• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Terrain] Discussion Table

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys, This topic aims resolve issues about the Terrain.
Then Lets Go.

Discussion 01/07

1- The names of those who will make the team of terrain
2- How will the terrain?
3- Who will do what?
4- What resources can we use?

Discussion 03/07

1- The fog is important for this project?
2- Cliffs or Raise?
3- Terrain Style HD or Cartton?

Level 16
I think we should make a decent, breathtaking terrain rather than a cartoonic one. Because a serious environment will contradict the comedic gameplay, creating an amplification effect.

What do you mean by "elements"?

The map's size is 128x128. Which tileset is good?

Level 28
"1/ MasterTrainer and you.
2/ AoS, medieval style.
3/ & 4/ Terrainers' stuffs x)"

I think like Doomlord. But about 4, I'd suggest using some models like the ones from the Diablo 3 map o_O make it dark and epic. Really dark and only light effects to lighten the area around you. We can make items that increase vision (light radius) and such. + it would make it kinda new and intriguing. I haven't seen such a type of map yet :\ + it hides all the stupid stuff where we failed (cuz darkness is awesome) and adds a cool.. really cool. feeling.

Now, this may not sound very related to the Terrain itself but, in my opinion light effects will determine our terrain type. I'm not sure about the placing, that's the terrainers job. But terrain type is important. I'd say something.. gothic. With huge buildings with cool gothic windows. dark. etc. etc.

Level 30
To answer the questions:

1 - MasterTrainer, you, and Archange1 I think
2 - I cant quite understand this question but I think you mean how should be the terrain? To answer that, it should be quite focused to Medieval and also not cartoonish.
3 - There are many. SO we cannot plan that further because everything is a possibility that we can use a specific resource.

Discussion 03/07
1 - Yes, I do think so because it gives rather much more feeling into the atmosphere and it makes it more kind of realistic. Not only that but weathers might be cool also.
2 - Better if Raise. No grudges about cliffs but they just look ugly when used improper while in Raise, no risks.
3 - HD of course. Cartoonish just sounds too bad and if you combine cartoonish terrain with humorous apsects, it quite makes a good mix but remember Medieval. Cartoonish will crush our plan of terrain being Medieval.

Level 23
Raise is good, but you will see over the edges, and that may not be good, for instance DOTA is made with Cliff, because you cant see over the edges of cliffs, with raise you cant have that unless you make the sight blockers locally but that may cause desync

Level 14
we'll see(;

you do NOT want to use natural cliffs on an AoS.
stick with blizzard cliffs otherwise we're going to have some trouble with pathing and line of sight.

for things like ramps and stuff, i have a secret to making it look less abrupt.

you can of course overrule my suggestions but you have been warned. ^_^

Level 4
Felipe, it's not the end of the world, but it just sometimes annoys me when your grammar messes up...

Or then I'm just being trolled Mr. Bean style.

Status
Not open for further replies.