• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Suggestion] Decrease the levelling speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Hello everyone.

I realise this has been done before, but now that Gaias is in a more completed state I think it is a good time to decrease the levelling speed even further.

In my opinion, Gaias, with the current levelling speed, is little else than a race towards lvl 50. The D3 items and now even the foothills items seem superfluous as players can quickly rush through those areas, even with semi-poor gear. This is a shame, as I remember when Mytargas forest was actually a place to enjoy rather than quickly skipping through. Gaias is a huge RPG already compared to most, but this is reduced to the snow area for the most part due to everyone being high level.

Please note that I realise souls were partially made to counter the high lvl only problem, but now I feel that further measures a appropriate.

My suggestions:
- decrease xp gain by 25-40%
-(if map size allows) add one repeatable quest to the Foothills to compensate.

These changes will make Gaias seem like a bigger game.

Level 8
What's the problem to keep playing there? You get minimum xp, once you ding 2-3 lvls.. not a big difference to difficoulty(just dont use item gifts from friends), and u can stay there all day long ;)

Level 8
Cos peoples have free will and individual taste ;)

Personaly I dislike only those, who try to force their point of view to others...

Level 8
The current levelling feels spot on to me, especially when not playing with OP souls. Gaias was never meant to be too much of an XP-grind. Also, if you don't want to rush, you can totally just take your time. I think that's a better design than forcing players to mindlessly grind a bunch more creeps. Anything's game except boosting IMO.

N.B. Blackfire Deep is hotter than the rest of the game put together.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I think the leveling speed is good as it is now. Dragging the leveling process out even further would harm the game, as the pacing especially in midlevel zones already feels slow.

It's all about how you play it. If you take your time to run each dungeon at least once and do some crafting here and there, you will have a much better game experience than when you just rush it to 50 just to farm the Whitepine content.
People need to learn not to ruin their own fun.

Level 8
Dude, what's the problem to level slower?
You get less xp once u got higher lvl, so you can lvl on mobs 3-4 lvl lower than you and poooof here you got slower leveling... No reason to annoy forumers with wish list.

Level 10
i agree with what zwieb saids but we need to do something about boosting because it is really stupit if you say it i mean my first char was boosted i was playing in 3rd person and i loved exploring that new zones loved it but actually i was boosted only if i was not boosted i would have a lot better experience

my suggestion:
i know this will be very hard but its maybe worth of it

if lvl 50 enters low lvl zones there will spawn mini bosses for lvl 40-50

i mean i am sure this is not gonna be in the game but i hope zwieb will do something about boosting

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
Your idea sadly won't work Sluk. I think the boosting issue has been masterfully erased already by the penalties system.

To the rest:
I suppose my recurring problem is that I want Gaias to be immersive in a way that isn't possible in a Warcraft 3 map. Namely, joinable open games. The WC3 player limit and cumbersome hosting system takes away any chance of a huge world in a global community. This is reduced in Wc3 to a huge world limited by 6-12 players.
Inventing the Craft tried to create exactly this feature, but unfortunately their project died years ago. It would have been revolutionising.

Level 8
So guy who dont play gaia for long time, and guy who quited gaia, argue about useless change to the game... How Awesome...

Level 7
I think I agree with the premise here, but I don't think I agree with the actual suggestion.

If I understand correctly, I think Jumbo is asking that players actually take some extra time to do ALL of the content thats available as we level up. Considering how powerful higher level white gear is compared to lower level blue gear, we're always better off just advancing our levels as fast as possible rather than taking the time to gear up at certain points. Dungeons end up getting skipped and players miss out on stuff that we used to spend hours having fun playing. I don't think its ideal, but at the same time, I don't think a system that forces players to do certain content at certain points is really any better. Since most of the playerbase is end game ready anyway, forcing lower level players to spend extra time until they can play with the player base isn't good. Most big name MMO's rush you through the lower level content for this exact reason. Isolating newbies isn't going to attract them to the game, its going to do the opposite.

Honestly I think the biggest gripe I'd currently have with Gaias is how easy the current end game content is. While I understand world bosses aren't meant to be hard, they've still come across as a bit too easy to truly feel like an end game adventure. If I were to ask for any change (Not that it'll do any good at this point now anyway) it would be for the current end game world bosses to feel like dungeon level difficult, and then nerf them down to proper world boss difficulty when the fourth dungeon is finally actually released. That way we'd get that end game feel from current end game content, and even if the newer players get rushed to 50, they still have a long road ahead of them from getting to base level 50, to max gear level 50. With how easy the current bosses are, there really isn't much of a road.

Jumbo

Hosted Project GR
Level 19
I don't think upscaling all of the whitepine bosses and then later downscaling is a good idea. It feels inconsistent to me. From what I've seen, many lvl 50 groups actually fail miserably against Zharo and Overseer even now. I could, however, agree to make one of the bosses permanently stronger - Zharo seems like a good choice. It makes sense since he is actually skippable and thus could work as sort of a new 'gargoyle-boss'. That said, I think that D4 is where literally everyone should finally get a consistent challenge. That is, even best gear people have to follow tactics carefully even if they can do the fight quicker than lower geared players. Of course the content after D4 will surely be the real end-endgame (say in Wow terms; D4 = MC/Ony, post-D4 = BWL-Naxx).

Finally, with the endless dungeon already in the game (and soon with rewards), I think there is enough content to satisfy the needs of the community until D4.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I don't think that the current endgame balancing needs adjustment. Yeti is meant to be rather easy, yet I do see groups occasionally fail at him. Overseer was intended to be hard, but he can be outgeared pretty well, so with a party that is fully equipped, this fight tends to get much easier.
Zharo is super hard in its current incarnation and I rarely see groups that manage to kill him consistently without any wipes.

So far, the randomized dungeon poses the biggest challenge and that is intended. I don't see many players actually having a normal keystone, let alone a greater keystone, so there is your challenge if you seek one. It will certainly make your life easier to get keystones now, as I am currently working on all kinds of neat rewards for Blackfire Deep, including:
- new legendaries
- ethereal items (items that level with your hero and can be used inside Blackfire Deep on subsequent runs)
- special mounts
- vault collectables (this is the new replacement for the former tome idea, which I found boring and inconsistent in design)

... the collectables are just that. Small treasures, things or statues that you can collect in a new small extra area of your vault. They are specific to the hero classes and will have static stats and come in the usual item quality types. These collectables can only be found in Blackfire. However, the bonuses granted by these collectables are FAR smaller than those granted by souls. Think of them as tiny extra tidbits for those who really want to max out everything. For example, one such collectable could grant +1% evasion. Another could grant +3 armor. You get the idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.