• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Supporting A TV Series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So I download my TV shows via torrents. This is obviously illegal I know. However, I can hardly see the evil in this because it is available to you free via TV, then legit websites such as the official channel 9, 7 or whatever website.

The TV rates it's success off its number of views and makes money accordingly. But if you torrent, then they don't get their "views". I have 2 questions.

1.) Does viewing TV shows off liscensed websites give the TV show "views" and hence money?
2.) If not, how can somebody support the TV show even after torrenting? Note, the TV may not be available to your country or you may not have Foxtel.

You may think why torrent if you want to support them. Well its a simple answer really. I can save a (normally higher quality file) to my laptop. This is without ads and I can pause, resume and rewatch whenever I like. This is all without the need of buying a recording box and having to manually record the show (and still getting ads in your recording).

Level 14
1.) Does viewing TV shows off liscensed websites give the TV show "views" and hence money?

I think their revenue from the website is determined by the ads shown, not by the amount of views, but basically yes. But then again if you use adblock, they aren't making money.

But if you don't watch it via a legit source, the other way to support the show is to buy a boxed set (example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breaking-Bad-Complete-Exclusive-Amazon-co-uk/dp/B0084DYMUY/). Other than that, there's no way to do that, and that's why many cable companies etc. can only blame themselves for not providing a legit source for the viewers (example: HBO and Game of Thrones piracy rates).

This is without ads

Hence why they can't make money off it and in most cases that's all they are truly interested in. That's why it's illegal. If people make watch ratings skyrocket when the series is on, the commercial time will be way more expensive and depending on the contract, those who made the series will get more money (or will raise prices so that whoever buys the series has to pay a greater price due to ratings, because good ratings make sure it will bring more revenue from ads). It's really a popularity>ads>revenue circle that goes around.

Status
Not open for further replies.