• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Could some of the artists here tell me what tablets are good to work with and how they work?

I'm a decent drawer with pencil and paper but having my drawings digital is a big +. I would like to use my drawing skills in photoshop but my mouse is a huge handicap.

So what model do you use, what is good to start with, how is it used.
And any tips for starters?

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Well, if you're not sure you'll like it, you might want to start small, so an A5 size tablet should be a good start. As far as I know, the best ones are made by Wacom (I have a Wacom Graphire4 myself). Thus I suggest you find a suitable Wacom.

They're easy to use once you get familiar with them - it's like holding a pen and drawing on paper, only the line doesn't show up at the tip of your pen, but at a spot on the screen judged by the position of the pen on the Wacom. For instance, when the drivers and software work together correctly, the tablet represents the screen, and the pen the mouse. So if you centre the pen on the Wacom, the pointer on your screen will centre as well (meaning you can access any part of the screen without panning over it).

Other useful tools are the pressure-measure, you get a effect that resembles a real pencil if you enable pressure to control the size and opacity of your line. There's also options for tilting the pen on some models. Additionally, they come with an eraser in the other end of the pen, so you don't have to select Eraser every time you need to erase something, you just turn the pen like you would with a regular writing pencil, the eraser also is pressure sensitive.

For any artist that wants to do digital art, a tablet is a must!

Level 17
Well, if you're not sure you'll like it, you might want to start small, so an A5 size tablet should be a good start. As far as I know, the best ones are made by Wacom (I have a Wacom Graphire4 myself). Thus I suggest you find a suitable Wacom.

They're easy to use once you get familiar with them - it's like holding a pen and drawing on paper, only the line doesn't show up at the tip of your pen, but at a spot on the screen judged by the position of the pen on the Wacom. For instance, when the drivers and software work together correctly, the tablet represents the screen, and the pen the mouse. So if you centre the pen on the Wacom, the pointer on your screen will centre as well (meaning you can access any part of the screen without panning over it).

Other useful tools are the pressure-measure, you get a effect that resembles a real pencil if you enable pressure to control the size and opacity of your line. There's also options for tilting the pen on some models. Additionally, they come with an eraser in the other end of the pen, so you don't have to select Eraser every time you need to erase something, you just turn the pen like you would with a regular writing pencil, the eraser also is pressure sensitive.

For any artist that wants to do digital art, a tablet is a must!

Could not agree more, well your post is a great help for me.
I'm going for a 200 by 150cm I guess thats about a B5 right. Everything higher is just terrible expensive. I have to worry about college and my drivers license first. :p And I need a job lawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.