• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[Terrain]Space City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
I discovered a whole new set of building types, and got inspired to make a city. I jacked up the scale of the buildings since they are so pretty, and then added about 100 banners, doors, fancy lights, fans, etc to it so it would fill up. I discovered that large cities dont convert well to games, as even with fancy camera its pretty overwhelming and time consuming for not that much effort. I'm a little disappointed with this terrain, because I put in so much effort of height/scale changes. But nevertheless I hope you guys find it at least a little interesting!

P.S. Half the city is destroyed, half is fully functional. The map is attached for if anyone wants to look at it or do anything with it. Just give me base credit if its used.

Attachments

• Screenshot006.Jpg
    Screenshot006.Jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 1,404
  • Screenshot012.Jpg
    Screenshot012.Jpg
    637.3 KB · Views: 4,602
  • Screenshot005.Jpg
    Screenshot005.Jpg
    637 KB · Views: 714
  • Screenshot009.Jpg
    Screenshot009.Jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 6,185
  • Screenshot013.Jpg
    Screenshot013.Jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 637
  • Space City4.SC2Map
    502.1 KB · Views: 143
Level 11
:) I'm glad you guys appreciate the hard work.

TheTerran, (thanks for the rep), also just a tip. I have learned through this that it would be a very good idea to map out where the buildings should go FIRST before packing them with doodads and such. In mine, I changed ALOT of height on various doodads so they all just weren't on the ground, and scaled them up a bit to make them bigger (everything there is scaled up). This can be a pain though, especially if you want to move the building (bad idea). When you copy/paste a doodad with different height, it resets back to 0, so you gotta find the right height again.

For practical gameplay, I wouldn't scale a building nearly as big as they are in mine. As I realized towards the end it would be nearly impossible to make a quality game out of this, despite 2 full days working on a small section of terrain.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

This reminds me of the city in Lelouch The Rebellion. How about you make like a monorail connection between the two parts of the city?

I really don't like those buildings, no windows.

this must be a sweatshop industrial city. xD

i don't get the half good half destroyed too, is it two seperate terrains?

the asteroid with "Earth: 21,857,439,054 km" made me laugh.

also, there's a part with an overhanging street sign that you added between two buildings, it goes through some pipes, which doesn't look good.

There's also the tallest structure, which looks like two buldings put one over the other, i don't think it fits in with the theme, as there's nothing on the top, it's also not aligned properly, as there's pipes going through themselves at the bottom.

I think adding a "dock" would be cool.

Otherwise, a really nice terrain..

Level 11
I really don't like those buildings, no windows.

I was just excited when I saw new buildings, so I tried testing them out. THIS was the result ;)

i don't get the half good half destroyed too, is it two seperate terrains?
Well, when making this I also found the destroyed buildings, and wanted to integrate those as well. So Then I got the idea to do kind of an extreme 1945-1980's Berlin (notice the wall in the middle). One side nice and productive (and free! yeah!) and the other side grim, destroyed (boo Commie Russians). Again, THIS was the result, haha.

There's also the tallest structure, which looks like two buldings put one over the other, i don't think it fits in with the theme, as there's nothing on the top, it's also not aligned properly, as there's pipes going through themselves at the bottom.
Yeah I really liked playing with the height variations, which in fact resulted in buildings being put on top of each other attempting to make the city seem more epic. I dont think it worked and I think you agree.

Otherwise, a really nice terrain..
Lol after all those criticisms I get a "but except for ALL THOSE THINGS, its nice..."

=) thanks for the tips. This was just testing the doodads. Definitely learned some things here, with help from your review. +rep

Level 5
This map has just given me some more inspiration to finish the terrain for a map I'm messing around with... Two problems I find with the map.
#1: I dislike the fact that it's a giant rectangle. Maybe have it somewhat circular but still blocky?
#2: The ruined half of the city's buildings doesn't fit with the functioning half's.

Level 11
I'm glad it has given you some inspiration. I agree that the rectangle looks a bit weird. This was a first run at a city, I was trying to make as organized a city as possible. If their was a second draft of this terrain, I'd unblocky it. The ruined part was just a test. Indeed it also looks weird that half is nice city the other is destroyed.

Learn from my mistakes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.