• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree vs Techweb

Level 21
When making one of my projects in the past I came across a problem.

I had 4 kinds of walls:
Basic Wall(Horisontal)
Basic Wall(Vertical)
Basic Wall(Diagonal1)
Basic Wall(Diagonal2)

I needed to make a techtree requirement, that tells you to build a wall - any wall of the ones mentioned above.
After a bit of thinking I came across a solution. (Click picture to enlarge)
Wall Equivalent.JPG
I created a new unit named "Basic Wall" and used used all the other Basic Wall types as the dependency equivalent. Then I made the techtree requirement take the "Basic Wall" unit, instead of any of the others. The "Basic Wall" unit would never be placed anywhere.

Later on I realized, that I could use similar ways to create a sort of a techweb.
Normally things are placed in a sort of a tree-shaped thing.
expansion-human-techtree.gif

However, through dependency equivalents you can make something like this(Click picture to enlarge):
Techweb Example.JPG
You can make E require O and (A or D).
Or you can make O require ABCDEFGH, while A requires H or B, B requires C or A, C requires D or B, etc.
You can literally go nuts with this possibility.
Now comes the important question: How?

It's actually quite simple. You make a unit that will never be trainable. Then you put all the Equivalent units in its dependency equivalents and use this unit for any dependencies you might need.
Like this(Click picture to enlarge):
Wall Equivalent.JPG
The reason this works is that now whenever a game checks for your equivalent unit it also considers everything you've set as equivalents. Thus, you've effectively made a techtree requirement that contains a group of unit types.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like an interesting tutorial to consider when planning an altered melee/RTS-style game. I like the theme.

However, I feel that this area isn't really explained well:
It's actually quite simple. You make a unit that will never be trainable. Then you put all the Equivalent units in its dependency equivalents.
Like this(Click picture to enlarge):

You should explain the problem you are trying to address a bit more, and then say how that modification addresses that problem completely. You state the problem and give a solution, but I wasn't able to understand what that solution actually did. It just seems a bit brief in that area. Fix that and I think it will be pretty much approvable.

Level 21
Seems like an interesting tutorial to consider when planning an altered melee/RTS-style game. I like the theme.

However, I feel that this area isn't really explained well:

You should explain the problem you are trying to address a bit more, and then say how that modification addresses that problem completely. You state the problem and give a solution, but I wasn't able to understand what that solution actually did. It just seems a bit brief in that area. Fix that and I think it will be pretty much approvable.

How about now?