• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Syntax highlighting in Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
For a long time I tried to find a program or mod for the world editor that adds syntax highlighting for jass and lua code in the editor (because the standard one already hurts my eyes), but I constantly found only utilities for past versions (JNGP and TESH) or programs in which you can add syntax highlighting for lua, but nowhere are there guides on how to do this.

What can you recommend?
Do you use syntax highlighting in Reforged? If so, how did you do it?

Level 18
Okay, I've connected Jass to Notepad ++, but how do I connect map itself to Notepad? In this guide, nothing is said about it.
You can use //! import in the world editor to import .j files stored in a different location, or you can copypaste everything you write in notepad++ into the world editor. Neither solution is very convenient though, so for that and other reasons you may want to consider switching to lua, since there exist better tools for that. If you dislike lua, you can also try C#, python, or typescript.

Level 6
You can use //! import in the world editor to import .j files stored in a different location, or you can copypaste everything you write in notepad++ into the world editor. Neither solution is very convenient though, so for that and other reasons you may want to consider switching to lua, since there exist better tools for that. If you dislike lua, you can also try C#, python, or typescript.
So I also want to learn how to make a convenient syntax display as in JNGP, but only for 1.32, so I created this topic.

Level 6
You can download the source code of TESH 2.0 here. You can study that to learn how it can be done in principle.

But I wouldn't recommend trying to recreate it. If you are looking for a quick solution, its probably better to use Notepad++.

Do you mean to integrate notepad ++ into the editor the same way as in JNGP? I don't quite understand what this is about. Or do you mean using notepad ++ for syntax highlighting?

And I don't understand how to install TESH. Said to add TESH to jassnewgenpack5d i.e. folder from JNGP, but JNGP is not supported on Reforged. Or am I not aware of something?

Level 14
Do you mean to integrate notepad ++ into the editor the same way as in JNGP? I don't quite understand what this is about. Or do you mean using notepad ++ for syntax highlighting?

It is not possible to integrate Notepad++ into the editor like in JNGP.

What I meant is what Drake53 suggested: You can code in Notepad++ and either use copy/paste or //! import.

This is of course not the same as TESH and has several drawbacks, but it is a quick and easy solution if syntax highlighting is your priority.

And I don't understand how to install TESH. Said to add TESH to jassnewgenpack5d i.e. folder from JNGP, but JNGP is not supported on Reforged.

TESH does not work anymore since Reforged. You can't install it with the new version.

The only way to use it, is to use an older version of Wc3 and the old JNGP or Sharpcraft. However, the maps will then only work with the old version of the game, so this is not a good solution.

Or am I not aware of something?

The situation is a bit unfortunate.

In principle, I am pretty sure that TESH would still work with the World Editor, even in Reforged. However, TESH is not a standalone program, it is a dynamic-link library (dll). As such, it must be loaded by a host process in order to start.

Previously, JNGP loaded TESH on startup and by doing so, TESH is started. It does so, because JNGP loads a dll with the name TESH.dll automatically, by default (if such a dll exists). But since JNGP (and Sharcraft) don't work anymore since Reforged, there is no host process to load TESH and therefore it doesn't work anymore.

The problem could be fixed I guess by simpliy creating some executable like the one from JNGP that loads TESH.dll into the WE (but I don't know how to do that).

Last edited:
Level 6
It is not possible to integrate Notepad++ into the editor like in JNGP.

What I meant is what Drake53 suggested: You can code in Notepad++ and either use copy/paste or //! import.

This is of course not the same as TESH and has several drawbacks, but it is a quick and easy solution if syntax highlighting is your priority.

TESH does not work anymore since Reforged. You can't install it with the new version.

The only way to use it, is to use an older version of Wc3 and the old JNGP or Sharpcraft. However, the maps will then only work with the old version of the game, so this is not a good solution.

The situation is a bit unfortunate.

In principle, I am pretty sure that TESH would still work with the World Editor, even in Reforged. However, TESH is not a standalone program, it is a dynamic-link library (dll). As such, it must be loaded by a host process in order to start.

Previously, JNGP loaded TESH on startup and by doing so, TESH is started. It does so, because JNGP loads a dll with the name TESH.dll automatically, by default (if such a dll exists). But since JNGP (and Sharcraft) don't work anymore since Reforged, there is no host process to load TESH and therefore it doesn't work anymore.

The problem could be fixed I guess by simpliy creating some executable like the one from JNGP that loads TESH.dll into the WE (but I don't know how to do that).
Oh, this is sad. I will hope that someone can do this, since TESH is a must when creating maps.

Status
Not open for further replies.