• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Capture Video Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
So I wanted to capture video from my laptop. My game runs fine with Hypercam recording, but the actual video produced is very choppy and laggy. I can record in SD no problem, but I am hoping to record in HD.

TV's seem to capture movies/shows perfectly, yet my laptop cannot. I have done a lot of research into the optimal settings including video codecs, compression levels, bit rates, resolutions, etc on various different capture programs but I know it isn't working simply because my computer isn't powerful enough.

What is the difference between how a TV records video and how a computer records video? Perhaps if I understand how TV's record, I may beable to approach this differently to achieve better quality recordings. Can't seem to find much info on the net.

Processor: 2nd Gen Quad Core Intel i7 2Ghz
Memory: 4 GB 1333Mhz
Graphics: Nvidia GT 525m
Storage: 256GB SSD

Level 16
I think it is because a TV displays a signal which is easy to display and save whereas a computer processes data, computer models, textures, etc and must render them.

What I don't understand is that my laptop is powerful enough to run Warcraft 3 to 2 monitors on full resolutions and graphics, while it struggles to record. Why doesn't Hypercam just duplicate the signal? What am I missing?

Level 15
Use fraps or DXtory to capture. Use an external harddrive to store the footage, because you can't properly film and play games on the same harddrive, due to it having to constantly write footage.

If you get a laptop with 600, 700 or 800 nvidia cards, you can use nvidia shadowplay, which is excellent. but since you have the 525, you;ll have to use dxtory or fraps, just make sure you're filming to a separate harddrive from the one on which the WC3 is.

Level 16
Use an external harddrive to store the footage, because you can't properly film and play games on the same harddrive, due to it having to constantly write footage.

Is this necessary when you have a SSD?

Edit:
Use fraps or DXtory to capture.

Wow, Dxtory is like magic. I figured all capture programs would be the same but this program runs it flawlesly and on a higher and more consistent FPS too. Thanks heaps. Not sure why this program runs so much smoother than the various other programs I tired...

Level 15
Well SSDs do not have the cappacity of HDDs, but I guess it should be fine, considering that they are much faster than HDDs.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
TVs cannot record video. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

A VHS ("tape") machine records video in analogue on a thin magnetic film. This means that there is no concept of pixels and instead an image is reconstructed using Analogue to Digital converters (where this happens depends on wiring, usually in the TV as the VHS machine outputs on SCART or other kinds of analogue connector).

A DVD recorder does write digital data. However since DVD is SD it has to do very little work. It also has highly optimized hardware for encoding which can include purpose built integrated circuits and processors.

Blu-ray recorders work in a similar way to DVD recorders but "cranked up to 11". Basically they will have considerably more powerful integrated circuits and processors to manage encoding. This is obvious as HD will use >4 times the processing power over SD.

Smart set-top boxes such as offered by Virgin Media, Sky and Freesat simply use a weaker encoder as they have more space available to them. That is if they can record in HD (at one stage Sky offered a different special box to do that but I think all of them do this by standard now). Again it is probably aided with special purpose hardware and since they all their input sources are already encoded digital it likely can re-encode considerably faster (how it can record multiple channels in HD at once).

Both the Xbox One and Sony PlayStation 4 have dedicated system resources for their live video capture. Specifically about 1/4 of the console processing power and 1/2 of the console memory is dedicated to this although I think they cut that back a bit due to people complaining of poor performance for something brand new.

Modern PC systems which use new NVidia graphic accelerators can use NVidia's GPU video capture system that is part of their GeForce experience drivers. As this mostly uses the GPU for encoding (GPUs are good at that kind of operation) it performs very well and can easily capture HD streams on any decent gaming card without heavily loading the CPU.

Laptops are not designed for video capture. Not only do they have weak GPUs (most probably struggle to run the game, those that do not will certainly struggle with GPU accelerated video capture) but also are highly prone to overheating. Their CPUs are not designed for running at full power continuously as they are built with insufficient cooling. If integrated graphics are used you are limited by fill rate (which video capture uses a lot of) since the main memory is being used by both the CPU (game logic) and the graphics (which needs a lot of memory read/write).

What I don't understand is that my laptop is powerful enough to run Warcraft 3 to 2 monitors on full resolutions and graphics, while it struggles to record. Why doesn't Hypercam just duplicate the signal? What am I missing?
Because a full 1080p HD stream running at 30 FPS when uncompressed consumes 249 MB/sec. 60 FPS? That is 500 MB/sec (or 30 GB/min). As such it has to compress the generated images, preferably with lossy compression, so that the amount of data can be realistically stored. However it still needs to process 250/500 MB/sec worth of image data using computationally expensive algorithms which is why your laptop is struggling. It might even be saturating main memory I/O bandwidth since that is only in the order of a few GB/sec. Reducing to SD works as instead of 250 MB/sec it is only 62.5 MB/sec odd, a huge reduction.

2nd Gen Quad Core Intel i7 2Ghz
Low clock speed which is bad for such computationally intensive tasks. Also probably only runs at 1 GHz on average due to overheating.

Nvidia GT 525m
Poor fillrate, sub gaming power, oldish (3 years). Probably also will overheat and slow down if used at full power. To put it in perspective it is about as powerful as what the PS3 used and that had very few full HD games.

Well SSDs do not have the cappacity of HDDs
Incorrect. They do not have the affordable capacity of mechanical HDDs however they have physical capacity on par. I know this as I just installed a 1TB SDD laptop hard disk for someone which is approximately 1/4 or less of the size of a conventional desktop mechanical drive. It can read and write simultaneously at >200 MB/sec. It did cost like £400 odd so not very affordable when £50 odd nets you several TB of mechanical drive storage.

Level 15
You do know that there are curently 6Tb HDDs?
500$ for 1Tb isnt really affordable.
SSDs mostly have read writes above 450mbp/s.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You do know that there are curently 6Tb HDDs?
500$ for 1Tb isnt really affordable.
Yes, maybe you should re-read what I wrote as that is clearly mentioned.

They do not have the affordable capacity of mechanical HDDs however they have physical capacity on par.
The mechanical drives that are 6TB in size are of a considerably larger format. As mentioned you could easily stack 3-4 1TB SSDs in the same height with smaller footprint. For something that is 1 TB of data, you must not over estimate the size as I quite literally mean it is minuscule compared to say the raptor mechanical drives I am using for my C drive on my desktop (which are only 280 GB each of two and slower). Next to fault tolerance and cost I could replace my two fast raid1 raptor drives with a tiny SSD and have considerably more space with faster I/O speeds.

SSDs mostly have read writes above 450mbp/s.
Yes which is what 200 MB/sec is. 450mbp/s (mega bits per second) is only 56 MB/sec which I would go as far to say that some higher speed mechanical drives obtain.

This topic is not about the fact that SSDs are pretty awesome if you can afford them. It is about his laptop not being powerful enough to live encode HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.