• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Resource System Suggestion for new tool -> texture finder

Anything to do with the resource system. Bundles, resources, upload, search.
So I propose to add a section/tool to the site (called for example "Texture finder") where there is a search bar where a person can type in tags separated by comma and based on these tags to find ingame textures. This would be very useful for modelers who wants to quickly find the best texture to use in their models. Of course all textures, with their paths, and tags (decided by the person listing them) should be filled in manually before posting the page.
Also next to the search bar you have checkboxes for: [game patch], [search in which MPQs], [search type: ALL tags or ANY tags]
also 3 radio buttons: "search by tags", "search in names", "both"

In the result list box it will be displayed as:

[the image] [its path in the MPQ]* [all tags of the texture]** [patch version]

* it begins with the MPQ where it is located. For example: War3x.MPQ\Textures\Bunker.blp
** example tags: skin, man, woman, child, animal, human, orc, undead, nightelf, building, brick, metal, glow, teamcolor, organic, mechanical, interface, UI, hero, nonhero, terrain, combined, tree, decoration ..... etc

I was thinking of making an app like this, but if you can put in in the site, why bother.

I think such section would be REALLY REALLY useful for modelers

I feel like this would be better as a desktop tool where you give it your WC3 folder as argument. Making this a la carte a viewing of anything within the WC3 archives could pose legal problems for me. But it's a cool idea.
if it's uploaded as a software tool wouldnt it again pose legal problem? There are such already like the WC3 Registry fixer. So who takes the legal problem blame? the site or the maker of the tool?

Last edited:
Could be developed as an extension for extension to RMS. I mean the possibility to tag textures up. Then someone would need to tag up textures with reasonable tags of course... Probably let people setup "Tag Lists" and then, if someone makes a good one merge it as "Default Tag List". Should probably split reforged and classic. Hmm...