• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #15: Poll

Who is your winner of Terraining Contest #15

• [URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2452534-post91.html]Twilight[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [URL=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2454822-post106.html]Shadow Fury[/URL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Sooooo, I went on holidays. Lots of fun in the snow! So no I'm not sorry, but I will get to judging soon. Soooooon.

Level 36
No sweat, the poll isn't even over yet.

I do like the inclination of feeling that you've got an obligation to do this as quickly as possible, though.
Mucho love for the dedication to the terrainers of our rather diminished community! <3

Viva'la Terrain (Board) :D

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
No sweat, the poll isn't even over yet.
About that, there hasn't been much happening in over a week. If Gilles and M0rbid finish their judging ahead of time I move we close this thing up and get the results posted early. I don't think there will be any noteworthy change in voting ratio before the 18th.

Also I decided I will let the people who voted for themselves off the hook with a warning because it's kinda dull to kill a terraining contest, where we rarely get any entries to begin with, over technicalities. Thier votes won't count though, obviously. AND REMEMBER, it's a dick move to try and get away with self-voting and you suck for doing it. FOR SHAME.

Level 16
Wow, early posted results, I can't say I'm not exited.
Yeah, it would be pointless to disqualify the guys who voted for themselves at this point. Honestly I was tented to vote for myself as well at first since this was the first time I actually participated in a terraining contest like this but then I thought that It would only be fair to vote for someone else after which I carefully read the rules. I was a tad close to vote myself so I don't blame them. I'm also surprised that all this people voted for me, some are friends (Did not invite) but most of them I don't even know so I am satisfied even If I don't win.

Edit: I was also tended to buff names randomly so I can see how a stupid accident like that can happen. I don't remember what or if I voted something, before this thread.

Yeah, it would be pointless to disqualify the guys who voted for themselves at this point. Honestly I was tented to vote for myself as well at first since this was the first time I actually participated in a terraining contest like this
Is there such a thing to vote for urself?:))) And let's hope that this won't be the last (participation of yours tobyfat50)

all imo. my judgmenet in each criteria (which ull noticed is based heavily upon whether the execution within each criteria compliments the chosen theme), followed by rankings for each entry under each criteria

creativity - fladder had a very unique terrain, however i felt it too 'offbeat' to the point it just confused me and works negatively in favour of its creativity. everyone's theme was rather simple, but this is due to there not being many (or any) 'complex' emotions. however, aside from chaos. and fladder execution felt too bland. in fact toby's was so bland i had no idea wat the heck it was supposed to be without reading a wall of text on his attaching post. and a thing i noticed too; no one took an extra length to 'meta-portray' an emotion, except chaos. what i mean is people just portrayed something associated with the emotion eg) a lone cube or a scary ghost ship, whilst forgetting that emotions are primarily human and not portraying the effect of the emotion on the individual. chaos did this with his contrived two villagers being together (showing love) PLUS the addition of the empty background, a reflection of the 'blinding' nature of love; when u feel it the rest of the world seems irrelevant/blank ('meta-showing' love).
1 - chaos
2 - fladder
3 - eh the rest are all tied

detail - all except shadowfury and twilight were decently detailed. i wud say though, that toby is the most detailed. but this imo works negatively in favor of ur theme; if ur going for peace a crapton of jagged boulders + a clutter of architecture + a dead tree in the background is not the way to go. keiji wud get the best marks for detail due to a great usage/placement of assets and a lack of OBNOXIOUS LENS FLARES that serve no purpose save obscuring details and drawing vectors away from the central interaction (chaos and fladder; toby's was actually well done so kudos to him for that)
1 - keiji
2 - all cept keiji, shadowfury, twilight
3 - shadowfury and twilight

technique - toby undoubtedly had the most unique technique, even though its kind of against the whole point of a terraining contest. it wud be much cooler if u somehow added realistic shadows without getting a program to do it for u and u re-importing the shadows. nothing else new/fancy. i liked the fog in chaos, keiji, and sigelang's terrains.
1 - toby
2 - chaos, keiji, sigelang
3 - fladder
4 - the rest

aesthetics - chaos looks the best. simplistic colour scheme and layout the compliments the theme. only thing i hate is that random lens flare, and perhaps the villagers are too dark. fladders is certainly the most intriguing, but his theme was 'loneliness' not 'wonder/uncertainty/confusion' and thus this doesnt compliment his theme. keijis is well composed too, but it just feels too 'contrived'/'artificial' and it doesnt really reflect tension so much as the mind of a 10 year old after watching curse of the black pearl. the rest were a slur of samey forests, though sigelangs did stand out more, and toby's was too chaotic (ie. anti-peace) due to the over-detail (and a bit too strong lighting) + that scary ass background.
1 - chaos
2 - fladder and keiji
3 - toby and sigelang
4 - the other forests

and with that i vote chaos because his one looks nice, is fairly well made and detailed, and its surrealist aspect heightens the portrayal of love. i type like a herpes

Level 17
Pretty much agree with GhostThruster on everything, but my vote goes to one of the underdogs, sigelang, because i like the atmosphere and it portrays Fear quite well. Plus it reminds me of one of my old terrains: Dark Valley.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Poll is closed

The poll is closed. In light of this, here is a helpful FAQ for the days to come

Q: WEHN WILL U POST TEH RESULTSZ?!!

A: When Gilles and M0rbid have finished judging all entries and I am done with compilation. In the meantime, in respect of the time and effort put in by both judges, please just sit quietly, watch seasons change and shut the fuck up. Best regards, fladdermasken.

Level 34
Mine are in. I totally beat M0rbid. I may not be able to win the contest, but I won at something! YES!

Level 17
Loads of great entries, I think tobyfat's is even good enough for the legendary terrains, however he basically modeled and reskinned it. so it was less of a terrain and more of a model. Might as well make a model import it and take a snapshot of it, and call it a terrain. Kinda defeats the point of a terraining contest.

Moreover"Imports may be used in the map, provided they can be found in the resource sections of either THW or WC3C.
Offsite imports may be used provided a link to the resource is posted with the entry."
The whole point of these rules is that you don't effectively make a model import it and take a picture, it feels like these rules suggest that all materials that you use in your map/terrain must be Publicly sourced. Since you are using unreleased content from your model pack, and your terrian specific shadow models, it is going against the grain of this contest.

oh and chaos' terrain is my fav, its perfect so atmospheric and serene :D!

Level 34
Loads of great entries, I think tobyfat's is even good enough for the legendary terrains, however he basically modeled and reskinned it. so it was less of a terrain and more of a model. Might as well make a model import it and take a snapshot of it, and call it a terrain. Kinda defeats the point of a terraining contest.
That's not fair to him or his terrain. While he certainly did make models, the amount of work (outside of the modeling) and skill that went in to make this terrain is high. To say it was "less of a terrain and more of a model" simply isn't true.

Moreover"Imports may be used in the map, provided they can be found in the resource sections of either THW or WC3C.
Offsite imports may be used provided a link to the resource is posted with the entry."
The whole point of these rules is that you don't effectively make a model import it and take a picture, it feels like these rules suggest that all materials that you use in your map/terrain must be Publicly sourced. Since you are using unreleased content from your model pack, and your terrian specific shadow models, it is going against the grain of this contest.
This is pretty much how I feel too. I thought he released the models though?

For the future the terrain community should have a discussion on more specific rules to be precise in what is and is not allowed.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Gilles submitted his judging to me already but M0rbid hasn't sent me his, is what's going on. Supposedly he is busy with his examination but that was supposed to have ended the thirteenth.

I will try and contact him and maybe start looking for a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.