• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tamers of Domingo ORPG. Full discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Green X in brackets are done. Red X to the right equals currently being worked on.

To do list:

Beast Control
[ X ] Basic Beast Responses
[ ] Advanced Beast Responses

Beast Details
[ ] Create First Tier Beasts
[ ] Create Second Tier Beasts
[ ] Create Third Tier Beasts
[ ] Create Fourth Tier Beasts
[ ] Create Evolving Monsters
[ ] Create Beast Skills

Monsters
[ ] Spawn System
[ ] Create Level 1 - 15 Monsters
[ ] Create Level 16 - 30 Monsters
[ ] Create Level 31 - 45 Monsters
[ ] Create Level 46 - 60 Monsters
[ ] Create Level 61 - 75 Monsters

Bosses
[ ] Create Low Level Bosses lvl 1-30
[ ] Create Mid Level Bosses lvl 35-55
[ ] Create High Level Bosses lvl 56 - 74
[ ] Create Final Bosses lvl 75-85
[ ] Program Event Driven Bosses
[ ] Create Boss Loot System

Tamers
[ ] Edit and Create Tamer Models
[ ] Create Tamer Skills
[ 0/2 ] Hero Respawn System X

Items
[ ] Item Drop System
[ ] Add Attachments for Weapons and Armor
[ ] Create consumables
[ ] Create Equipment level 1+
[ ] Create Equipment level 9+
[ ] Create Equipment level 17+
[ ] Create Equipment level 25+
[ ] Create Equipment level 33+
[ ] Create Equipment level 39+
[ ] Create Equipment level 45+
[ ] Create Equipment level 53+
[ ] Create Equipment level 59+
[ ] Create Equipment level 65+
[ ] Create Equipment level 70+
[ ] Create End Game Equipment
[ ] Create "Recipe" Items

Terrain
[ ] Create Swamps Terrain
[ ] Create Forest Terrain
[ ] Create Lavapits Terrain
[ ] Create Islands Terrain
[ ] Create Tundra Terrain
[ ] Create Steampunk Factory Terrain
[ ] Create Arena Terrain
[ ] Create interiors and dungeons

PVP and Arena
[ ] Create Non-Arena PVP
[ ] Create Arena PVP
[ ] Create Arena NPC PVP
[ ] Create Arena Minigames

Misc.
[ ] Custom EXP and Gold Gain System
[ ] Design & Program Elemental System
[ ] Add Dungeon Treasure Chest System
[ ] Add Projectiles and Missile Collision Recognition

Positions Needing Filled:
(Don't get me wrong, I can do a lot of the work on this myself, but a one man project of this scale would take a long long time for just me and wouldn't be nearly as artistically dynamic & creative without a team.)

Most needed:
You'll have a lot of your own creative input and freedom available here.

Terrainer(s):
JASS/GUI
Spell Maker(s):
GUI/JASS Trigger Makers and JASS Manipulators for Systems:
Quest Maker(s):

Optional:
Model Maker(s):
Texture Creator(s):

Note: All members of the team are currently able to add their own input such as monster ideas, spell ideas, boss ideas, terrain ideas, maps, quests, storylines and all that stuff into the map, as the project is still quiet young.

Introduction:

After working on Vuen's D&D Grand Project I've recently decided to further my skills and make a map from scratch. I've been wanting to do this for a while now, and am finally putting my ideas in place.

Map Description:

The Tamers of Domingo is a save/load ORPG that centers around mythical beast masters who quell the feral threats of Domingo by raising the creatures within to aide them.

You'll begin in one of a number of lands within Domingo. As a fledling tamer, worth little mention, your job is to change that and rise to a level worthy of Domingo's history. You recieve your first incubation item upon hero selection. This item will create a beast that will be your new companion, ready to fight for you.

As you progress, you can acquire more beast companions, find rare items, and enjoy a captivating storyline.

Map Features:

The custom attack system:
When you first start out, you'll realize your hero has no attack button. However, as you equip your first weapon that changes. Your tamer is given an "attack" that is actually a JASS enhanced spell. It has a cooldown and radius. If you aren't in the proper range to attack an enemy, your swing will generate no damage. You see this system in a number of survival style maps. The only ORPG I can think of with this system is Dark Invasion 2 though.

