• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Hero Arena] Super Smash Bros : War v0.2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Built in about a week or two, this is Smash Bros translated into Warcraft3. And "Translated" is a keyword here.

Gameplay:
- 4 way FFA arena matches between 4 heroes. Deal damage to increase knockback on that player. Knock them out of the ring 3 times to kill them. Be the last player standing in a match to win.
- All heroes have 8 moves : [R] "Jab", [D]/[F] "Down/Forward Smash", [A] "Roll"(Blink), [QWER] Four unique hero moves.
Jab/DownSmash/F-Smash are all unique for each hero, but there isn't enough difference in this version to bother mentioning.
- 6 playable Heroes, 3 stages, 2 modes, up to 8 players!
- All stages have several songs that play at random when a match starts.

8 Players!
Each arena can hold only 4 players, but you can have 8 players in a room. Meaning you can have 2 matches going on at the same time. This is ALSO useful because as soon as you are eliminated from a match, you pick a character and re-enter the lobby. Meaning that if 2 people from each lobby are eliminated, that's 4 people waiting around that can just start another arena on their own.
Basically it keeps players from having to wait around for a match.

1v1
Yes, you can. Simply start an arena early by having 2 or 3 players type "-start".

This is definitely an Open Beta kind of release. If people enjoy the map and actually play it enough, I can easily add more to it. And if there's no interest in it, then it was better to stop now than put more effort into nothing.

The rest of this post is assuming you have a basic understanding of Smash Bros.

~ "Translated" Gameplay ~
I could have ACTUALLY recreated Smash in WC3. Like 1 for 1 exact same gameplay/mechanics. I could have simply re-worked WarriorSouls2's engine to be 2D and that would have worked perfectly.
But I wanted it to maintain the topdown WC3 aesthetic. Plus, I knew that the WS2 engine, even stripped to 2D, would be too straining for 8 players after more than a few minutes.

~ Incomplete Game ~
- Missing Mechanics -

Shields, Grabs, and Items don't exist yet. They're more than possible, It'd just take a few hours working out their unique aspects. Shields require adding shield damage to all moves, Items require grabs to work first, and grabs involve a complex pause/QTE kind of scenario would take a few hours to work out.
Rage hasn't been added yet, because I thought it best to run the game vanilla for now to see how everything balances out(and rage might make that less clear).
Final Smashes are also planned(and the host can disable them, along with items), along with Boss Fights(2vBoss or 4vBoss, depending on the boss).
Walls & Environmental hazards also don't exist yet, simply for lack of time right now.
- Roster -
There is a lot left out of this version. The starting roster is 4+2 with Mario/Samus/Pikachu/Luigi and Dark Samus/Pichu as Echo fighters. The rest of the original 12 have mechanics that these 6 don't cover.
Kirby/Yoshi/CaptainFalcon all make use of Command Grabs for their specials, which require Grabs to exist.
Link was cut because his Bow&Arrow and Bomb specials require items&grabs to both be working.
Donkey Kong/Jigglypuff require Bury/Sleep respectively, which are slight more complex flinch mechanics.
And Fox...needed me to make a model for him. Mechanically he can exist just fine already, but he just doesn't have a model yet.
- Unlockables -
Something you'll notice is that Luigi/DarkSamus/Pichu all have to be "Unlocked" before you can pick them that match. This means that you have to press [F] twice and...that's all it means.
If the map continues I intend to implement a save/load function so that you can unlock characters/items/outfits/etc by doing certain things. Right now, all three are enabled by default so that the roster has 6 starting characters.
In example ; Luigi's unlock condition is "4th place in a battle", Dark Samus is "1st place as Samus", and Pichu's is "1st place in Stamina Battle". They're just enabled by default atm.
- Animations -
Lemme be clear that I made none of these models, nor their animations. If the map proves popular, the first thing I wanted to do is just remake the models where needed and re-animate all of them for every single move same as I did with Warrior Souls 2. At that point, the Smashes&Jabs will be much more unique and worth mentioning. I also intended to add a second "Down Tilt" Jab move for variety sake, along with jab combos.

There's enough here for people to figure if this is worth playing or building a community around.
If they want it, I'll make it better. If they don't...Well then that's that.

Attachments

• WC3SmashBros 0.2.0.w3x
    11.9 MB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Level 5
Update v0.1.4 :
+ Added Stage 3 "Bowser's Castle".
+ Added the "-exit" command to leave an arena.
+ Added the Player1 "-hitbox on" command to show the hitboxes of moves, including sweet/sour spots.
- Overall several bug fixes and stability patches.
- Fixed ALL the glitches caused by a player leaving the game while in arena.

This makes the map [playable], which makes me [done] for now probably.

Last edited:
Level 5
With a bit of free time, I decided to be completely insane as always:

V0.2.0 :
- Added Fighters #7 "Fox McCloud" and #7e "Falco Lombardi"
(Completely scratch built models with scratch built animations)
- New songs for all stages, of which there are now three stages.
- Rage Meter has been added AND can be enabled/disabled by Player 1 via character select screen.
- Camera overhaul and severe balance changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.