1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Do you have good ideas for new contests? If so, please open new threads in the Contest Submission sub-forum to discuss them.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Support for Dota 2 Mods?

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by thisruoy, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Gismo359

Gismo359

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think it would be cool, but I wont have the chance to mess around with it soon.
    Right now, you need 64bit and DirectX11 support, and I dont have either.

Also, Ive been writting this comment for literally 2 hours. My internet ran out, had to go pay it, ended up setting up my new router.
    Lawl.

2. Solu9

Solu9

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Resources:
  3. F.E.A.R.0

F.E.A.R.0

Resources:
    Resources:
    The official Dota 2 blog: Dota 2 Blog Workshop Tools

The guide on how to download the tools (you need to have steam account and Dota 2 installed so that you can download the tools): Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha Released

YouTube: Testing out Hammer 2014 (Dota 2 Authoring Tools)

I play Dota for 7 years now and still playing it. Some asked if it's like hard like the SC2 editor which is not and has far more futures with the Source 2 engine. When you download the tools the game it's self is porting in Source 2 but both are in alpha stage. The Dota 2 Map Editor is the best and no one can surpass it not even Blizzard them selves. It contains so many new things. On Dota 2 reddit it was asked if this was possible to make in the editor (which is possible): Will this be possible with the new mod tools

4. BlinkBoy

BlinkBoy

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Been looking at it, but it's very limiting in macroscale. The scripting API si completely designined for MOBA only maps.

I think it's biggest up is the terrain editor and the material settings which are the only thing SC2 editor can't match. However, the Data editor looks more like SC1's data editor, it's kinda simple unless you do know a good set of scripting which is not the common case. In my personal opinion, people are just hyped because of the first impression but the tool is really lacking on what is important for modding from a blizzmodder perspective, which is to use the tools for making any kind of game.

The tool also relies more on 3d graphics knowledge which is a downside for a guy who just wants touse assets and manipulate them at ease.

5. Geshishouhu

Geshishouhu

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    +100

It's not only an excellent idea, it's a great idea! :D

6. @BlinkBoy maybe it's not meant for general modding purposes, but solely for MOBAs? I dunno ..

Well if what Blinky said is true that it's for moba modding, this can't happen sadly :s

Still moba modding isn't bad is it :p

7. Ezekiel12

Ezekiel12

Resources:
    Resources:
    I could not agree more with some of the opinions. Tutorials and just some people who know their shit really attracts new users.

If it takes of this might be the decision to save the hive someday. Imagine earning money from making maps, even if its just a little bit. MONEY!! Never would my old eyes have dreamed such a thing.

To draw new completely unrelated users the hive sections/structure would have to clean up a bit though. The style is good I think, looks nice cartoony (thehelper looks so bad nowadays = )). Too many confusing subsections for new users though, especially all the forum projects..

8. Rui

Rui

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh feck :S There go our hopes.

9. Ezekiel12

Ezekiel12

Resources:
    Resources:
    No they don't, it's an alpha. No final judgement yet.

10. F.E.A.R.0

F.E.A.R.0

Resources:
    Resources:
  11. GunSlinger

GunSlinger

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh my. The editor looks really complex. People are gonna have a hard time modding this.

12. thisruoy

thisruoy

Resources:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's really not. Obviously there will be a learning curve to it, but the language is simple and easy to transition to from JASS.

13. Geshishouhu

Geshishouhu

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    There will be several RPG maps made by the Dota2 workshop tools in the coming couple weeks, although it's in China. I think THW as one of the best modding site in the world should at least consider creating a section for it.