I feel this system will simplify using your beast, and add depth to the weapons you equip. You can equip a bow, a staff, throwable weapons (stars, daggers, axes) and a number of other weapons all with their own cooldowns, damage, range and elemental properties.

The custom beast control system:
If you try to manually control your beast, you'll find it impossible. Instead, you must use a spellbook ability chalk full of commands for your beast. Ability 1, 2, 3, and 4, Move/Attack, and Heel (Return). More may be implemented as deemed necessary.

Beasts will not go more than a certain distance away from you

This seems to be a preferred method of control amongst many ORPG players. I think it should be fun to do as well, and may even simplify things to only having to really control one character.

Multi-map System:
You can get all your leveling done from 1 to max level on a single map, and never really know what you're missing. The true beauty however lies in the multiple maps that you can play on, and even the difference creating a new character on another map will make.

The save/load code is transferable between maps. You can load your Tamer from the Domingo Swamps into the Lavapits, and vice versa. If you want a Firesword, you may find the Lavapits is the only place to get it. If you want an Ice Phoenix, you can only find one in the Tundra. This will make players feel more accomplished gaining some of the greatest rewards over multiple maps and completing their desired builds for maximum play.

Tamer Diversity:
You thought tamers were pretty diverse just having their own set of monsters and equipment to put on, right? Yeah, I didn't think so. So I decided to make it so the four classes, Female Mage, Male Mage, Male Warrior, and Female Warrior, each get 3 different base skills that are determined by the map they start on.

Tamers will find that after starting in the lavapits, they have particular skills that make them well versed at handling Fire Monsters. For some Tamers this could pose an obvious benefit to starting in the Lavapits, leveling up some, then traveling to the islands and capturing a water beast, then returning to the lavapits for a serious advantage. For other tamers it may mean staying in the Tundras with their fire creatures.

4 tamers per map, 3 different skills per tamer. That's 12 different skills per map. There's going to be at least 6 maps. That's 72 different skills! Considering most RPGs have maybe 40 skills divided amongst their heroes, this is a serious advantage. Take into account the different spells on beasts, the number of beasts you can get, and that certain glove items give your current beast a 4th skill, as well as that the special item slot gives your tamer a 4th skill, you'll find that the diversity per player is staggering! Finding someone to fill a role in your group won't be difficult either.

Equipment & Attachment System:
I'm currently using an Equipment system that was submitted here on the Hive. So far it fits my needs pretty nicely.

You can equip weapons, shields, gloves, boots, helms, armors, amulets, specials and rings. I'll be adding attachments to change your appearance as you equip certain items too.

Not all tamers can wear the same gear though. So be wary of that.

Elemental System:
As you could imagine these different beasts have different elemental strengths and weaknesses. This will allow a diverse range of attacks which will work better on some monsters and worse on others, requiring a bit of forward planning and strategy to trully get ahead.

Each map has 3 primary elements that inhabit it. Just to give you a heads up, here are the different elements currently planned:

Fire, Water, Earth, Lightning, Ice, Wind, Light, Dark, and Metal.

You'll find you have to fight lower leveled creatures if you bring Fire Beasts into the swamps. But if you bring that fire beast into the Tundra, you'll be able to carve out some nice EXP.

Not all beasts are confined to a single element though. You'll find that there is a defensive elemental affiliation and an offensive elemental affiliation. Of course, specialized beasts can kill other elements a lot faster, making them very powerful in certain situations, but you'll want at least one dual element. There's a lot to consider when picking your beasts.

Tamers will also be able to harvest this system to their advantage. By acquiring and equiping weapons of elemental properties, they may do enhanced damage against enemies. Also by acquiring equippable armor with elemental properties, they can reduce the damage they recieve from other elements.

With all this in mind, utelizing the elements to your advantage will be a great help.

Did I mention PVP?
Who doesn't love a little PVP, especially when it comes to fighting with your own specially raised monsters?

PVP in Quest maps is for fun. However, only heroes who have completed a Hero Quest map participate in PVP. These quests make a town regard you as a hero. There will be 10 small towns in every map, each with it's own hero quest, one for every player. Completing one hero quest bars you from the others.

When one player wages war on another, the target of said player will have the guards of their hero town becomes hostile to that player. Both can engage each other in battle now. However, there are some limitations until both players consent to war, which I will deta below.

