• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Unit Limitation System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey I'm creating a Pet ORPG called Tamers of Domingo.

The Tamer hero can summon up to three other hero's that're creatures. These creatures are what fight for the beast master. You can have a maximum of three creatures and only one out at a time.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to set this up. I need to make it so that the creatures can be summoned and unsummoned without taking up too much map space. I don't really prefer to use a wait area for creatures but will if I have to. I was thinking of a way to hide and call them. Still I need to figure out a good way to hide and show 3 heroes while keeping a fourth out all the time. Since they are heroes they need to be kept in the game.

I also need a way to summon the heroes onto the field. I can't really do items, since the hero needs that space to equip a few pieces of equipment that make him have an outfit. I gotta figure out some other means of summoning.

I need a way to limit the amount of creatures a beast tamer can have out at any one time to 1. This shouldn't be too hard, but ideas are definently appreciated.

Now, because I want a beast tamer to be able to change their mind on keeping certain monsters I need to figure out a way for the tamer to delete monsters they don't want. Perhaps this could be done by saving and loading beasts. Honestly that sounds the most plausible.

Just a bit of extra info: I have the beast tamers start out with a monster summoning item. These items will create a level 1 monster type for that hero. In order for the hero to turn that spawning item into a monster, though, they must first take the item to an incubator, which will then remove the item and give them a monster when a spell is cast on them and they hold that item in their inventory.

It should be a fun ORPG, but we'll see. I'm going to create a single database, triggers, variables, etc. and transfer them between maps, making it so that it's a multimap series. You can load a fire monster caught in the Lavaland map and bring it into the Woodlands to wreak havoc.

Should be really fun.

Level 13
well, when i want to take away control of a hero during a spell i may just transfer ownership of the hero to neutral passive player i think it is. you might do that for the heroes that are not currently summoned.

you can probably then give the hero the ability invulnerability and command it to stop and then hide it. then when you want to summon it, move it to where it needs to be, take away the invulnerability ability, and and then unhide it, and finally change ownership back.

oh yeah you may also have to give him locust and take it away along with the invulnerable ability. i'm not sure but i think he needs it even though he's hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.