• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MasterTrainer's Terrain Showcase/WiPs (Great City)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Before anything else, I would like you to know that the "Great" in the Great city does not refer to the terrain itself.

I am currently working on this city, and by the time I'm done it will be fully functional or playable, depending on my mood.

Right now I am constructing the Core Area of the city, where most of the Royals are housed.

Take a look for yourself:

Feedback is appreciated! Please tell me what you think about it.

Though I would like your opinion on what to change, add and/or remove.

Attachments

• 2013-05-02 12_14_10-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    2013-05-02 12_14_10-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,877
  • 2013-05-02 12_14_54-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    2013-05-02 12_14_54-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 900
  • 2013-05-02 12_15_18-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    2013-05-02 12_15_18-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 1,227
  • 2013-05-02 12_16_33-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    2013-05-02 12_16_33-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 396
  • 2013-05-05 13_20_41-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    2013-05-05 13_20_41-Warcraft III World Editor - [C__..._The Ultimate Terraining Map 3.0 (1).jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 3,065
Last edited:
Level 14
It looks like you're off to a good start, especially for a playable terrain. I like when people put time and effort into making playable terrain look nice. I'm glad you didn't use the common blizzard houses, they tend to get overused and spammed pretty bad in a lot of cities.

It's hard to critique things about it because you are still working on it so I don't want to say things like 'add more doodads here' or something. I'll keep checking in if you keep updating. Keep up the good work.

Level 30
Terrain looks great as expected but if you are taking suggestion, I suggest putting some more doodads/destructibles because it is somehow empty at some point in the terrain and also I suggest add a Human Flag at the Entrance of the City.

Thats all and overall, nice terrain! +2 REP but need to wait 24 hours again....

Level 14
The Naboo doodads are quite old, thus quite ugly when used at larger scale and closer looks. Also they don't blend with the architecture style of the cityscape doodads.
Be sure to use tinting colors on all doodads to make them blend better with each other.

Right now your terrain would look much better from afar rather than close looks.

Also if it is a playable terrain for a game you are developing, do consider how the tall buildings would block the vision of ground units if using standard cameras.

Level 20
The Naboo doodads are quite old, thus quite ugly when used at larger scale and closer looks. Also they don't blend with the architecture style of the cityscape doodads.
Be sure to use tinting colors on all doodads to make them blend better with each other.

Right now your terrain would look much better from afar rather than close looks.

Also if it is a playable terrain for a game you are developing, do consider how the tall buildings would block the vision of ground units if using standard cameras.

Okay so I took into consideration all of your suggestions.

I added a dark green tint to the naboo doodads, so hopefully they blend in more with each other.

The only solution to the scale-building problem I came up with is a first-person camera system.

Anyways there is a new wip in the main post, I would like you to tell me what you think of it.

Level 6
Overall quite decent. The 3rd picture looks a bit dull though, mainly because the grass is not filled with any sort of (pathable) doodads.
I somehow like how much detail you put in the city architecture and outlay, although I'm afraid it's logically spread but it feels very (if not too) symetric and based on a fixed layout that it seems somewhat surreal.

Anyway, keep up the work man!

Status
Not open for further replies.