• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Suggestion] To enter dungeon 4...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Quest name: The Potion of Heroism (name can be changed of course)
Make a quest which every player has to complete before they can enter D4. Lorewise it would be a quest from an alchemist npc to gather the ingredients for a potion, which makes the cold/warmth/radiation/whatever tolerable to the hero who tries to enter. Upon completion, lorewise it would mean the potion was made by the quest-giving alchemist, and that the player then drank it - thereby being ready to enter. The ingredients should be some special venom sack (kill brood mother), some X ingredient from the new 1.2B outdoor monsters, and finally an ancient tablet (with the recipe for the potion on it) (kill gargoyle). This quest will do two things to improve the upcoming release:

1. Make the mountain area and bosses (almost) persistently important - you don't just skip directly to D4 and its better gear, simply because you can't without killing BM and gargoyle.

2. average joe and his brother will not be able to go to D4 unless they pull themselves together, and kill brood mother + gargoyle (not to talk about the lesser challenge of getting the rest of the ingredients from mobs).

After the quest is completed, the player can go into D4. Without the quest, a trigger will keep him out with lore explanation being on screen *as you try to enter, you feel a mighty force striking you back* or something like this.

Level 21
That seems like extra restrictions for the sake of restrictions. What does it actually offer?

Also, don't know about BM, but garg is not part of the main story. Zwieb has explained that the rune hammer required to get to him will probably not be very common among newer generations of players and that it's more of a reward to those who play the game in depth.... or something in those lines.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
What is actually offers: Makes your first time in D4 feel more interesting and epic. You have after all just completed an attunement quest. Something that you can be moderately proud of :). I think this is a very good reason. In a game like Wow (back in 2005 that is) it would have been too laughable to see noobs go into the top raids without the attunement restrictions that actually forced people to show that they had at least a small level of skill, I think the same idea works for Dungeon 4 in Gaias.

Level 14
1. Make the mountain area and bosses (almost) persistently important - you don't just skip directly to D4 and its better gear, simply because you can't without killing BM and gargoyle.

I like this, maybe it doesnt have to be gargoyle tho..
When Ogres&Gnolls were added to the game new people started skipping D2, most players who started Gaias after 1.2A was released never even played D3. Some maps force the players to run through all the older content (for example TKoK only lets you enter new areas when you completed certain tasks in the previous one).
This kind of quest seems like a nice solution.

Level 1
I agree that there should be restrictions to go into new areas before going through the previous areas, but I think that it apply to new players only. Why punish the experienced players who have done all the bosses in the mountain area many times over, getting a decent team for gargoyle is hard enough as it is. I would suggest adding quests for d3 for anyone lower than lvl 40 or 37, in order for them to be able to access the mountain bosses, and one quest to kill the firelord and shade obviously, as that would add more depth to the game experience, not to mention lore wise, and it would expose new players to more content. And add quests for mountain area like jumbo mentioned, that players lower than lvl 45 or 47 would have to complete in order to enter d4. And obviously if players reach a higher lvl, say like 48-50 by any other means and haven't completed the quests, they would still not be able to enter d4, and same goes for d3 and d2.

And maybe adding quests to complete d3 before you can enter d4 regardless of what lvl you are and if you completed the mountain area quests or not would be a good idea as well IMO.

P.S. It's a pain to get some people to do d3 just for old times sakes is a pain, it's always about getting the better/best gear as fast as possible without doing anything fun nowadays :p

Level 14
I agree that there should be restrictions to go into new areas before going through the previous areas, but I think that it apply to new players only. Why punish the experienced players who have done all the bosses in the mountain area many times over, getting a decent team for gargoyle is hard enough as it is. I would suggest adding quests for d3 for anyone lower than lvl 40 or 37, in order for them to be able to access the mountain bosses, and one quest to kill the firelord and shade obviously, as that would add more depth to the game experience, not to mention lore wise, and it would expose new players to more content. And add quests for mountain area like jumbo mentioned, that players lower than lvl 45 or 47 would have to complete in order to enter d4. And obviously if players reach a higher lvl, say like 48-50 by any other means and haven't completed the quests, they would still not be able to enter d4, and same goes for d3 and d2.
No way, this doesnt make sense, also you shouldnt see questing as "punishment". For level 50 players with 1.2 gear its not hard to kill those bosses anyway (as they did it a dozen times before).
The problem about d3 and shade is that the old content just isnt hard anymore. Many heroes can solo Shade and with two players its really easy to clear D3.

I will not force players to go back in the content and beat bosses/encounters that are intended for lower levels. That would be a bad game design. The attunement for D4 will involve level 50 quests and outdoor bosses only.

There's still numerous reasons to visit old content for players that skipped it:
For example, the Seal drop from the Shade. I increased the droprate to 10% in one of the last updates to allow people to "farm" it.
Also, some of the legendary items from D3 will be upgradable to level 50 through crafting.

D1 and D2 are still being visited by new players, simply for the quests involved with them and the drops. I recently added item rewards to those quests aswell to make it worth running those dungeons at least once when leveling up.

In case I will somehow get Gaias to 1.3 (three more major updates will come before that *cough*), I will also implement heroic modes for the three other dungeons to adjust them to level 50 content.

Level 4
I agree with most of the people, some system to block area progression and force people to do d1 d2 and d3

Level 5
I've helped numerous people boost farm through the entire game content, and from what I saw, some people like to go only with same level party, some people like to be boosted but still wanna go thru current-level gear hunt (as they would do if they were soloing) while on the side they're doing some quests and killing close-lvl mobs for exp, and some people go for exp alone and hunt d1 d2 (mostly they even leave it for later) only for scrolls cuz they have to and instead they go for max exp cus that'd give them enuf power to hunt the subsidiary things later on their own.

The invisible beauty of it is that Gaias gives people the freedom to do what they please with their game experience. It's the same reason people love it, and here we are asking to destroy that very same reason! If you enter "force" and "make" into your line of thought as you make new content, the system is bound to fail one day.

@ryusora: E.g. if it's to force people to try the beauty of the game, like u said in another thread, it means you're presuming people won't appreciate the beauty of the game without being forced to. That's as absurd as it sounds, and in itself, is ugliness.

Level 4
You skip dungeons and therefore storyline, you are missing the beauty.
But hey i am not the one building up the game i will still play it if i am forced or not to go through specific content.

Level 5
You skip dungeons and therefore storyline, you are missing the beauty.
But hey i am not the one building up the game i will still play it if i am forced or not to go through specific content.

No they won't skip. Trust them they're gamers too. They will each play it the way it's better for them. Only you know whats best for you, right?
There are people like me who play all 10 classes, imagine being forced to do something 10 times as well.
We need the decency to recognize people' right to free choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.