• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tamers of Domingo. ORPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I'm developing an ORPG called Tamers of Domingo. It's a multi-map, multi-player ORPG.

What that means is I'm going to use a single database and transfer it between multiple maps. I'm hoping and thinking that this will make the save system also transferable. So you can load save everything you've done in one map and load it into another. Capture and level a Fire Monster in one map, load it in another, and continue your experience in the world of Domingo.

This will give every map it's own distinct rare drops, rare monsters, quest line, monster types, elemental advantages and disadvantages, and keep the ORPG fresh.

I'm pretty sure this is possible. I haven't looked into save engines but I'd think that if the information in each of the databases is the same, it shouldn't have a problem loading universally.

I'm also adding a system where creatures have distinct elemental advantages using a custom system. If a monster casts a water based spell on a fire based creature, it does bonus damage. I'm trying to figure out ways to make it so regular physical attacks also are benefited from this system as well.

Every game has 4 heroes to choose from for new players. Male Mage, Female Mage, Male Warrior, and Female Warrior. In the database they have no abilities. When you first pick your Tamer, he will be given spells depending on what map he's in, and those spells will transfer to and from maps. You can buy a fourth ability from varying vendors.

Lets say you make a Tamer in the swamp who is a Male Warrior. He's given poison resistance, deflect darkness, and purify wounds. He can purchase an additional ability from any place that sells them. In order to level these abilities he must spend his accumulated points on them. However, innate spells of the Tamer can only be leveled on the map the tamer was first created on.

There's also an attachment system for Tamers. If a tamer picks up a cloak, that cloak will be attached to the tamer's avatar. So, your tamer can have a very unique look to him. However the items are not universal between heroes.

What do you all think? Sound fun?

Last edited:
Level 8
It sounds like it has been done before. How I understand it, it is like the other tamer/monster master ORPG's, but instead of having a multiplayer world, you play it by yourself, with the odd loadscreen to the next map.

I wouldn't like it, but there might be some people.

Level 13
Actually it is a multiplayer map as I stated in the first sentence. So no worries, you won't be playing it by yourself.

It is similar to monster master ORPGs in that you tame monsters that you use to fight. However, it's different in that the save code carries into map 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Pretend you're playing the Tundra storyline and getting quests there. Now you want to try a new story line. Bam, find or host up the Lavaflows map and you've got some new quests to play, items to find, and beasts to fight, all while using the same creature you used in the Tundra.

Elements also make a big difference in this ORPG. When you use elemental based spells they will do reduced or raised damage depending on the enemies element. Elements will play a pretty big factor in this ORPG. You'll find leveling in the Tundra easier with Fire and Lightning monsters than if you were fighting in the Lavaflows.

I believe it will revolutinize ORPGs. However I do worry that the load codes will be fairly lengthy. We'll see. I may need help from a very specialized save load engine maker.

Status
Not open for further replies.