If player 1 completes hero quest in town A, he can now -war anyone else who has completed a hero quest. If player 2 completes hero quest in town B, the same goes for him, and so forth an so on. Now, if player 1 decides to -war with player two, then all the guards in town B will attack player 1 on sight.

Here is where it gets tricky, but is made for fairness. If Player 1 runs into Player 2 out on the field, Player 1's beast will automatically regard Player 2 as an enemy and attack him without being told. However, until Player 2 -wars Player 1, Player 2 will be able to enter Town A without retalliation from the guards. But Player 2 will have to manually order his beast to attack Player 1. Thus, Player 1 will always have the upperhand in engaging in battle against Player 2 until he decides to -war.

The other method of PVP takes place in the arena, where players can load their characters and monsters and fight it out against other players to see who is trully the best. Dueling against AI controlled Tamers will also prove a hardy challenge, as will completing minigames for points. The more difficult you decide to make the tamer, scaled to your level by the way, the better the Arena point rewards.

By beating AI Tamers and racking up points in mini-games, you can purchase special items only attainable in the arena. However, there is no EXP to be gained in this place, and few if any quests.

Still the benefits and enjoyment of the arena is not to be missed, especially for the PVP minded.

Intricate Dungeons:
What ORPG is complete without? Fight through various dungeons to obtain da phat lewt hidden within! Bosses are no joke, and will be event driven. But in the end it's all worth it to find rare beasts, powerful equipment, and miscellaneous goods that can range from recipe items to optional quests.

Dungeons will likely be soloable up until the boss. However don't think they'll be easy. From mazes to puzzles to keys and traps, the dungeons will test your intuition and nerve. You may have to split up, or stick together. An element may be required, an item obtained, or any number of functions just to make it to the end, which will lead you to the Boss.

Event Driven Bosses
And oh how the bosses will shine! First off they will not be soloable. At least 3 players must enter the boss' room within a time frame before the boss will spawn. Once the boss has spawned, the room will not be able to be entered again until all players in the boss room have died.

Bosses may not always be single bosses. Whats more, they will be event driven, meaning as you fight them, they may activate random effects, like charming a player, forcing a player to dismiss a beast, hiding and spawning lesser beasts, creating hallucinegic effects on your party, transforming and a whole slew of other effects.

Knowing what to do will help, as will having experienced players by your side. Still, the rewards will far outway any risks.

Recipes:
You can't craft in this (Sometimes that can get a bit tedious and distracting anyways), but you can collect items that can be transformed into a single, powerful item.

Who doesn't like collecting? Only it's not as lame as stamps.

Enthralling Storyline:
We're not talking go to the different gyms and battle the different trainers, or save my pet cat "Stinky". The threats feel real, the monsters are dangerous, and the towns need the help of the tamers.

You're not doing anything "Just because." A purpose and plot is always involved, and you have a duty to take on.

Keep the poisonous Redtoad from spawning hatchlings in the Wellways, contaminating the water supply. (Eww! Don't drink that water D:) And fight back the maneating blood vine before it consumes an entire village.

And when you're ready, stop the ultimate calamity each land faces from reaching absolute power.

Final Note:
As I'm the only one working on this map as far as touching it's coding goes, I have not created a board for the discussion of the map or any other such dealings. However I can and will when the amount of project members increases.

For now, please enjoy the sample map provided. It is unprotected since it has little of value to steal.

Selecting your Hero:

Simply click your desired hero twice.

Equipping a weapon:

When your hero spawns he'll have two items. A sword and an incubation item. Left click the sword to equip it.

Incubating your creature:

You'll have to run up to the door of the Hunter's Hall (It's a warp area. I will designate it as such soon and reupload the map). Make sure your incubation item is not equipped. If it is, hit Q and unequip it. Then, click the Incubator in the fenced off area and use the incubation spell on yourself with your incubation item in your inventory (But not equipped).

How to find Monsters:

There are Banshees south along the bottom cliff in the graveyard and Murguls in the pond to the west.

Attachments

• BeastTamer2.w3x
    800.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The custom attack system:
When you first start out, you'll realize your hero has no attack button. However, as you equip your first weapon that changes. Your tamer is given an "attack" that is actually a JASS enhanced spell. It has a cooldown and radius. If you aren't in the proper range to attack an enemy, your swing will generate no damage. You see this system in a number of survival style maps. The only ORPG I can think of with this system is Dark Invasion 2 though.

