some point. Basically a shift from the classic terraining approach, i.e. not open plane/landscape and broad horizons.

Level 21
also i think it would be a good idea to have a clause of the event having to be a) an actual physical/visible event and b) being in a humanoid (or the human) race's past/memory/lifespan since otherwise there is a lot of wriggle room for "the first cell" / "the birth of the earth!" / "when humans got souls"

Level 11
Ideas:
1. Desolation: not same as gloomy. Can depict a neutral or simply detached emotion. Can also be done with closed spaces.
2. Post apocalyptic: can be sci-fi or fantasy. In other words need not be Fallout or Mad Max styled. eg: Medieval apocalyptic

Level 35
Somehow Medieval Post-Apocalyptic has a very nice ring to it.
- Probably mostly because it's very similar to Cataclysm. >.>

I'm not entirely sure I follow your exact meaning with Desolation
Knight. And I'm not sure about Sci-Fi, yeah we've gotten some
good sci-fi doodads with that Sc2 conversion pack, but not nearly
enough, I'd say, to merit a new theme.

Though, it could be good for variation's sake, not to mention the
challenge in making a sci-fi terrain look good.

I still stand by my Smiley theme, or Happy theme, with a randomly
pared cooperation twist, regardless.

Level 35
It's only that the happy theme is a subtheme to emotions, i.e. a subcontest to the last one.

My first picks would probably be historical events or humour.

How does "humour" not fall into the same category as "happy"? >.>
- Being a sub-theme for the former contest.

And I still detest the historical events idea, but hey, if that's what people
want.

Level 11
Somehow Medieval Post-Apocalyptic has a very nice ring to it.
- Probably mostly because it's very similar to Cataclysm. >.>

Lets think out of the WoW sand box for a change.

I'm not entirely sure I follow your exact meaning with Desolation
Knight.
Agreed totally Desolation as a theme is pretty vague but so is any other emotion because different folks have different interpretations. What I meant by desolation is a feeling of being lost in a vast-vast space\area. Like a lone tree on a top of a cliff in the middle of a desert or something on these lines.
Totally vague I know.

And I'm not sure about Sci-Fi, yeah we've gotten some
good sci-fi doodads with that Sc2 conversion pack, but not nearly
enough, I'd say, to merit a new theme.

Though, it could be good for variation's sake, not to mention the
challenge in making a sci-fi terrain look good.

I have to admit that is a problem I never thought about. We have to work with only sanctioned doodads, am I right?
But then I have seen people make giant robots and stuff by joining many doodads.

I still stand by my Smiley theme, or Happy theme, with a randomly
pared cooperation twist, regardless.
'randomly pared cooperation twist'. Sorry didn't catch you there.

Level 35
Lets think out of the WoW sand box for a change.

I don't know that I wasn't, and furthermore, I don't know if we didn't
during the contest. The "Cataclysm" had nothing to do with WoW,
albeit the theme idea came from there, but the execution of the idea
was to make a terrain of some sort of natural location, and then change
it, in form of a "cataclysm" having taken place - Cataclysm is a word,
not just the title of a WoW expansion, you know :)

Agreed totally Desolation as a theme is pretty vague but so is any other emotion because different folks have different interpretations. What I meant by desolation is a feeling of being lost in a vast-vast space\area. Like a lone tree on a top of a cliff in the middle of a desert or something on these lines.
Totally vague I know.

Totally, totally vague.
- I like it.
'randomly pared cooperation twist'. Sorry didn't catch you there.

As a response to that, I'll quote my first post in this thread:

- For future reference, though, if we're doing Co-Terrain for a contest, what about a twist in regard that we make it random?

Anyway, when I wrap up the mini-contest over at the Terraining Board, I'll
dish out a poll with all the suggestions we've hoarded thus far, or more, if
anyone's got any more brilliant ideas. Suffice to say, though, it's probably
going to be a little while.

Last edited:

I fully support "Desolation".
So, will Desolation remain or what?
Pointing that out AGAIN!!!

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

I'm with fladder on this one. I'd love to do something from my favorite historical periods.

Level 35
What I said in this thread applies here too.

The exception being that in this case the next step is making a poll and battle it out for
which theme to go for. My eyes are on you fladdermasken, if they ever wasn't.

Also, I apologize to those still waiting for my judgings over at the mini-contest, as I
mentioned in the Story and Lore contest discussion I've got a pretty tight working
schedule currently. Suffice to say, it won't be too long till I spring my condescending
thoughts on you unlucky participants, stay patient my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.