• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Team color vrs Terrain in SC2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
You know how in SC1 you couldn't have white team color with snow terrain or green team color with jungle terrain due to camouflage? They didn't even make black due to the fact that it was too hard to distinguish on the terrans and see in the fog of war. They won't use black as a team color for the same reasons in SC2, but it will still be available in the editor. What about Green and White on jungle and snow terrains? Will they do the same thing? Do you think they should? I mean do the white and green team colors even really give your player a slight camouflage advantage over the other player? Does it make that much of a difference? What do you guys think?

I bet this topic hasn't been brought up, but I think it should. It's a small debate and probably not worth bringing up, but too late; I feel like it.

By the way, someone from Blizzard has stated that there will be about 16-18 team colors excluding black. That doesn't mean there will be 18 players though.

I for one think they should go ahead and let you use white on snow terrains and green in jungles. I don't see it giving that much of a camo advantage over the other player. He can still see your troops.

Last edited:
its actually a pretty good advantage XD, but, they could always just have the minimap icon, have a circle around it (bright red, with a team colored center, for enemys)
blue for allies, white for your own, so you can see your own team color ^^
thatd solve it pretty good

its funny what actually affects game play, like smaller units being harder to click, makes them slightly better (or big for tanky units, to draw missfire)

but how does one measure those kinds of factors ingame?, its rather hard to, and it still depends on the situation.

Its also better to be at the bottom of the map, because its easier to hide workers and stuff, and you have a little bit of an attack advantage coming in from below (the camera faces slightly upward)

footprints are suprisingly useful to if you pay attention, lets you judge where the enemy was, along with aproximately how many were there, depending on footprint amount. although they could last just a little longer

In the end theres always gonna be minor balance issues, to small to calculate properly, and theres no real need in worrying about them. Although in certain CUSTOM games, camoflague has a big help, not so much where targets are automatically aquired anyways..

Level 6
Thanks for that info. I didn't think of it that way. I noticed too that footprints as well as the rotting of corpses let you know if there was a battle and how recent it was and where the enemy could be. Well, I still think they should allow green and white team colors for snowy and jungle maps, but the minimap icon ideal you had is a good ideal and should be implemented. I bet it will if it isn't already. By the way, I think I have seen green team color on a jungle terrain already in a screenshot, so they may allow it.

Level 22
I wanna see that we can choose our own custom team color, not like replacing a team color in the mpq in order to get your favourite color ingame. Like why in war3 you can import custom team color that will be seen in the editor but not in-game? This needs to be fixed if they will not add my favorite blue color

Status
Not open for further replies.