I feel this system will simplify using your beast, and add depth to the weapons you equip. You can equip a bow, a staff, throwable weapons (stars, daggers, axes) and a number of other weapons all with their own cooldowns, damage, range and elemental properties.
This generally is not a very good attack system as you end up getting far to many "ability is in cooldown" errors and reduced attack rate due to lag. Every RPG I know that is realtime allows some kind of auto attack feature, so why should your RPG be a backwards evolution. However as a custom ability I have nothing against, you could just write simple AI so your hero by defaut attacks when ever enemis are in range (uses the ability) but when you issue other stronger abilities it uses them. It is not a good idea to get players to do too much in maps, they already are having to move their hero around, send AI commands to a pet and use abilities but on top of that you want them to press to attack, really this seems like it could get boring or irritating fast having to constantly mash hotkeys between various menues to attack and order your minion to attack.

In maps like Dark Invasion 2, mages ended up only casting spells and need not bother about normal attacking outside of very low level areas as the spells did far more damage and ate up all the heroes time. As for physical heroes, next to the odd ability they mostly sat there spamming the attack button when ever their attack was charged, with a cooldown I am prety sure the "error: wait for cooldown" will really get to some people.

Level 13
@Dr Super Good
I appreciate the feedback as always Dr. SuperGood. I see you're always trying to help when you can. :D

I'm going to have to look into revising the attack system to make sure it does not become a tedious or unwanted effort by the players. I'll see if I can't generate some feedback from testers, generate ideas in the idea factory, or just have a brainstorming session.

Currently the attack system is something I'm fond of for this map, but I have not yet put in full beast tamer control. Honestly it could just as well function as something to help in dire situations or as a defense mechanism when your creature has died. We'll see though. Balance is always something to keep in mind.

@Gofft

I look forward to your input and would love to hear it. Fire away.

Level 18
For your attack system create a blank map and add the system to it. So that people can test it without you show them your map :)

A lot of players are not good at microing, I dont imagine your whole battle system but if they have to micro their hero to avoid him to be hit or to cast spell and in the same time to control the beast, it would be hard for them.

You said 3 spells for each heroes depending on their native region. I think they should have regular taming skills like Nets, Warcry, First Aid, Taunt, Fake Howl (attract one type of monster), Trap, Hide etc...

You have to make sure all your beasts are completely different (few ability ideas: Cold/Fire Bite, Agressive Jump, Fear Howl, Dominance (like in a wolf pack), Deadly Bite, Critical Bite, Cold/Fire Claws, Deadly Claws, Snapping, Immobilize).

Will it be possible to control more than one pet at once ?

Level 13
The attack system needs to be combo'ed with the independant monster control system in order to be sure that it's not going to be overwhelming micro-managing for the player. At present, I'm almost positive that the amount of work a player has to do to keep up is going to be overwhelming, so I'm going to have to think of a way to fix it.

I could allow an A.I. to control the monsters that can be turned on/off, but that's quite a bit of extra programming. That would free up your hero to be used. Still players would just have it on all the time anyways, and the game might get boring.

So, my other option would be to rethink the attack system for Beast Tamer. I'll figure it out in due time. Certainly before a playable beta version is released.

If you wish to test the attack system as is, I've added a quick instruction guide on how to start up in the map at the bottom of my first post.

Anyways, I like your ideas for the tamers. They will have abilities that will support their native region's 3 elements. Also each tamer follows a general purpose:
Male Warrior (Physical Defensive Support)
Female Warrior (Physical Offensive Support)
Male Mage (Magical Offensive Support)
Female Mage (Magical Defensive Support)

For example the Swamps is composed of Dark, Poison, and Water. Picking a Male Warrior in the Swamps will give one water, dark, and poison based skill that focuses on reducing damage from those elements.

And don't worry, the monsters will be quite different, fullfilling jobs as healers, damage dealers, tanks, support, etc. And since they're elemental based, their jobs may be quite unique.

However, for the sake of balance and ability space, you will only be able to control one beast at a time. However, using a portable incubator will allow you to dismiss a beast and call out a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.